HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Hmm. Sounds, unfortunately, like far too many clubs out there. There are loads of similar stories.

Not knowing your or the others involved it is hard to know for sure, but it certainly always seems to be caused by older "i know everything and nothing should change" types.

Quite unfortunate as the hobby is overall small compared to so many other things.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
Hmm. Sounds, unfortunately, like far too many clubs out there. There are loads of similar stories.

Not knowing your or the others involved it is hard to know for sure, but it certainly always seems to be caused by older "i know everything and nothing should change" types.

Quite unfortunate as the hobby is overall small compared to so many other things.
It is sad. I wish there was something we could do about that. It seems like some folks are unwilling to change -get set in their ways I suspect.

The good thing though is that I have seen a lot of "older" gentlemen who have participated in our WAA-08 adventure who do think think that way. So I know there is hope.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
Thanks for that Frank! We have lot's of farm land around here. We just need to find the right farmer.
D.B.
You are welcome and good luck!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:26 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i have flown on the side of the highway when i got the urge just find somewhere quiet and go for it! as i got into this hobby over the internet i actually haven't even seen anyone else fly first hand in over 10 years!!! who needs a club? just people who love rulebooks and arguments by the sound of things.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:36 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
The size of an RC aircraft can makes fields a must but its a nice thing when you can get away with the side of the road. lol
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
brosius85
Given the size of Australia and the size of the population there ,roadside flying is probably an easy thng to do. But here in the Norteastern part of the U.S. it is a very different story. While there are places here that it can be done they are few and far between. Our wide open spaces are long gone.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
You just have to move to where all the people are not concentrated. There is LOADS of empty space in the USA.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2001
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
Thanks for that Frank! We have lot's of farm land around here. We just need to find the right farmer.
D.B.
Just another thought. Is there any large open public land available such as in a park? If so you might have some luck convincing the city or county by letting them know about the many benefits of model aviation to the community. Just be careful and not short circuit the discussion with the notion of exclusivity associated with formal organizations such as clubs and AMA.

Just maintain the viability for general citizenry use and be careful not raise a red flag with the usual scare tactic of liability that AMA's insurance often infers.

Keep in mind municipalities have insurance to protect themselves in regards to recreational activities...don't mess in your mess kit before you even get started!
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Its always the runway that gets me.. Thank god for the clubs I have to work with. Bringing the lawn equipment with me would leave little room for my planes

edit
Mist a few letters
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Last edited by ctrout; Jul 17, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
i have flown on the side of the highway when i got the urge just find somewhere quiet and go for it! as i got into this hobby over the internet i actually haven't even seen anyone else fly first hand in over 10 years!!! who needs a club? just people who love rulebooks and arguments by the sound of things.
Sounds like a very nice place to me! I have made at least 5 or 6 life long friends in this club of 80 members.The average age for our club is 60+. out of the 80 members 95% are nice decent people from all walks of life. Flying by yourself is fine but gets a bit lonely after a while. We have a 1300' runway 90' wide, Freshly mowed and rolled with a giant roller We have loads of farm land around here. Most have crops growing , wheat, grass seed, fruit trees, six different berry crops, beans, cherries,apples,peaches, even kiwi! Not easy to land in a wheat field

I have 4 planes that are over 100+ MPH with the Demon 150+. Also have a Tiger moth 80" and a Piper Pawnee 80"
Besides these I have planes hanging in every room in the house.

I do have a place I can fly these on my friends privet airstrip but it's a 45 Mile round trip drive.

Here's my "man cave"
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Last edited by D.B. Hooper; Jul 17, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
damn hooper. looks like you really do need a field D: i guess you are going to have to eat humble pie and go back to make peace.

as he was the one who started the aggression you have some grounds for yelling back, but you cant say you had to. he just brought you to his level.

as they are all old i would assume the admin will be mega stubborn so it could take months of letters and phonecalls and even a box of cigars ;D

but in the end it sounds like only 1 or 2 pricks and there is no way its worth letting them win.

im pretty sure if you choose your words carefully from now on and just apologize and explain you felt threatened, the club will accept you should be allowed back with no further consequences.

i just know having dealt with authorities you cannot say "i had the right" to them. you need to fully recognize they are the one with the authority and if they think you are insolent they will cut you off forever. just tell them EXACTLY what they want to hear. it can be slightly humiliating if you have much of an ego and it is a bit manipulative, but the end result is you get what you want and they get what they want.

so i think it should go something like;

to the president:

concerning the incident on mm/dd/yy

" i am aware of the see and avoid rule, and attempted to avoid collision with *** "

" being taken completely by surprise i was unable to avoid a collision with *** "

" when *** accused me of negligence and came towards me yelling and cussing i was fearful i would be unable to control my plane if he became physically aggressive"

" i lost my cool under the pressure of the situation and made the mistake of yelling and swearing back "

" i have since recognized my mistake in swearing and would like to offer my sincerest apologies to all who heard and saw the incident "

" i would like to meet with *** with a mediator, perhaps yourself, to decide if compensation should be awarded, and also to clear the air between us "

" the club is very important to me and i have enjoyed contributing to it and would like to continue to do so "

blah blah blah let be back in the damn club.

if you come across like you want to get what you deserve and every other SOB can get lost they wont have you back.

if you come across like Barrack Obama they will never be able to say no

hope it all works out!
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
damn hooper. looks like you really do need a field D: i guess you are going to have to eat humble pie and go back to make peace.

as he was the one who started the aggression you have some grounds for yelling back, but you cant say you had to. he just brought you to his level.

as they are all old i would assume the admin will be mega stubborn so it could take months of letters and phonecalls and even a box of cigars ;D

but in the end it sounds like only 1 or 2 pricks and there is no way its worth letting them win.

im pretty sure if you choose your words carefully from now on and just apologize and explain you felt threatened, the club will accept you should be allowed back with no further consequences.

i just know having dealt with authorities you cannot say "i had the right" to them. you need to fully recognize they are the one with the authority and if they think you are insolent they will cut you off forever. just tell them EXACTLY what they want to hear. it can be slightly humiliating if you have much of an ego and it is a bit manipulative, but the end result is you get what you want and they get what they want.

so i think it should go something like;

to the president:

concerning the incident on mm/dd/yy

" i am aware of the see and avoid rule, and attempted to avoid collision with *** "

" being taken completely by surprise i was unable to avoid a collision with *** "

" when *** accused me of negligence and came towards me yelling and cussing i was fearful i would be unable to control my plane if he became physically aggressive"

" i lost my cool under the pressure of the situation and made the mistake of yelling and swearing back "

" i have since recognized my mistake in swearing and would like to offer my sincerest apologies to all who heard and saw the incident "

" i would like to meet with *** with a mediator, perhaps yourself, to decide if compensation should be awarded, and also to clear the air between us "

" the club is very important to me and i have enjoyed contributing to it and would like to continue to do so "

blah blah blah let be back in the damn club.

if you come across like you want to get what you deserve and every other SOB can get lost they wont have you back.

if you come across like Barrack Obama they will never be able to say no

hope it all works out!
Very good advise Bro. I have'nt decided what to do yet.
Saturday I picked up two certified letters from the club. Looks like the executive board will be taking action against this guy. Probably just a slap on the wrist.
I had my wife read the letters as I didn't want to spoil my weekend if their was something said that might enrage me. I was also sent a check for the remainder of my club dues.

They of course said he had no right to cuss me. I'm not sure what I will do at this point. If I'm allowed to rejoin I'll ask for the resignation of the club president as he failed miserably by standing there and doing nothing. This situation should have been taken care of immediately with some one getting the guy off me so I could safely land. The club president should have stepped up and acted as an arbitrator. I should have never been left to fend for myself.

I want to thank everyone who has given me advice. It's been a real help in deciding what to do. The reason I posted this here is so others can see what goes on at some of these AMA clubs. This type thing is exactly what runs people out of this hobby.
Thanks again. D.B.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Closed Thread