HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
WOW! looking good what tail servos are you using? they look a little small... IMHO you really need HS-81-82 size servos(about 17gram or so) due to the overall weight of the plane and mass... it's just an awful lot for a 9g servo to throw around.

You'll probably LOVE the FC! one of the few planes that I've built and flown that lives up to the hype it's just plain FUN to fly

post some completed pic's and maiden info

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Thank you.

The tail servos are MG-14s. It is a 14g servo. I am not a fan of Hitec servos. The MG-14s have the torque needed and they are metal gear.

I helped another club member with his but it is pretty stock.

The decals are pretty wrinkled but I won't use much of them anyway.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
MG-14's should do fine... as for the decals... mine were wrinkled as well a little light spray of windex helped keep them from sticking until I could get them to lay right all though I must say... your paint job looks clean as is...I'd just leave it... maybe some aircraft ID numbers if anything.

John
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:01 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
An N number might be nice.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:18 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Making progress on the wiring. This thing will have more wiring than anything I have built to date.

I also have the wing assembled. I did not care for the setup on the tail wheel. I added a wheel collar below the hinge so that the tail wheel would not push directly into the rudder.
Last edited by waynemia; Jul 16, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:43 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
A little more progress. The wings are glued together, the lights are wired in, fuse halves are joined, main gear block installed, and main gear temporarily installed.

Lighting on my FunCub (0 min 12 sec)
Last edited by waynemia; Jul 16, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:01 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Looking good!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
I hope you plan on showing us a night flight

I'm seriously considering building another FC so I can incorporate LED's and Nav lights into the fuse and over all build... I could just stick them on my current FC... it will look like I did exactly that I'm really enjoying my LED covered slowstick and Nutball for evening/early morning flying...I think the FC would be even nicer as a night flyer.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:19 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
An evening flight for sure. I am not that experienced at night flight.

We will see.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
No pics today, CA is drying on the wing rods. I have all the lights on, the lenses on the position lights and landing lights, motor mounted, ESC done (Turnigy 40 Sentry), Tail wheel glued, push rod snakes installed, prop balanced, and end points set. I chose not to use the Castle 36 ESC. I might want to sneak a 4S battery in one of these days.

I put in a 9 channel receiver but I only have control of 8. The 9th will be the FAA lighting. I have all the aileron and flap servos on separate channels. My Futaba 10C automatically reverses channel 5 for me for flaps and I don't have to fiddle wth the mount or a reverser. I put the flaps on a three way switch. I may want to change that later. It is currently 0*, 45*, and 90*. It is approximately 90* I have not measured it but it is all the servo can do. I would need a longer arm to get more. I am SURE it will be enough though.

I can also use the aileron differential feature. I have the tow release all setup.

I have a crow programmed.

The tail push rods were almost too short. I guess it was just the position of the output gear. I have more throw available than max in the manual. I might want to play with an elevator -> flap mix too.

This should be some fun to play with the various settings.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
sounds like you're just about there! Oh... I'll settle for an evening flight

One thing thats a bit troubling... I see no mention of a separate BEC
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
sounds like you're just about there! Oh... I'll settle for an evening flight

One thing thats a bit troubling... I see no mention of a separate BEC
I will use a separate battery for the LEDs. 500mAh, 3S works fine and not much weight.

The ESC has a 3A esc and that should handle the servos. I might measure it for grins and giggles.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Yeah that should be fine... I just don't like on board BEC's... even switch mode. what bothers me is that if the ESC gets a little to warm on a hot day here in Vegas it could thermal the BEC... plane goes down I just feel better running Castle creations BEC's A dead stick, even in a bad position is far better than just helplessly watching the plane go in!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Yeah that should be fine... I just don't like on board BEC's... even switch mode. what bothers me is that if the ESC gets a little to warm on a hot day here in Vegas it could thermal the BEC... plane goes down I just feel better running Castle creations BEC's A dead stick, even in a bad position is far better than just helplessly watching the plane go in!
So far, I have not had a problem with BECs and it is hottern' you know what here. I use mostly Turnigy ESCs and they have done well. I have the CC 36 ESC that came with the power set but chose not to use it.
Closed Thread