SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:47 AM
Aussie F3K Pilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2008
564 Posts
Steig's are awesome!

I now have a second hand Steig (thanks Jon) and I was moved to post here because I have just had my first outing with it and this plane is AWESOME!
I have been flying a Salpeter for a little while and it hangs just as well the Salpeter in the light stuff and has a better launch, cruise l/d and penetration. I don't know why the Steig has a bad rep for handling, but I loved it and it is my new favorite plane.

I fly around in thermal mode, flick to cruise to chase a thermal and then thermal in thermal mode.

My one day old setup is:
Flaps pre-set for thermal mode 3mm
Elevator to Flap mix 0mm in thermal mode.
Flaps for cruise 0mm
Penetration from down wind 0mm or -1.5mm
Ailerons at 0 differential
Aileron to Rudder mix 0mm

The other key (and this might be why it gets a bad rep) is to set the cg so the plane will fly hands off (put the Tx on the ground) in thermal mode (in calm conditions) for extended periods of time. You should be able to trim it right back to fly relatively slowly and get 2min+ in hang time. Keep moving the cg back until it gets unstable and you need lots of small inputs to keep it flying (your hang time will drop sharply to 1:40) and then come forward a bit, back into the stable range. I don't measure CG's, just set them for the handling you want.

It seems like Steig's don't like too much happening to the T.E i.e. don't like the surfaces flapping around all the time with E-F and A-R mix.

Just my 2c

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marcus
Machineman is online now Find More Posts by Machineman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
Yes, no mixing for me..
and limited use of rudder in thermal turns. For me, an initial rudder input to start, then I'm off the rudder.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:25 PM
Greg Short
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Jul 2008
294 Posts
I think it floats well too. Mine seems to float in light air as well as my taboo, but with a higher launch, netting longer flight times. It also handles turbulence and high wind as well as my blaster 2's or 3. A little ballast in high wind and it is as stable as anything. I am having great results just flying it in cruise mode (zero camber) in all conditions. It seems very sensitive to camber, but maybe I should mess with cg a little more. I also haven't flown upwind with neg. camber. I will try that on my next fly day.
gshort72 is offline Find More Posts by gshort72
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
I'll try some of that Greg,
The last time out with you I had been leaning on the rudder. I'll take it out of the mix and see how things work. I had a suspicion that was the case with ail-rud mix on this one (even my very low mix). I'll slow my left thumb down too!
I have about 1.5mm camber preset for cruse, maybe .5mm more for thermal, at times I feel it's too much.
Cool deal, see ya at CASA!

Yep, it launches well...understatement of the thread!~
Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:59 PM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Hey proud Steig owners,

How do you guys attach/bind/connect your flaperons to the trilerons?

Thanks,
Adnan
randomtask is offline Find More Posts by randomtask
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:30 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,399 Posts
tape.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
Landing is inevitable
Singapore
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Cool! The manual showed tape with a small CF rod. Just seemed too finicky.

Thanks for succinct answer Kenny.

Cheers,
Adnan
randomtask is offline Find More Posts by randomtask
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
I had good results with clear tape placed on top but well short of te.however,I would prefer something better.
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:40 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask View Post
Hey proud Steig owners,

How do you guys attach/bind/connect your flaperons to the trilerons?

Thanks,
Adnan
you can also fill the gap with silicone caulking compound. it stretches some and is very clean. i have not tried it on the steig or any other plane, but it came already done on an F3B plane of mine.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
If anyone has a Steigeisen for sale let me know!

Silicone can be done using transparent tape on one side to get a clean surface finish, make sure it's 100% silicone and the tape is transparent not clear. Don't peel the tape off early... patiance, it takes like 24hrs.

PM me if you have Steig!
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
Greg Short
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Jul 2008
294 Posts
Okay, I put in 1-2mm of negative camber for the upwind returns to the field, I have to say that there was a huge difference in strong wind. It was noticably faster in a dive from high altitude. This was all done during the CASA contest last weekend, so I need some more time to experiment with it in a relaxed setting. I have a d-box disser and a carbon version. The disser is my go to plane, and the carbon is ballasted up and is now the plane of choice in windy conditions. Both planes do fine in either setting though.
Man I love these things.
gshort72 is offline Find More Posts by gshort72
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:39 AM
Aussie F3K Pilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2008
564 Posts
Steig update

Hi all,
My Steig is still my favorite plane and I choose it over my Salpeter, FW5 and Blaster 2.

There has been a an evolution of the settings I originally posted. The big difference now is I fly the Steig a lot more agressively (tighter turns)than when I started (smooth and open) and the setting reflect this:

1. My CG is a little way forward from what I normally fly my planes at, and is at 70mm from the L.E (recommended 73mm).
2. Snap flap is now at 5mm (yes 5mm) as the plane was getting mushy when I tried to do a tight turn. Now it flies much tighter circles and the flap does not make it draggy! I have it in all modes.
3. My differential has increased to about 35% (12mm up and 8mm down).
4. I have about 2mm of Rudder mixed into the Aileron to Rudder mix.
5. I have two thermal setting, a 2mm and a 4mm setting. I fly 90% of the time in the 2mm setting and the 4mm setting is only used in dead calm conditions or extreme thermals.
6. My reflex setting is -1.5mm, but I am thinking of going back to neutral with some down trim and try it for a while.
7. I have a two stage launch, the first (on a sprung switch) has 1mm positive flap for the rotation and the second (on a normal switch) has 1.5mm reflex.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marcus
Last edited by Machineman; Oct 04, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
Россия, город Санкт-Петербург, город Санкm
Joined May 2009
120 Posts
Thanks Markus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineman View Post
7. I have a two stage launch, the first (on a sprung switch) has 1mm positive flap for the rotation and the second (on a normal switch) has 1.5mm reflex.
Please tell me more about first stage of Launch? Why You preffered flaps down? I'm using only stabilizer and maximum speed (1-1.5mm flaps up) for first stage of launch. I'm think it's better for maximum starting speed.
WWS_RU is offline Find More Posts by WWS_RU
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:36 PM
Aussie F3K Pilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2008
564 Posts
The first stage has the +1mm to get the plane to rotate faster and more efficiently.

The theory is the same as using elevator to camber mixing, when you are trying to pull up you need positive camber and when you are trying to go fast you need negative camber. It doesn't matter how fast you go, the same theory applies (just to a slightly less extent). It is an efficiency thing, a cambered airfoil rotates more efficiently than a reflexed one.

I found if I try and launch with -1.5 or -2.5 negative camber the plane will not rotate (because the airfoil is in the go fast mode and not the lift mode) and the plane mushes (tail down) as I let go of the plane and I do not get a good launch.

Try a practical example, put your plane in reflex (-2,5), fly along at a good speed and then pull up using no snap flap. It pulls up slowly, with the tail down and doesnt gain a lot of height. Now try again with 5mm of snap flap and plane shoots into the air and gains lots of height.

I throw relatively flat because I can get more energy into the plane, then rotate for a fraction of a second (launch 1) and then go straight at 60 - 80 degrees (launch 2). I don't touch the elevator, it is all in the pre-sets.

Note, I wired in a multiplex 3 position switch that has one side sprung and the other side normal. Launch 1 is on the spring side then launch 2 is in the centre and normal mode is on the other side.

It works for me.

Cheers,
Macus
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
807 Posts
Where did you find such a switch. Ive been looking for one for my SD10G for the same reasons. Can you direct me to it?

Thanks
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS