SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined May 2010
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
Does anyone know if the latest steigs ( top drive)are finishing out at the same weight as the previous ones(4 servo in fuse)?
Also if anyone has build/flight reports on the top drive version I'd like to read bout it
Yep, i almost finished mine, i am waiting for the blade to arrived,

Till now the weight is around 284 Grams adding the blade i might reach 288 - 290, depends on the way i'll glue it.

To be honest it is a bit disappointing since i thought i could reach a lower Total weight, something around 270-275 grams.

the problem is that since 2 of the servos has been moved back, causing a rare CG problem, i was forced to use a heavy servos (2 x Hyperion scd09) in order to balanced it a bit forward, and still need to add some 5 grams in the nose for balanced it on 71-73 mm.

maybe if i gave up the elevator original system and use a regular stabs i might loose some wight on the tail enable me to use a lighter setup in the nose.
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
IOWA
Joined Feb 2001
22 Posts
TmFury
Yes, Please share.
Thanks in advance.
Sean

I tried to buy from Miller, however whey were out of stock.
MEGAHURTZ is offline Find More Posts by MEGAHURTZ
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:41 AM
IOWA
Joined Feb 2001
22 Posts
Yep. I got nervous when a put my blade on and used to much stuff.
Then used a small drill on the other side and wicked thin ca into the foam to balance the wing. I will not balance a wing again... over 300gr. AUW.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks for the info beetle jet, that's exactly what I was worried about. I'll probably try to go with a bigger heavyer tx batt to get the cg on.
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Megahertz,I can walk you through the radio set up I'm using on a phone call cause I don't have a home computer only this iPhone. 505 263 7242. Gimi a shout anytime
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
IOWA
Joined Feb 2001
22 Posts
sd10 set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
Megahertz,I can walk you through the radio set up I'm using on a phone call cause I don't have a home computer only this iPhone. 505 263 7242. Gimi a shout anytime
Nice, thank you Tmfury.
I am just about through the manual.
My deal right now is coupling the flap stick to RA and LA or at least this is how I set up the channel assignment.

Does any buddy have a hand launch / SD10 set up link? In the manual they say that there would be a place to share programs at the Airtronics web site, however I can not find it.
Last edited by MEGAHURTZ; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Just got my topdrive done, pretty happy with how tight the flapperons are, and the trailerons are much shorter than the old wing so I'm crossing my fingers this wingtip is stronger than the last. I was also a bit dissapointed by the auw, only about 10 grams lighter but the strength and quality of the wing are much better!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Brandon, that's great the auw is liter than before . Did you find it takes more lead in the nose to balance cg? I'm hopein my new one will be a little lighter, but it's seems like it will have to have more weight in nose since 2 servos have moved further aft.how's the range of motion with top drive flaperons? Seems like it will work better
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:18 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Yeah I had to put a few grams in the nose my weight thus far at 75mm is 284g. this may be just slightly aft, too windy to test today, maybe in the morning before work!
My biggest concern is the peg, the wing tip is so thin and there is very little hard point moulded in. Make sure before you install you give the tip a good squeeze to find the hardpoint and put the peg inside that. If you go outside make sure you inject some micro ballons and epoxy to extend the hardpoint a little.

Brandon
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks for the beta on the peg , I'll be real careful .what adhesive is best, I've heard thin ca and some say epoxy, on my first one I used epoxy and it worked real good. Do you use a li po ? I have been but Id like to see about a nim hd like a 2/3aaa 400mah any advice ? Thanks. Tom
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
Tom,
I used 5min epoxy mixed with carbon powder. Works pretty well never had a failure. I guess im old school, I like ni-mh 350 mah from tower hobbies. they are perfect for the steig and i get almost two hours of flight time. I only get around an hour with my stobel, guess that shows how much spring pull drains in comparison. And those batteries are under 10 bucks! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHBB0&P=0

Brandon
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Thanks brandon,I'm gonna order 2 of those batteries from tower.
Last edited by Tmfury; Nov 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
got the new wing out flying today! Was great! topdrive is excellent! wing launches well, no noticeable extra drag! works windy conditions very well. still doesnt climb as fast as my v2 but fun plane to fly!

Brandon
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Steigs

Howdy,
WE got plenty of Steigs in stock with servos in the wings.
Aramid/Space, and Disser Dbox.

Interested?
bob@soaringusa.com

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
I just finished mine with top drive. I'm gonna mmaiden tomorrow.