HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:25 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Discussion
Tiger ( T-Motor ) for multicopter??

HI everyone, first post here in power systems..

I am interested in getting some of these :

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=132

for a heavy lift multicopter... However, I note that people are starting to experiment with larger motors such as the Axi 2820/14 units. These are too expensive for me at this stage as I am relatively inexperienced and do not wish to crash 800 dollars worth of axi's on an experimental octocopter while i learn.

So, I am considering other options :

1st is the Cobra :

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_120_122&products_id=837

as this has almost the exact same specs as the Axi, only half the cost, and secondly I am considering these :

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=130

now these T-Motors seem like they may be just the job, cheaper than the Cobra and I can learn to fly the large octocopter without 8 x 100 bucks in motors.. I recognise the need for a 3 bearing motor and apparently 14 turns is important too, so my questions to you guys are :

the T-Motors have 2 bearings ... Is this a bad idea for multicopters? I assume more bearings = less vibrations = smoother video...?

The T-motors have only 7 turns ..... What is the main difference 7 turns over 14 will have ? I do not understand what effect "Turns" has on performance at all in regard to multicopters.. please help...

Thanks!
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
found this explanation :

quote :

Turns, in the simplest terms I can think of, is how many times the motor wires are wound inside the motor. With everything being equal, more turns will generally spin less RPMs and less turns will spin more RPMs. Overall power is best described in Watts. For a given battery voltage, a lower number of turns will use more current, creating more Watts. More power comes at a price of increased heat in the components, and increased battery drain.
end quote..

on a different website... so how does going from a 14 turn cobra to a 7 turn T-motor effect performance??? what are the likely outcomes on performance ?? ie battery drain, heat build up and most importantly Vibrations???

cheers
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
It seems that the T-Motors and the Axi have the SAME amount of turns ( just a different definition of " TUrn " ie how many times they are counted , Julia from RCTiger just emailed me a detailed explanation. I have received EXCELLENT customer service from RCTigermotor.com

Just ordered 9 of the 2820AT and will post back how they perform
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:01 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,039 Posts
An Octo with 8 of those should be impressive. Keep us posted.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:49 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Exactly, Julia at http://www.rctigermotor.com has very much been much help in working with me in recommending motors for my exact application. After receiving a T-3530/570Kv motor, I was suprised how well the machining was preformed. One can hardly see and machining marks at all was my initial impression. Later after doing some initial static bench testing, everything ran only slightly warm at max 60 FLA (Full Load Amps) on the motor on 4s LiPo.

Jetbootz, have you had a chance to purchase these motors yet? As you can see my avatar is a Pulso motor (Cobra), I was selling tons of these untill Pulso deceided to quit selling the brand here in the US.

Best, Doug
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Hi, sorry been away an missed your post. I have purchased 2 types of motor from RCTigermotors.com and they are :

AT2820 ( x 8 ) http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=130

AT3530 570 kv version ( x1 for testing )

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=134

I have not yet received them, still in transit. I will test and report back once I have them. Julia was very helpful to me too. great communication and service....

cheers
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:48 AM
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Those are some nice motors. How much do they cost? I don't see any prices on their site
firepong is offline Find More Posts by firepong
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Both motors are very well priced. please contact Julia at RCtigermotor.com and she will discuss prices with you directly.

Thanks
Last edited by jetbootz; Aug 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Editing needed
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:31 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Ah good luck guys, check out what happened to me with this company http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18998505
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
@jetbootz: have you tried http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc ? The Tiger motors are listed in there so you can have fun playing "what if?" with different props, batteries, etc.
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
motors arrived yesterday. they look awesome. very well built on inpsection ( i'm a noob so i dont now much though... )

Ill be testing them once i get my test stand built and work out how to attach my iphone 4 with myvibrometer app to the test stand.. maybe i can balance them this way? I'm not sure but i'm gonna have a go at it. No i had not seen the ecalc page, noew I have it looks amazing and ill be plugging some numbers in for sure to play around with what if situations..

thanks for the heads up !
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
so I have a question for the authorities here :

I plan on using the AT3530 570KV from RCtigermotor , specs below, the Turnigy plush 60 Amp ESC and the APC 14 x4.7 SF props on a heavy lift Multicopter ( probably 8 rotors ) in order to lift a heavy DSLR and lens combo. I have put the numbers into the ecalc screen and I think it works out OK but I thought I'd ask for the experts here to check first, I have one of the motors in for testing and may go on to order 8 more if they turn out to be low vibration and reliable. Thoughts???

thanks

ps : battery will be 10000 MAh 4S
Last edited by jetbootz; Aug 09, 2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: battery left out
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
The figures "work" (on 5S or 4S) except that you'd be way past the recommended maximum rpm for the prop. That 14x4.7 is a SlowFly prop, so very low rpm limit - better choice would be the 13x6.5E, then you're okay. That's going to be one heck of a beast though - a huge part of the weight you're carrying is the motors themselves. I'd look for a substantially lighter motor around 900W (the figures indicate that would be more than your maximum usage - the 3530-570 is 1800W!). Cobra are working on a new range of multirotor engines - I'll bet he comes out with something sweet and priced right.

That motor would be more suitable, however, for a super-heavy quad (on5S or even 6S) - but still heavier than you need. (Motor weight is closely related to power capacity).
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
Thats very interesting. I kinda thought this big motor might be overkill, so only ordered one on a hunch. now I have seen the ecalc thingy it seems my original choice may have been a good bet. I ordered 9 x AT2820 830kv as they seemed closer to the normal sized engines used on larger heavy lifter units. these are 800W as you suggested and waaaay lighter also. So if I run these on 3S would the RPMs be ok on a larger prop like the 14x4.7SF ?? surely 830 x 3 is about the same rpm's as 570 x 4 ?? or am I missing something here? I thought the higher KV motors were used on 3S and the larger lower kv motors were used on 4S setups for greater efficiency ? I seem to remember being told somewhere at the local model club that 4S lower kv is better than 3S higher kv in order to attain the same ish amount of RPMs ??

thanks. this has been a good learning experience for me. the ecalc thing is amazing.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html