HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
If it could help, i have tested different power setup, (fpv gear and all, weight ~1.5Kg, 4000mah 3S)

- 2826/10 1400KV (ebay blue motor) + 8x4 + 30A => Fried (plastic's wire melt, shortcircuit). First setup, it was ok on several flight but....
- BC2826/10 1400KV (rctimer) + 8x4 + 40A => Ok, but i found it a little bit underpowered, hard with windy day and diffilcult to get a good climbing rate
- BC2836/6 1500KV (rctimer) + 8x5 + 40A => Ok, current setup
- 2215/20 1100KV (EMAX) + 8x6 + 40A => Ok too, didn't notice the difference with previous, maybe lower amps consumption.... have to check
penpen is offline Find More Posts by penpen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:39 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
stock motor is gutless

stock motor is gutless, is this normal...there is no way I can do a ROG, it will not move and this is without FPV gear and 3S battery as called for.
I see there are several versions around, I got mine from HK..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
stock motor is gutless, is this normal...there is no way I can do a ROG, it will not move and this is without FPV gear and 3S battery as called for.
I see there are several versions around, I got mine from HK..
I was never successful with ROG takeoffs. I've seen many videos of people taking off from grass, gravel, asphalt, snow and ice. I gave up trying this after attempting to launch from a paved parking lot. The plane gained enough speed to take off but the right wingtip clipped the asphalt, pulling it hard right and barely missing a large fence post. A guy from another forum told me he sprays the fuse with silicone when launching from grass and asphalt. Personally, the only time I want my plane to touch the ground is when it's landing, preferably on grass Takeoffs from snow and ice look fun though!
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:43 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpen View Post
If it could help, i have tested different power setup, (fpv gear and all, weight ~1.5Kg, 4000mah 3S)

- 2826/10 1400KV (ebay blue motor) + 8x4 + 30A => Fried (plastic's wire melt, shortcircuit). First setup, it was ok on several flight but....
- BC2826/10 1400KV (rctimer) + 8x4 + 40A => Ok, but i found it a little bit underpowered, hard with windy day and diffilcult to get a good climbing rate
- BC2836/6 1500KV (rctimer) + 8x5 + 40A => Ok, current setup
- 2215/20 1100KV (EMAX) + 8x6 + 40A => Ok too, didn't notice the difference with previous, maybe lower amps consumption.... have to check
how did you mount them..
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:57 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Stock mount system
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Got up early this morning to do a short range test of EzUHF (2 miles) as I had relocated the two antennas on the new Raptor. Anyone have any good guesses as to what the number 14 is that's suddenly popped up in the upper left corner? I've never seen any data there before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTleAIrt9Q
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpen View Post
Stock mount system
thanks..
4000mah for all ?
or
4000mah for motor
?mah for vTx
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Different setup too, depends of what i am doing, what kind of flight i will do, what/if i want to secure, if i have extra stuff to power like arduino stuff, AH imu,

it's usually a combo of 3S2200, 3S850, 2S500, 3S4000

3S-2200mAh for prop and 3S-850mAh for VTX+bec
3S-2200mAh for prop+VTX and 2S-500mAh for bec
3S-4000mAh for prop+VTX+bec
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:05 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Some crappy flight, unedited, with 2200 + 500 and BC2826+8x4 (the i-think-underpowered-setup) speed in front of wind (10km/h) was 25/30 km/h

20120617 (13 min 17 sec)

I was testing multiwii airplane mode for stabilization, so it's a boring flight and trimming ACC was malfunctioning too, always drifting cause of too low increment trim..... -_-'
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:14 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
I destroyed my Raptor

Yesterday I destroyed my 2m Raptor before I even fpv-maiden it.
I was test flying it without any FPV equipment on the plane (thank God) and during a routine exercise (the plane was in steep descent and I pulled with medium strength to level it) the left wing completely snapped in mid air!!! The plane fell like a rock and crashed nose down. My two lipos were completely smashed, my BEC is destroyed, the motor tower was ripped off from the base and both of the wings were split in two or more pieces.
The reason this happened is not that the raptor is a bad product but a few days ago I had an accident (my fault) and the plane crashed with the left wing. I made full repairs (at least this was my to my knowledge) but I never imagined that the inner wing metal rod was deformed from that accident. So I believe that rod snapped during flight and my plane got destroyed.
So beware, inside the wings there are square shaped metal rods. If you are involved in a crash ALWAYS pull them out and inspect them. Of course you can replace them in advance with carbon ones. Dimensions are 10mm x 10mm x 68cm.
I am so sad...

Sakis
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:43 AM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,145 Posts
Is this false advertising?

this is the ad for FPVraptor
FPV Raptor 1600mm (PNF) (9 min 11 sec)

They show it taking off from the ground...it will NOT take off from the ground..

I have placed a complaint with HK requesting a FPVraptor that will take off from the ground like the video shows..

My current 1600mm FPVraptor will not take off from the ground..
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Yesterday I destroyed my 2m Raptor before I even fpv-maiden it.
I was test flying it without any FPV equipment on the plane (thank God) and during a routine exercise (the plane was in steep descent and I pulled with medium strength to level it) the left wing completely snapped in mid air!!! The plane fell like a rock and crashed nose down. My two lipos were completely smashed, my BEC is destroyed, the motor tower was ripped off from the base and both of the wings were split in two or more pieces.
The reason this happened is not that the raptor is a bad product but a few days ago I had an accident (my fault) and the plane crashed with the left wing. I made full repairs (at least this was my to my knowledge) but I never imagined that the inner wing metal rod was deformed from that accident. So I believe that rod snapped during flight and my plane got destroyed.
So beware, inside the wings there are square shaped metal rods. If you are involved in a crash ALWAYS pull them out and inspect them. Of course you can replace them in advance with carbon ones. Dimensions are 10mm x 10mm x 68cm.
I am so sad...

Sakis
Very sorry to hear that :-( Don't get discouraged. Lick your wounds, start planning your next build immediately!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
this is the ad for FPVraptor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUXn-UThPw4

They show it taking off from the ground...it will NOT take off from the ground..

I have placed a complaint with HK requesting a FPVraptor that will take off from the ground like the video shows..

My current 1600mm FPVraptor will not take off from the ground..
I hear you! FWIW hand launches are much easier with a more powerful motor and 8x6 APC.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Rimfire 10, 1250kv motor mount

Name: Engine_Mount_10_1250KV_Rimfire2a.jpg
Views: 641
Size: 57.1 KB
Description:

Name: Engine_Mount_10_1250KV_Rimfire3a.jpg
Views: 652
Size: 71.1 KB
Description:

Name: Engine_Mount_10_1250KV_Rimfire4a.jpg
Views: 582
Size: 55.1 KB
Description:

Motor and prop push very hard. I have measured the thrust at full throttle is approx. 2.5lbs.
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Last edited by Tom.in.Maryland; Jul 11, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.in.Maryland View Post

Attachment 5001898

Attachment 5001899

Attachment 5001900

Motor and prop push very hard. I have measured the thrust at full throttle is approx. 2.5lbs.
Looking good! If you sacrificed the upper rear tower screw to fit the motor, I'd hot glue around all sides of the black piece to ensure there's no play. It WILL want to flex with that prop. Also, securing the small plastic piece between the motor tower and the fuse is key to minimizing the tower flex. I used CA glue and drove 2 additional small screws in her but she keeps breaking loose and I keep re-glueing. I think Gorilla glue is in order now. Just be careful there as that stuff loves to expand and too much around/between that piece will cause the tower to rise and not line up with the screw holes.

Another weakness I found (others have noted it) is the foamy canopy piece that holds the cameras. I lost UHF link last week and again this piece got obliterated. Even on minor crashes, this piece seems to be vulnerable. I've reinforced the new one with epoxy/resin but I doubt it will make a difference if it noses into the grass. When the GoPro is attached, I won't fly without 2 tight velcro straps.