HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,476 Posts
Ya for the kit version. I used a lot of spare electronics for the build. Its a good plane, we'll see how it does with fpv gear.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Someday I hope to open up my Raptor box and try to put the thing together. I keep looking at the box but so far no action
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Just wanted to know, who/where selling (vendor) the v.2 of the RaptureFPV?

(the motor mount was adjusted with a higher angle so that different throttle'%'
didn't change pitching of the plane).
I was wondering this too, but what I've done is a very simple modification to my RaptorFPV, where I added about 2mm shim under the back of the pod mount, tilting the entire mount forward about 2 degrees.. I used a dremel tool to remove material from the front of the pod where it meets the foam for clearance.

I have another shim ready in case I need to tilt it more, and this time I'll just remove material from the foam which I can do at the field.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
24 Posts
Very satisfied with my FPV Raptor. Slowly adding FPV gear.
Before ordering some hardware, what is the fastest safe/controllable speed for this airplane?
kozack is offline Find More Posts by kozack
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,048 Posts
Test flew the Tri-motor Raptor this afternoon using the rotary switch on the DX8i to control the rear pusher motor/prop separately from the twin wing mount motors. Here is the test footage:

Tri Motor Raptor w/motor switch (6 min 34 sec)
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Last edited by ecworks; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So, I am looking for a 100% plug and play motor for my Raptor. I want one that will bolt right up to the existing mount without modifications. I am looking for a more powerful motor than the stock motor for easier take off with heavy gear. I only wish to use 1 motor and have it in the factory pusher mounted position. Can anyone provide me with a link to such a motor? THANKS!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Eureka! If any of you are using 1.3ghz/1280 and 433, grab a notch filter! After months of trying many different (unsuccessful) approaches to limiting 433mhz interference on 1.3ghz, it's finally gone. This $20. notch completely cleans up the video link.
http://flic.kr/p/dDfRQM
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,476 Posts
Im on 1280 with 433 uhf. No notch filter and routinely go 4-5 miles out. What kind of interference were u having?

Also i noticed you are using the ezUHF system from immersion. I never had much luck with that system. Some flying sites gave me more problems than others. I had fail safes at 2-3 miles out. Never could get it right despite numerous antenna placement and receiver changes. I ultimately gave up on it and went with dragonlink.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Well documented problems with 433 swamping 1.3 causing not only annoying interference, but reduction in range from desensitising the receiver. Harmonics of 433 interferes with 1.3. I've been out 9 miles, range isn't an issue. The interference is annoying though, and reducing it has been a challenge for many, until IBCrazy showed us this blue devil
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:03 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,476 Posts
Guess i'll give it a shot. RMRC has this ong range uhf antenna i'd like to try.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1201
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
I use the SRH-771. Diamonds rock!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
So, I am looking for a 100% plug and play motor for my Raptor. I want one that will bolt right up to the existing mount without modifications. I am looking for a more powerful motor than the stock motor for easier take off with heavy gear. I only wish to use 1 motor and have it in the factory pusher mounted position. Can anyone provide me with a link to such a motor? THANKS!
Any of the 35mm motors bolt straight up but will probably require trimming the cowl a bit so it doesnt rub if its a long motor. A 28mm motor will also be fine and bolt straight up. I use a turnigy 3542 1450kv, but it's way too powerful for this plane. A smaller or lower kv motor would be a better choice.
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Someday I hope to open up my Raptor box and try to put the thing together. I keep looking at the box but so far no action
I have MANY planes exactly like this, sitting in the box... Oddly enough I have all parts (electronics) to build all of them (almost all of them) yet I just cant seem time to build them... Some very very nice planes sitting in those boxes.
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schusterjo View Post
I have MANY planes exactly like this, sitting in the box... Oddly enough I have all parts (electronics) to build all of them (almost all of them) yet I just cant seem time to build them... Some very very nice planes sitting in those boxes.
Well, at least they are crash proof in the box
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,396 Posts
Maiden flight complete.. You guys really had me nervous about possible crashes on launch etc.. Running 2200mah battery, as far forward as it would go. Thottle up to about 65% and just a decent toss, straight, maybe with just a tiny amount of up angle.. When it's about 50 feet away just a bit of elevator and more throttle and it climbs out nicely..

Modifications prior to first flight:
- different esc, (mine was DOA)
- I did cut in and servo up the flaps, but did not use them.
- replace all servos with futaba S3114's. 2 of the stock servos were stripped on arrival.
-I angled the motor mount forward just a few degrees..
-I had to remove material from the round plate that touches the prop so it would clear properly. That plate must not have been designed for a pusher prop.

Now for the guilty admission.. technically, my very first flight went out 50 feet at 65% throttle, and then I nosed it into the ground 90degrees straight down nose hit square first, from about 6 feet up. no damage at all to fuse, man is it tough. When the wings tried to shift foward in the crash, it break the EPP right at the rear most bolt hole on both wings. I just shoved them back together, put a little tape on it. Root cause of crash.. DOH, elevator was reversed.. I must have checked that thing a million times.. Oh well, just brain fade.. At least the walk of shame was a short one..

Anyway, subsequent launches went super smooth.. I had alot of launches too. I would trim it while flying with the TX. Then land it, and adjust the control rods, because it is my preference that the TX trims be centered.. This will make it easier when I add the Cyclops Storm OSD later on..
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus