HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:58 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
If I had taken the time to put in a $15 UBEC, it would have saved my $300 plane from crashing.
+1

If you use a bec don't forget to disconnect your red wire on channel 3 (the servo wire comming from your esc, if it includes a built in bec) before connecting to your rx.
You don't have to do the aforementioned mod only if you use an opto bec. But this is not the case in the current situation.

Sakis
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2005
360 Posts
Thanks guys, any feedback on flaps? Is it worth the additional weight? How does it perform with flaps?
dareh is offline Find More Posts by dareh
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dareh View Post
Thanks guys, any feedback on flaps? Is it worth the additional weight? How does it perform with flaps?
yes, flaps work well, help with the takeoff
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2005
360 Posts
How about landing? Do u think it slows down enough to catch the plane safely instead of landing?
dareh is offline Find More Posts by dareh
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:43 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
How about landing? Do u think it slows down enough to catch the plane safely instead of landing?
no.......
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
With full down flaps, you can even catch your plane. A very good option.
Firatp is online now Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend catching the Raptor.... especially if you have FPV gear on there. The last thing you wanna do is drop it or miss the catch... clip a wing and have it damage your antenna or camera. Try using flaps... you can even use spoilerons.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
116 Posts
Looks like it has gone a bit quiet in here.
There has been a question I have had lately, which I have been searching for an answer.
The individual parts to the question include the words "Spektrum", "FPV", and "Long range".
I have heard (or more to the point 'read') that people shy away from spektrum gear when they go long range fpv. That also seems to go with the lack of plug and pray long range gear that suits the spektrum - except the systems which use separate Rx for the UHF link Tx.
Why am I posting this in this forum? Because I have the 2m FPV raptor, and plan on using it to do some of this stuff in the not too distant future.
Thanks guys, good forum, good read. Keep it up.
Old_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Old_Tech
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Found this video of a nutter doing flights with his Raptor in the middle of Berlin

Wegpunktflug2 in Berlin-Mitte (4 min 2 sec)
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
The problem with spektrum gear is it's not compatible with most popular LRS's. If you plan to fly LOS or fly FPV within the constrains of the spektrums limits, no problem. If you plan to fly with a UHF system then I'd recommend a Futaba 9cap.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post
Found this video of a nutter doing flights with his Raptor in the middle of Berlin

http://youtu.be/nbsfXk8rZ7M
Damn. Beautiful city. So much history. If I launched from Central Park I wonder how long I'd have until they tasered me.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:14 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt View Post

http://youtu.be/nbsfXk8rZ7M
Very good Video,
Congrats for your courage...
Firatp is online now Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
re: Spektrum

Ritewing ZXL Crash and burn (1 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
116 Posts
Just looked at the Ritewing fire video, and looked at the comments.
They don't know what caused the crash, although a few comments automatically blame Spektrum.
Now, I do have Spektrum gear, as I have a couple of Blade helicopters, and a Parkzone plane, so I may be a little biased.
I myself have had telemetry tell me that I have had frame losses, and holds on occasion on the Blade 130x. This is due to various reasons, with one being a range issue. This could be to the fact that the 130x is what is called a park flyer.
So, now that I have got that out, why do people automatically blame Spektrum, when they do not have the full story. Sounds to me like they are jumping to conclusions.
It would be like saying that I have crap tires on my car when it starts aquaplaning on a sheet of water because the loose nut behind the wheel was not driving to suit the conditions (i.e. too fast).

Give me proof, not just heresay.

Hope I don't start a flame war here! I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and see if we can make things better for everyone. Maybe I should start a new topic on this.
Old_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Old_Tech
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
You're absolutely right. To be fair, I was throwing a cheap jab at the Spektrum gear There's zero proof that it caused the crash but after the strange behavior I've witnessed with two different friends that fly them I wouldn't be surprised. A friends Skywalker has hit failsafes @ less than 2000' in open farmland. If Spektrum works for you, then rock it. If you want the freedom that UHF offers, you might want to consider a different tx.