Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:51 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Howdy,
WE got plenty of Steigs in stock with servos in the wings.
Aramid/Space, and Disser Dbox.

Interested?
bob@soaringusa.com

Best,
Bob

I'm wondering if you still offer the Steig build service?
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Steig

Hi Ken,
Yes we offer builds on all of our models..

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:40 AM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Hey guys- I just finished building a new steig with top drive. It was a very enjoyable building experience.theres room to spare in the fuse and the top drive is very straightforward .it did require more lead in the nose than my previous steig( 4 servo in fuse)which makes me think that they could beef up the nose with more Kevlar now, structural weight instead of dead weight.additionally they could reduce the dimensions now that there's less radio gear in fuse .just ideas.I couldn't maiden today cause of wind,but it's on for tomorrow.many thanks to skip and Cody for Thier first class customer service .
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:18 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Good luck! you're going to love it! I prefer it over the old version!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Everything went great! Conditions were windy but was able to get bout 25 good flights .specked out only once, but I was mainly flyin to check the set up .fort impressions are very positive. I like this version better .next outing I'll pick a calm day and do some fine tuning.these steigs can climb in lift and return very well. Tom
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2010
328 Posts
Hi Guys,

Today i have made the test flight for my Steig, it was a nice conditions after a week of stormy and rainy weather.

The Top Drive works grate, no flutters, and it fly smoothly,
I can't share my full impression since i'll have to test it in different conditions and some other setups including changing the CG to a much forward position.
Today i flew it with 75 -76 mm from the LE, it was very sensitive sensing the air,
but very tricky while it was far away from me to see the angle it flew in.

i am planning to add 5 grams in the nose in order to place the CG at 71-72 mm and see how it behaves,
total weight then would reach 290 grams

pics of my steig and RAM3 scores from today launching.

Gil
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:05 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Hey guys, unfortunately I gotta report a crash.my new steig was launching very well , good rotation and climb every throw.I went to throw harder and my thumb bumped ( moved) the flap stick down slightly during my rotation.when the plane left my fingertips it immediatey went nose down , I went for the elev stick but my fingers hung up briefly on the toggle sw just above - plane was javlined in ground bout 50 feet from me. Everything ok exept wing. It was ripped in half . Very humbling,I can't stand seein anybody's new ship crash.so sad to break a beautiful model-specially after 3 days flyin.well I had my older steig wing so I converted it to top drive. It was super easy and works/flys great.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:46 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,383 Posts
Try this!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3030
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:34 AM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks man-that spring would have easily prevented the accident. Also,The problem I was having is my flap-elev mix.I can't figure out how to dial it so the elev moves in snc with flaps in land mode.the elev moves to much to quickly, as long as I pulled full flap it was a good mix . But at the top it's all down elev with not much flap,thus the diving path it took.I've tried to adjust the elev without success ,,I suck at computers.and I think I'm the only pilot in Nm that flies sd 10g .
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:53 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Tom on your trims menu (#10 in the f-mode menus), make sure the elevator trim in landing mode matches the elevator trim in whatever mode you're in on your final approach (speed mode?). While in that menu, pull flap stick to check it... If they don't match, the elevator will jump when the flaps are deployed. You'll use Flap>EL mix and may need to use a multi-point mix to keep it smooth at all flap positions.

SD10Gs are excellent Transmitters. You have lots of friends here enjoying Airtronics.

John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks John - that info is big time help. Do you know how to make the launch mode ( on momentary sw)override reflex -speed mode on the 3 pos toggle? On launch I want to hold the momentary sw(up elev +chamber) then release sw and be in speed for rest of climb, but the momentary sw (launch)won't override the speed mode.thanks in advance for any help
Tom
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:42 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Thats painfull, sorry to hear about that, I always keep my thumb on the gimbal making sure to push up on it durring launch, or you could go to using the old rubber band trick if you want. That works very well!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2010
328 Posts
Hi,

It is sad to hear that , it happened to me ones and since then i learned my lesson.

after that incident i programmed all my DLG's Aurora9 transmitter setup in a way that during launching the B-Fly is disabled, so even if i left the left stick down during launch, it wan't get into effect in the 40-50 meters during launch climbing
just after releasing the launch preset toggle it will affect the plane but then it will be high enough to fix the issue without any problem

Gil
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:21 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
... Do you know how to make the launch mode ( on momentary sw)override reflex -speed mode on the 3 pos toggle? On launch I want to hold the momentary sw(up elev +chamber) then release sw and be in speed for rest of climb, but the momentary sw (launch)won't override the speed mode.thanks in advance for any help
Tom
IIRC, the higher F-mode numbers over-ride the lower numbers in the SW ASSIGN menu, so if you set landing as #4, it over-rides any other flight mode...

On my setup, To achieve what you are wanting, I have F-MODE 1 as my "climb" mode set at switch position >16>AND>24 in the SW ASSIGN menu, with 16 as the climb mode and 24 being the launch momentary switch. Then I program presets for launch... With the switch 24 activated, I set the elevator and camber for launch using the trim switches (T1 and T5). When the launch mode switch is released, the F-mode automatically switches to "climb" (#16) with its seperate positions for reflex and and elevator for the rest of the launch. I have speed/cruise as a seperate F-mode. I only use "climb" mode for launch, or as a "get the hell out of there quick" mode.

Hope this helps!
John
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:24 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks guys,I normally have my thumb positioned safely where it has good grip but can't accidentally bump the gimbal. But right before that launch I took a deeper hold on the tx , not thinking about the tip of my thumb makin brief contact with gimbal.I hope I learned several lessons from this misshapen.I think I did.I've had two flyin sessions since then and I'm continually amazed how fun flyin dlg is -throwing ,thermalin,hand catching .I leave the field grinnin like a little kid .I love flyin these dlg's
Tom