HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:01 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Rant
24,000 files hacked from the Pentagon..it's likely the Chinese..

...didn't a current political figure recently state that such a cyber-attack would be considered an act of war.?

I say that because after the investigation of matters such as this,they usually find it was a much bigger breach of security than first thought.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_898772.html

http://www.startribune.com/nation/125608108.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ck_report.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...S4FI_blog.html
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Yea I herd some talks about this...

and I guess the question is ... Why SHOULDN'T this be an act of war? Especially considering who was behind the attack. If it was just some Chinese hackers then fine.. call it cyber terrorism... if the GOVERNMENT or military is behind it... it is an attack.

The next question is how to respond to a Cyber attack... do we respond with ordinance or do we respond in kind with cyber attacks of our own?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Me? I like the old "Speak softly and carry a big stick" approach
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
The hackers are probably this administration .
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:45 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
We should SMITE them
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:50 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
259 Posts
Smite outta Spite
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
Yea I herd some talks about this...

and I guess the question is ... Why SHOULDN'T this be an act of war? Especially considering who was behind the attack. If it was just some Chinese hackers then fine.. call it cyber terrorism... if the GOVERNMENT or military is behind it... it is an attack.

The next question is how to respond to a Cyber attack... do we respond with ordinance or do we respond in kind with cyber attacks of our own?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Me? I like the old "Speak softly and carry a big stick" approach
My first thought was to be cute and post a picture of a memory stick but the more I thought about it, the more concerned I got. Would we or could we survive a war with China and leave something left of the earth suitable for future generations? We are a country of overweight namby-pambys that are more worried about hurting someones feelings than protecting our country. We have almost no industry left to make war if we had to. We could sit on our enemy until they cried uncle and that's about it.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:30 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
It's interesting how espionage and the spying game appears to have altered.

Previously it would have entailed recruiting a network of well placed spies and careful sifting through of paperwork and cloak and dagger sneaking it out over the border.

Now someone can sit in their living room, burping and farting whilst they download entire swathes of information in seconds. A very worrying prospect for us all.

Well maybe. Here in the UK it appears that the MOD are quite happy to leave top secret documents in a laptop where the incumbent who was in charge of it forgets they have it and leaves it behind, or disposes of it in a skip without checking it's memory has been wiped...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,321 Posts
if real actual sensitive material was online (no matter what the encryption scheme) then i'd have to say that the pentagon is run by a bunch of retards. most likely just payroll records and "butt scans"...
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:48 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Not to worry; Mosad has probably got back-up copies
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:10 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn disclosed that over the years crucial files stolen from defense & industry data networks have included plans for missile-tracking systems, satellite-navigation devices, surveillance drones and advanced jet fighters.

"A great deal of it concerns our most sensitive systems, including aircraft avionics, surveillance technologies, satellite communications systems and network security protocols," Lynn said.

Sometimes I think this is a deliberate ploy to let them (China.?) have something they think is important...meanwhile the real programs have been encrypted beyond any hackers ability.

...deception is a powerfull tool to outsmart an adversary..just ask the Iranians.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:39 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
The defense department is too vast to not have many sensitive documents hacked by all manner of techniques. Some from penetrations, some from the stupid things people do and some by social techniques. But it's also clear that the DOD has impressive security and the ability to strike back.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:54 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
Some people have finaly figured out who is the puppet master

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
The hackers are probably this administration .
Yep 100% it the USA government who did this . The reason is they wnat to close down the Internet using Internet two solutions where you have have a licence to use the Internet two systems .
needless to say if you say anything like what we say in LTUP like the governments of the world are corrupt and stink with big tax hikes your licence on the net is revoked and your netless
Also the access to the net will be more like TV where you get 4000 governemnt sites to go to and that wont includ LTUP or similar

To mpull this stunt they need to convince us the boggie man is hacking the net and sending signals to nuclear power stations to blow them up.The reality is Nuclear power stations and similar vital equipment like ATC or traffic lights are not online anyway but Uncle Sam can tell you porkies and scare you with boggie man stories

Yes the Chinese could hack stuff if they wanted too the USA Gov. puts that senitive stuff out there for them or others to find .
When the Chinese dont bother to find it as they got it anyway from spies working in the USA defencese buisness the USA Gov. hack it themselfs and say the Chinese did it

Also the chinese build for real cheap most of the important elements for the USA defence buisness like the electronics under licence som often they got the plans anyway

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog