HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
so this plane is good now or still have the problems?
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:44 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,638 Posts
I have a FPV Raptor EX on it's way. It will be very interesting to try out.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:49 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,638 Posts
Ok, so now I've received my plane and I've begun to plan my installation and some things need to be modified.
  • The mount on which the camera should be mounted on (lets call it the cover) is not acceptable. I fully agree with Simon that this need to be modified in some way before FPV-flight is done. Either I just mount the camera on top of the black canopy which is very tight or I'll need to make a construction inside the fuselage on which the cover can be mounted with either screws or magnets. I'm just amazed that they claim to have made the model to be used for FPV but with this serious flaw.

However it's nothing that can't be fixed. As it is now I think I'll mount the camera P/T on top of the canopy but this will but the camera in the prop airflow and I'll also have to mount both the cover and canopy every time I need to access the battery which isn't ideal. First flights will be made without FPV-equipment so I have some time to think this through but it will be interesting to see how you guys installed your camera etc.

• The 2m wings have an extra wood reinforcement but I wonder if this is really needed? For me it's not acceptable with a 2m one piece wing. Either I just skip this wood spar or I'll make some other kind of reinforcement or I'll make the wood spar connect to one of the wings using other then the supplied wood screws, maybe with a M3-screw.

• The ESC-cables are way too long but this is easily fixed. Also the ESC is not fastened and moves around in the fuselage quite freely. I also wonder if it has adequate cooling. I think I will open up some cooling in-/outlets.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Good luck boopidoo, mine is ready to fpv, in fact I have on a couple of occasions but the camera was pants on the first and the recorder cocked up on the second, then the tilt camera was not 6 volt and burnt out, I got a MFD tracker which works on 6volts so the teleflyosd needs that
I hope to have an fpv vid very soon
I hot glued my pan servo in the hole in the mount, but you WILL need a wing rubber band over the mount otherwise it WILL come off, please put a wing band over the mount or be forever sorry my friend
regards
Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
Can you post the wing chord and maximum thickness, please ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:46 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Waiting for pics !! with full FPV gear
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:49 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
I have the Scorpion 3014-1040kv motor which fits a SkyWalker, and its too big in size to fit into the FPVrapture,,,,can anyone recomment an upgraded motor that fits?

I also read that a APCe 8" prop is the largest that can fit in this plane.

Thanks all.
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Can you post the wing chord and maximum thickness, please ?
I measure tomorrow Renatoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Waiting for pics !! with full FPV gear
I'll also post pics in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
I have the Scorpion 3014-1040kv motor which fits a SkyWalker, and its too big in size to fit into the FPVrapture,,,,can anyone recomment an upgraded motor that fits?

I also read that a APCe 8" prop is the largest that can fit in this plane.

Thanks all.
Yep, 8 inch is the biggest prop going on it, although id doesn't have to be an APC prop
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
3 Posts
FPV Raptor 2M Spare Parts

Does anybody know where you can buy replacement parts for the 2M version of the FPV Raptor?
jsmith5050 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith5050
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:28 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith5050 View Post
Does anybody know where you can buy replacement parts for the 2M version of the FPV Raptor?
Here is the 2meter no electronics kit:

http://www.hobbyic.com/products.php?...ptor-FPV-plane

Hope that helps...I havnt found anyone that's selling just parts. I even tried contacting the manufacturing company by email, they didn't reply.

Heres my FPVRaptor build thread I just turned into a discussion thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1530414

Maybe they can merge these two threads?
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Oct 30, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:23 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Ok, so now I've received my plane and I've begun to plan my installation and some things need to be modified.
  • The mount on which the camera should be mounted on (lets call it the cover) is not acceptable. I fully agree with Simon that this need to be modified in some way before FPV-flight is done. Either I just mount the camera on top of the black canopy which is very tight or I'll need to make a construction inside the fuselage on which the cover can be mounted with either screws or magnets. I'm just amazed that they claim to have made the model to be used for FPV but with this serious flaw.

However it's nothing that can't be fixed. As it is now I think I'll mount the camera P/T on top of the canopy but this will but the camera in the prop airflow and I'll also have to mount both the cover and canopy every time I need to access the battery which isn't ideal. First flights will be made without FPV-equipment so I have some time to think this through but it will be interesting to see how you guys installed your camera etc.

• The 2m wings have an extra wood reinforcement but I wonder if this is really needed? For me it's not acceptable with a 2m one piece wing. Either I just skip this wood spar or I'll make some other kind of reinforcement or I'll make the wood spar connect to one of the wings using other then the supplied wood screws, maybe with a M3-screw.

• The ESC-cables are way too long but this is easily fixed. Also the ESC is not fastened and moves around in the fuselage quite freely. I also wonder if it has adequate cooling. I think I will open up some cooling in-/outlets.
I put a Velcro strap around the top Camera cover and it held down very secure. I agree it needs to have a better designed cover to hold a heavy camera. I just picked up the new GoPro Hero2 and planning on setting it up there n see how she handles it. I just had this bird up with 5 lbs total weight and it flys great.

I tossed the stock ESC after the first flight which resulted in a crash cause of the ESC. The 40amp ESC I'm using now fits right up inside the motor tower so air flow keeps it running nice and cool. I cut off the battery wires to that ESC and made an extension connection to the batteries way up front. Now I can disconnect the motor tower for easy transport.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Oct 30, 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:33 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,879 Posts
Subscribing to this thread. After seeing a raptor in the flesh it looks like a very good fpv platform. At the moment im flying a skywalker but might get the raptor and build it up just in case. Skywalker is good so far but i like the idea of flying a lighter plane like the raptor using smaller (and cheaper) batteries. Looking forward to hearing more reports about this plane.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie
Joined Aug 2010
44 Posts
I thought this thread was gonna be about an F-22 Raptor RC FPV This thread is awesome though, definitely subscribed.
cosworthsti is offline Find More Posts by cosworthsti
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Does anyone know where the FPV Raptor 2m version can be purchased in the UK?

I searched Google but could not find anything.
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulogix View Post
Does anyone know where the FPV Raptor 2m version can be purchased in the UK?

I searched Google but could not find anything.
Nothing in the UK, HobbyKing and Foxtech have them