HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2003, 02:01 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
EP Concept blade tracking question

I have an EP Concept with the older flapping head and I am trying to get the blades tracked. The problem... At neutral pitch they are tracking fine. When I move to either side of that the blades go out of track.

One blade travels higher and lower then the other (and therefore out of track).

Suggestions? Seems like it might be slop in the washout area?

I know EP Concepts have a reputation for tracking issues. Just want to know if anyone has had this problem and what they did to correct.

I am using foam blades as I thought foam blades were less prone to tracking problems.

Thanks, Joe
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2003, 02:10 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Hey Joe - the foam blades are near impossible to get tracking properly. Go for the GRP Kyosho or CF ModelSport blades and you will have a lot less trouble getting your setup nailed. The "Foamies" are better used as training gear, skids or wheel chocks for a 1/4 scale plank

Cheers- Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Sep 02, 2003, 02:28 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Boyd,

Thanks for the advice. I have a few different blades I can try. I thought I had heard the foam blades tracked better.

I also know I have read that people have had tracking problems with the MS carbons.

I will try putting some woodies on.

Thanks, Joe
Old Sep 02, 2003, 04:06 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
At noon I put some wood blades on and tracking seems much better.

Will try flying this evening...

There seems to be a little hickup when moving through 0 pitch. Almost like the linkage goes from being pushed to being pulled (tension/compression?) and there is some play in the system that gets realized when that transition takes place. Anyone else notice this on theirs?

Thanks, Joe
Last edited by JoeR; Sep 02, 2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2003, 10:30 AM
Matsuyama in Japan
Joined Sep 2003
27 Posts
Re:EP Concept blade tracking question

Joe,
Hello !

I am a Japanese EP concept flyer.
I have experienced a thing once like your question.

Has your volt of flapping head tighten strongly all?

hiddy
hiddy is offline Find More Posts by hiddy
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:15 AM
Joined Oct 2001
217 Posts
Hi Joe,
I've had alot of experience with both the flapping and see saw heads as used on the EP concept. The problem with the flapping hinge head is the lack of rigidity and connection of the two blades whereas the see saw head has a direct connection which definitely makes tracking an easier accomplished task. All is not lost however, If you statically track the main rotor making sure that the blades are at the same height at the tips at while at rest and use blades (wooden Kyoshos) with weighted tips the problem will disappear.
Glenn
electroflyer is offline Find More Posts by electroflyer
Old Sep 06, 2003, 11:45 PM
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
need help with Voyager blades on the EP Concept

Hi:
I have a couple pairs of JR Voyager blades, that I tried to use on my EP Concept. With my JRC semisymmetrical blades, the tracking is perfect at any rpm/ pitch. When I switch blades to the JR Voyager blades, I can not get the longer blades to track consistently. Is there anything inherently different about the chord wise balance of the JR Voyager blades vs the EP Concept blades ?
How about the effect of the longer blades ? Do I have to stiffen the damper "O" rings in order to utilize the longer blades ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated !
EP
epkoncept is offline Find More Posts by epkoncept
Old Sep 07, 2003, 03:40 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
EP can't help you with your issue. Are the Voyager blades weighted?

Mine seems to be doing fine on the wood blades.

Foam blades: On my foam blades there is a "kiss off" edge from the mold on the leading edge. Should I sand the leading edge to a nice rounded profile? I have heard of others having the best luck with these blades so I am interested in working through this.

Head Stiffener on the flapping head version? Has anyone tried fabricating a head stiffener (similar to what some of the mods for the FP Hornet and Pic? Maybe have a formed steel piece come over the top to tie both sides together. Just a thought.

Thanks, joe
Old Sep 07, 2003, 04:13 PM
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
Yup, they're weighted

The JR Voyager blades I have, contain a metal weighting rod near the tips, near the leading edge. My JRC semi-symmetrical blades are similar to the JR Voyager blades, but they are a little shorter. I still can not figure out how to make the longer blades track.Its strange, in that I can have perfect tracking with the foamies, or the JRC wood blades, but then when the JR Voyager blades are swapped in, the tracking is terrible !

As for stiftening the flapping head, I used two flapping hinges, on my head, but before I could put it back on my heli, I purchased a seesaw head.
I merely used some longer 2mm bolts to add another hinge plate on the top side of the head assembly. I never tried it, but it might have been too stiff. I've seen pictures of others who have used two ball links to connect each side of the flapping hinge. It makes it easy to adjust the coning angle !

EP
epkoncept is offline Find More Posts by epkoncept