HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I know there are better gyros on the market, but I already have this one sitting around the house. Does anyone know if this would work in a Raptor? I was hoping to use this gyro until after christmas. I think in standard mode only OPINIONS? -http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8471
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:23 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
727 Posts
Ecworks,
I am sorry for your misshap.
But regarding the way it happened,
I also had two spiraled crashes with my Fy31 on my Raptor.
I dont know but it has something to do with the geometry of this plane...
The funny thing is that alishanmao uploaded a video many months go with the name "fpv raptor doesn't like fy31ap"

Sakis.
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Ali suggested the crash may have been caused by the stock servos.
He recently posted a vid where he put the 31ap in the latest Raptor.
FatShark Predator 2 FPV Combo -- Almost 2km FPV flight (8 min 3 sec)

It's the risk you take when you plug your servos directly into a small cpu and give it direct control of all surfaces. It's an excellent insurance policy when it works, but when it doesn't....
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:50 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0It1nFpIQQ

It's the risk you take when you plug your servos directly into a small cpu and give it direct control of all surfaces. It's an excellent insurance policy when it works, but when it doesn't....
One of my friend downed his raptor because if stock wing servo. It spiraled and hit the ground.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:09 AM
aka Nigel Uno
Italia, Lazio, Monterotondo
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0It1nFpIQQ

When you use any kind of stabilization on your airplane the mobile surfaces (and the servos too) MUST follow a completely different setup.

If you use the same cheaps servos with the same mechanical setup with any kind of stabilization (KK2, MultiWii, RVOSD5, FY and so on) you cannot have the max effect on the plane behaviour

On my Raptor FPV with mMWC (is a multiwii controller but is the same for the FY21 or simply a gyro) I use better (and digital) servos than the stock ones (they are stressed by the electronics) and maxed out the ailerons/elevator/rudder throws paying attention to retain the max command resolution too.

For example my ailerons throw is (more or less) +-45 at 100% travel on my tx

If you don't follow these 'guidelines' with your stab system you cannot achieve the right performances form your gear

Just my 2c
gtrick90 is offline Find More Posts by gtrick90
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:09 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
In reading here I see the stock stuff is no good. I have the new servos I plan on replacing the other electronics but will try to use the stock motor. I now have a Fat Shark camera with pan and tilt, A Immersion EZOSD, A 600 Mw Immersion 5.8 tx (I am still looking for a good receiver) and a pair of I B Crazy 5.8 antennas. I am using a 9x radio with FlySky and just got a simple gyro . I am not in a hurry to assemble all this but some day it will fly at least 1 time. I have a NAZA F450 quad copter I used to fly daily but as you know it takes NO SKILL to fly a NAZA it really flies itself. My NAZA has been retired to the closet shelf un damaged it was fun though and introduced me to RC stuff for the first time. I have never flown a fixed wing so I will look for a local pilot for some advice and practice. I guess I should hold off installing the Immersion stuff until I can safely take off fly and land the plane LOS. I picked this hobby as rehabilitation after having a Major stroke and it has been a challenge to say the least!, But challenges after a stroke are important to recover as much as you can after such a major loss. I wish to thank all here for this valuable information and guidance. Your patience with my dumb questions has been appreciated!. Some day I hope to fly this thing, and with your help it may be possible.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Dec 08, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
757 Posts
The one thing i dont like about the raptor, well my raptor anyhow is how it stalls, it wing tips badly, anyone else experience this?
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
The one thing i dont like about the raptor, well my raptor anyhow is how it stalls, it wing tips badly, anyone else experience this?
Yes. It needs quite a bit of speed. Much more pronounced with all the fpv equipment and large battery. I always fly mine in stabilizatiin mode.

As fir my raptor i changed all the servos and hardware. HS65 all around but using a turnigy on the rudder. So far so good. I've gone out 2.5 miles and its working well. Here is a vid. Couldnt edit it for some reason.

Raptor Touring Sylmar (13 min 49 sec)
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
The Twin Raptor is no more.
1 mile out to sea when it went into failsafe. Then the GPS stopped showing altitude and distance to home. Then it spiraled. Recovered and I toggled RTH, no go. Flew upside down toward the shore then 1/2 mile offshore it went into a deathspiral and then out of line of sight.
Still trying to figure what, or what combination of things, went wrong. Had a great low power rangetest before the flight.
Frosting on the cake: GoPro was on board.

Great way to start the weekend.
I think someone found your plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784858
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
That would be one lucky find man. What are the odds?!? Hoping it's yours!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,480 Posts
Not out of the realm since he was only half mile off shore. Im willing to bet it is his.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Definitely. What an awesome story. Slim odds that another FPV plane was lost in the same area he flies.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
He'll be positively surprised next time he comes online
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
727 Posts
...only on internet...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrick90 View Post
When you use any kind of stabilization on your airplane the mobile surfaces (and the servos too) MUST follow a completely different setup.

If you use the same cheaps servos with the same mechanical setup with any kind of stabilization (KK2, MultiWii, RVOSD5, FY and so on) you cannot have the max effect on the plane behaviour

On my Raptor FPV with mMWC (is a multiwii controller but is the same for the FY21 or simply a gyro) I use better (and digital) servos than the stock ones (they are stressed by the electronics) and maxed out the ailerons/elevator/rudder throws paying attention to retain the max command resolution too.

For example my ailerons throw is (more or less) +-45 at 100% travel on my tx

If you don't follow these 'guidelines' with your stab system you cannot achieve the right performances form your gear

Just my 2c
Can you pls suggest a specific good digital servo that you have tried with the raptor?

Sakis
RCG Plus Member