HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:16 AM
I love my HammerHead wing...
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.in.Maryland View Post
Tom, I am really interested in your balsa mod. After you form it, how do you join it in one piece? (procedure). Thank you.

P.s: Alpha1Actual, impressive paintjob! It looks like you bought it that way!
sgrouts is offline Find More Posts by sgrouts
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:06 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Motor Choices... continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
The 3536 will fit, I've seen it mounted. Look at the mount I made 3 posts up, it should fit that motor nicely

The stock motor is a beast for such a small motor and offers plenty of power for a stock setup, even with a 3S 5000mah up front. If you just want to get it up in the air, use the stock motor until you come up with a solid mount.

Whatever you do, replace the stock ESC and servos before your maiden.
Cheers for posting the info about the motors. I have temporarily fitted the 2217/6t 1500kv 250w motor with an apc 8 x 4 prop. It is the only motor that would fit in the hole on the mount. I didn't get a stock motor with the plane, just the airframe, is this normal? I am tempted to think that i have a weird version of this plane, as the reviews say it has indents for the COG, but mine has stickers on the cg under the wings, no indents.

I am tempted to change the elevator linkage, from the Servo horn upto and including the elevator control horn. Hopefully will be doing a maiden soon, if that works i will be installing my Ardupilot APM2 Autopilot.

Cheers
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
I agree that a 35 36 motor will fit. I fitted Turnigy Park 480 1320KV. (maybe I'll post images later)
But I suggest this: http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...kywalker-p-991

As you can see it is affordable,
it weights only 99gr,
it produces 1.128 gr of thrust using a 8x5 prop, (so you don't have to lift your tower to fit a bigger prop)
the prop is not stalling at 13.209 rpms,

and most importantly in WOT it consumes only 14Amps.
So it gives you almost half an hour of flight time in a 390gr 3.700mAh 4S battery.
(I attach the e-calc image below)
Cheers for the info, It is very helpful, hopefully others will also find it helpful when selecting motors... thank you
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie967 View Post
Cheers for posting the info about the motors. I have temporarily fitted the 2217/6t 1500kv 250w motor with an apc 8 x 4 prop. It is the only motor that would fit in the hole on the mount. I didn't get a stock motor with the plane, just the airframe, is this normal? I am tempted to think that i have a weird version of this plane, as the reviews say it has indents for the COG, but mine has stickers on the cg under the wings, no indents.

I am tempted to change the elevator linkage, from the Servo horn upto and including the elevator control horn. Hopefully will be doing a maiden soon, if that works i will be installing my Ardupilot APM2 Autopilot.

Cheers
I believe there is a kit/model only version of the Raptor, which wouldn't include a motor. Here's a list of the different versions of this plane: http://lanyumodel.en.alibaba.com/pro..._rc_model.html

I flew for weeks and had a some great flights using the stock motor. However, I found the motor's limits when loading up the plane with gear and adding a GoPro to the nose. My advice to anyone who plans to fly FPV with this plane is to:
Replace the stock ESC and servos immediately. My stock ESC fried on the bench before my first flight and I immediately replaced it with a 60A Turnigy Plush. The blue servos included with the plane are low quality servos that were glitching badly and moved erratically. I replaced all four with HiTec HS-65MG servos. I've used these servos on other planes, as they're strong, reliable, and movement is very smooth.
Replace the stock motor and don't be afraid to fabricate your own mount. The stock motor and mount are a liability if you plan to load up your plane with heavy FPV gear and send it far away into the sky. I noticed a lot of play/movement in the stock motor, and it got worse over time. This was also evidenced by damage to the fuselage area directly below the prop. As time went on, this area was being cut into by the prop due to motor movement and motor tower flexing. Upon opening the tower you will find that the motor is being held by two small screws mounted to a piece of plastic. There was plenty of play/movement here regardless of how tight the screws are. Additionally, motors generate lots of heat. Mounting a hot motor to a piece of plastic with 2 small metal screws is a recipe for disaster.
Another issue to consider is the motor angle problem due to the play/movement in the tower. Watch carefully as you open the throttle, you'll notice the motor and tower flex forward, altering the motor angle and making hand launches very scary. I had a difficult time with this, resulting in many nose dives into the ground @ launch. For these reasons, I'd recommend replacing the stock motor and devising a better, stronger, sturdier mount.
Just my 2.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Tom, I am really interested in your balsa mod. After you form it, how do you join it in one piece? (procedure). Thank you.

P.s: Alpha1Actual, impressive paintjob! It looks like you bought it that way!
The canopy was formed from three 3"x24"x3/32" sheets joined together with titebond II. Then wrapped around the existing canopy with rubber bands and a wet paper towel makes the balsa pliable. Pictures show how to do it.
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
@Tom

Canopy looks like it's coming along nicely! Will it serve a purpose (base for mounting cameras, etc) or is it purely cosmetic? Either way, very creative.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
@Tom

Canopy looks like it's coming along nicely! Will it serve a purpose (base for mounting cameras, etc) or is it purely cosmetic? Either way, very creative.
It was actually very easy to make. You can trim the balsa with a pair of sharp scissors. As the wet balsa forms over the canopy cut some wedges into the curves to allow it to mold over. If there are gaps just add some small chunks of balsa once it's dries and curved. Then ad some silk or Fiberglas to the inside with epoxy resin.

I not sure what I will use either a simple thumb size video camera or might make up some telemetry electronics.

I may make several canopies with different purposes.

I am still modifying the plane in other ways right now, getting ready for engine and esc mounting.

I really like the idea of painting some visibility marking onto the white plane.

I am concerned about the bottom of the PVC nose getting smashed or scuffed on landings too.

Best regards to all flying the FPV Raptor,
Tom
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:23 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Has anyone here run into this? When i hand throw mine i am at full throttle, after release, it plunges downward, until i pull up quickly when i get my fingers back on the up elevator. The plane flys after that trim level. I have a good bit of down trim to make it fly level.I think that`s what makes it go downward at hand launch. The prop and motor shaft looks straight with no down or upward thrust. Also, at low throttle flybys it will tip stall very abrupt. I am using the stock motor,3c 2200,with lead weight added to nose.Lands great with a little power right before touchdown.Full camera equip. with killer cam and fatshark 100mw before tail.
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Has anyone here run into this? When i hand throw mine i am at full throttle, after release, it plunges downward, until i pull up quickly when i get my fingers back on the up elevator. The plane flys after that trim level. I have a good bit of down trim to make it fly level.I think that`s what makes it go downward at hand launch. The prop and motor shaft looks straight with no down or upward thrust. Also, at low throttle flybys it will tip stall very abrupt. I am using the stock motor,3c 2200,with lead weight added to nose.Lands great with a little power right before touchdown.Full camera equip. with killer cam and fatshark 100mw before tail.
Laughing hard right now. Go back a few weeks of posts and see how frustrated I was by this. Of all the many times I broke/crashed my first Raptor it was from hand launches only, never when flying (ok well the final crash was @200'). This plane just loves to scare the shiz out of you when throwing it. It's kissed the ground hard at many different weights and frustrated the hell out of me every time. Proper CG is critical, but with the stock motor and weight from FPV gear you must throw this bird like you MEAN it. 45 degrees and hard. With the stock motor and FPV weight, the plane needs about 60' to gain enough speed to lift. The motor angle and motor tower flex isn't helping here either. Some guys take off from grass, gravel, sand, etc. but loaded up with weight my plane barely moved. With the Power10 motor @ full throttle, no more scary launches
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
@Tom

I may use it fora thumb size video camera or some telemetry electronics. The canopy is easy to make the wet balsa sheeting can be cut with a pair of sharp scissors. Afterward you can fill in some small chunks of balsa with ca and sand a little. The wet balsa forms with a few wedges cut into the curves.

Best of luck,
Tom
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Check you CG as this is a symptom of either to far aft CG or incidence problems and I doubt it is the incidence on this sort of model.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Engine. Mount

Seems like several people are using a 10 size motor. That seems to be the motor of choice. I am setting up for a rimfire 1250 10 motor. I have beefed up the engine mount with some high quality 1/8" bud noser airplane model plywood on the inside of the engine mount and the outer mounting face. I posted a picture a few days back.

My question is regarding the prop shaft angle if I add a small washer or shim to the mount I can change the prop shaft angle. Some have said that tilting the shaft upward would help with launching does anyone have knowledge, or recommendations on the prop shaft angle???

Thanks, Tom
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.in.Maryland View Post
Seems like several people are using a 10 size motor. That seems to be the motor of choice. I am setting up for a rimfire 1250 10 motor. I have beefed up the engine mount with some high quality 1/8" bud noser airplane model plywood on the inside of the engine mount and the outer mounting face. I posted a picture a few days back.

My question is regarding the prop shaft angle if I add a small washer or shim to the mount I can change the prop shaft angle. Some have said that tilting the shaft upward would help with launching does anyone have knowledge, or recommendations on the prop shaft angle???

Thanks, Tom
I started with the shaft angle perfectly level with plans of throwing a washer between tower to raise it if needed just as you described. 4 flights on the Power10 and so far no problems at all. I did reinforce the base of the tower and its receiving plate on the fuse with small screws and epoxy to minimize the flexing I was seeing on my first Raptor.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:41 AM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
Tks. Looks pretty common.
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
I started with the shaft angle perfectly level with plans of throwing a washer between tower to raise it if needed just as you described. 4 flights on the Power10 and so far no problems at all. I did reinforce the base of the tower and its receiving plate on the fuse with small screws and epoxy to minimize the flexing I was seeing on my first Raptor.
Describe "started with the shaft angle perfectly level with plans of throwing a washer between tower to raise it if needed just as you described." in a little bit more detailed way...
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo