HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
I'm using a 3s 5000mah w/ 60a Plush ESC, EzOSD, EzUHF, and a 3s 800mah for RangeVideo 800mw TX + TBS69 camera. Using the stock motor, I'm seeing 30 minute flights. The plane launches smoothly now with a nice hard throw, and doesn't feel underpowered. Using this setup, average speed has been 65mph, maximum speed reported @ 88mph, and with no throttle she glides beautifully. Next week I plan to replace the TBS69 with a GoPro using the live feed. I anticipate weight issues with the heavier GoPro so I'm wondering how the Aerodrive motor is holding up, and how bad the tradeoff will be regarding shorter flight times from these power hungry motors.
I have not taken delivery of any of the components yet, the plane has been at customs for ages! Fingers crossed I will have all by the weekend, and will hopefully be reporting back on monday/tuesday.
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Maidened my raptor today!! I'm usually a micro-help pilot, have never flown a plane before except in a sim. This thing is pretty easy!! Crashed lightly on first flight, no damage, fuselage is tougher than it looks. Landed it relatively gently on my second flight, then made mistake of "one last flight" and hit a soccer pole with a wing on landing. Stripped out the wing mounting holes on right wing.

Whats the best way to fix it??

FYI, flaperons on this thing work great, behaves just like the sim. Very reduced aileron authority, but really slows it down nice and gentle.

Had hobby king hd wing cam mounted, this thing NEEDS something in front to balance properly. Really happy with it tho despite that last crash!
Nait0 is offline Find More Posts by Nait0
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
Croatia
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie967 View Post
The roll the aircraft exhibits when on full power is probably due to the motor shaft angle, or thrust line. not sure the specifics of this aircraft (mine is in the post!), but normally the thrust line is slightly offset to stop this from happening, I believe the problem you are experiencing with the roll is called torque roll.

regarding the pitching up issue, have you ensured the aircraft COG is spot on? Others in this thread with experience with thisplane will be able to tell you if the manufacturers cog is okay. If the COG is spot on, it could be to do with the thrust line again,
Thanks for reply R! I've seen a lot of Raptors on pictures and it seems that the motor angle is to the left everywhere (watching from behind). Even the motor holder is designed to "push" motor to the left side so you can't adjust left-right angle manually.

I'm really unhappy with my raptor :/ after AXN floater I expected "the bigger the better" but, for now, I can't say that. So I tried to adjust motor angle to center but my plane still rolls/banks to right when I apply throttle. I've checked the motor angle on my AXN and it is opposite, to the right when looking from behind. As I said before, without throttle it glides very good and straight, no left or right bank/turn.

Can it really be that this is because I put additional 100 grams of electronics to the back? I don't think that CG can produce such problems because it is in the same place, marked on the wings and plane glides good, of course, with additional weight in nose. I've tried the 45 degree glide CG test and it continues the direction, slowly goes up, stop and then "fall" again down. Maybe it's nose heavy but, as I said, I don't think CG has any link to the "roll/bank to the right" problem. The best thing is - it's stock motor!

Can someone confirm that this behavior is normal or I'm dealing with serious problem? I can turn right with engine, no need to use right aileron, lol!
zerohr is offline Find More Posts by zerohr
Last edited by zerohr; Jun 01, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohr View Post
Thanks for reply R! I've seen a lot of Raptors on pictures and it seems that the motor angle is to the left everywhere (watching from behind). Even the motor holder is designed to "push" motor to the left side so you can't adjust left-right angle manually.

I'm really unhappy with my raptor :/ after AXN floater I expected "the bigger the better" but, for now, I can't say that. So I tried to adjust motor angle to center but my plane still rolls/banks to right when I apply throttle. I've checked the motor angle on my AXN and it is opposite, to the right when looking from behind. As I said before, without throttle it glides very good and straight, no left or right bank/turn.

Can it really be that this is because I put additional 100 grams of electronics to the back? I don't think that CG can produce such problems because it is in the same place, marked on the wings and plane glides good, of course, with additional weight in nose. I've tried the 45 degree glide CG test and it continues the direction, slowly goes up, stop and then "fall" again down. Maybe it's nose heavy but, as I said, I don't think CG has any link to the "roll/bank to the right" problem. The best thing is - it's stock motor!

Can someone confirm that this behavior is normal or I'm dealing with serious problem? I can turn right with engine, no need to use right aileron, lol!
Have you tried a different prop? From your description it sounds like she's tail heavy, which could cause it to fly erratically. Remember, this plane begs for some heavy weight up front. I'd throw in a 3s 5000mah pack up front, slide it back a few inches from the nose and see if it flies better.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
Croatia
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
Have you tried a different prop? From your description it sounds like she's tail heavy, which could cause it to fly erratically. Remember, this plane begs for some heavy weight up front. I'd throw in a 3s 5000mah pack up front, slide it back a few inches from the nose and see if it flies better.
Haven't tried with different prop but yes, I added weight in nose, to be exact 380 grams which is near weight of 5000mah 3s lipo. The plane could not stand on my DIY CG tool/stand and want to slip down and I tried to hand launch it but the plane was to heavy to lift off, even with full throttle.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
792 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the banana connectors that are on the stock motor? Are they 3.5mm or bigger or smaller? I bought a new ESC I want to use in my Raptor and I need to order some banana plugs but I'm not sure what the exact size is.

Also, I have the current ESC in that cowling where the motor sits. And those battery wires run all the way to the front. My new ESC (Mystery) says not to have the battery more than six inches away from the ESC. Would it be OK to put my new ESC where the old one is and run battery wires to the front, the way it currently is?

Finally, are there any U.S. stores that sale the right sized banana connectors? Also, what kind of battery wires should I buy? I've never bought banana connectors before or battery wire. I want to make sure I order the right sized connectors and wires.
HoosierGuy is online now Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:29 PM
Always looking towards the sky
Joined Nov 2005
108 Posts
I get my connectors& batteries from Value Hobby. Not sure the size but i just ordered a couple diff. sizes. 3.5mm is standard. Pretty cheap. I have mine in the pod and have the wires fed to the front with no problems.
Rick B is offline Find More Posts by Rick B
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Mar 2011
193 Posts
Interesting

Haven't tried with different prop but yes, I added weight in nose, to be exact 380 grams which is near weight of 5000mah 3s lipo. The plane could not stand on my DIY CG tool/stand and want to slip down and I tried to hand launch it but the plane was to heavy to lift off, even with full throttle.

I am sorry if you posted this elsewhere but what engine and Esc are you using again? I am really surprised to hear you don't have enough power as many of the people here have 5 pound planes and they are flying very well.

I am waiting on my CG machine to ensure my balance is correct before I try my maiden flight but power does not seem to be a problem at this point. Some people actually take off on the grass so maybe you are under powered at this point. It may not be your only issue but it certainly sounds like one. Why did the plane not stay on the CG machine? I was curious about that.

Marc
mguilbau1 is offline Find More Posts by mguilbau1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:49 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
I replaced the stock motor with linked one. I fitted perfecly. I thing 2826 will be also fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120494714582...84.m1497.l2648
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:45 AM
Croatia
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguilbau1 View Post
I am sorry if you posted this elsewhere but what engine and Esc are you using again? I am really surprised to hear you don't have enough power as many of the people here have 5 pound planes and they are flying very well.

I am waiting on my CG machine to ensure my balance is correct before I try my maiden flight but power does not seem to be a problem at this point. Some people actually take off on the grass so maybe you are under powered at this point. It may not be your only issue but it certainly sounds like one. Why did the plane not stay on the CG machine? I was curious about that.

Marc
Stock engine and Hobbywing 40A pentium ESC with external 3A/5V UBEC. I have enough power but with 300 grams of nose weight I wasn't able to hand launch it because it looks like I'm not that strong, haha. About CG machine - I have DIY stand with pencils and, with all the extra weight in nose CG was extreme nose heavy and the model can't stand on CG machine in this case - it will fall down on nose and off my CG stand.

I really don't know what's the problem here. It seems that CG changes strangely here when you put something extra in it. For example: when it was flying good (efore mods) - it has 295 grams of weight in nose (lipo, rx, esc and canopy cover) and behind CG spot there were only two 9 gram servos (25 grams) - with that CG was a little bit nose heavy, just a little bit and it was flying like its tail heavy but there was no right roll on throttle.

Now, I have in rear (behind CG spot) 100 grams (ESC, two metal gear servos and RX) so this is 75 grams more than before and to achieve the same CG as before I have to add ONLY 260 grams (lipo and dummy weight., no canopy cover) .

In lets say, "normal math", if I add 75 grams in back, I should add the same amount in front (total 360 grams) to achieve same CG as before, but here, this is not the case, as you can see, I have to add less weight to achieve same CG. If I put the more than 350 grams I can't hand launch it because it falls on nose and on CG stand its extreme nose heavy.

Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,337 Posts
It depends on how far from CG you place the extra weight. Double the distance and the effective force will be four times the weight.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,148 Posts
can any one show some pictures of camera mounts, preferably for a gopro.
I have a Raptor waiting in the US and I'm bringing the fpv gear with me. Wanted to pre build it over here to save time whilst there.
Cheers
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
485 Posts
Received my Raptor a few days ago... It was much heavier than expected. Tough as nails though...

I haven't maiden her yet, as I am waiting on a new motor... I have a really hard time seeing that little 480 sized bell get a 2.5lb or heavier plane into the air, without belly flopping. I could be wrong, but I just don't trust it.

Going to go for about 150W / lb, maybe as high as 200.

Planing on setting up 3s 5000 with 50A ESC , NTM 3536 1400Kv on 9x6 triple prop.

I haven't reliably weighed it yet, but based on some of the setups I have read about, 2.5lbs should be close to my AUW including FPV gear and batteries.

Again I am guesstimating; this set up should yield about 500 watts, so I am close to my goal.

Had to move the battery back a bit to get the CG right. Likely would have balanced had I placed the 300mW VTX (30g) out on the tail. I like it better all tucked in and protected under the wing cover...Gave up on the pan and tilt for now, once I get used to it I may move the VTX and put the pan/tilt in.

Added some glider style landing gear, and a tow hook to the nose. A single wing wheel is there to get her going... Plan on using a bungee and a few sheet of ply on top of the grass to launch it. I am hoping to have enough pull from the bungee to take some of the Amp draw off the start... in order to try and squeeze some long flights out of it. Looking for about a 5 -7A cruise

All and all I am happy with this plane.

Here are some pics of my setup. More later when the motor and servos arrive next week.
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRquaeler View Post
Hi Firatp,

The stock ESC is not able to supply sufficient power for all the servos. My stock motor was shaking like hell so I replaced it too.
I run this motor: http://grafik.ws-modellbau.de/POLY-T...36/c30-36.html
I use a 11.1V 3S battery.
A friend of mine runs a E-flite Power10 in his FPVRaptor also using 3S batteries.
The Power10 is on the heavy side, but the additional wheight can be compensated nicely by a bigger battery(3S 5000mAh).

Every Motor with 1100 up to 1250kV, approximately 100 gram mass and 35mm maximum outer diameter should do the job.

We run a 8x6APCe prop with these motors.

An AXI 2814/16 (830kV) should be fine too using 4S battery packs.

To show how to fit the motor see the pic.

Cheers.
How is the Power 10 motor holding up in your friends Raptor? This motor arrives in two days and I'm thinking hard about a solid way to mount it in the stock tower. The pic you posted of your friends mount looks like it might not support the power of this motor. Is it glued between the screw housing or wedged? Has he had any problems with it?
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
Received my Raptor a few days ago... It was much heavier than expected. Tough as nails though...

I haven't maiden her yet, as I am waiting on a new motor... I have a really hard time seeing that little 480 sized bell get a 2.5lb or heavier plane into the air, without belly flopping. I could be wrong, but I just don't trust it.

Going to go for about 150W / lb, maybe as high as 200.

Planing on setting up 3s 5000 with 50A ESC , NTM 3536 1400Kv on 9x6 triple prop.

I haven't reliably weighed it yet, but based on some of the setups I have read about, 2.5lbs should be close to my AUW including FPV gear and batteries.

Again I am guesstimating; this set up should yield about 500 watts, so I am close to my goal.

Had to move the battery back a bit to get the CG right. Likely would have balanced had I placed the 300mW VTX (30g) out on the tail. I like it better all tucked in and protected under the wing cover...Gave up on the pan and tilt for now, once I get used to it I may move the VTX and put the pan/tilt in.

Added some glider style landing gear, and a tow hook to the nose. A single wing wheel is there to get her going... Plan on using a bungee and a few sheet of ply on top of the grass to launch it. I am hoping to have enough pull from the bungee to take some of the Amp draw off the start... in order to try and squeeze some long flights out of it. Looking for about a 5 -7A cruise

All and all I am happy with this plane.

Here are some pics of my setup. More later when the motor and servos arrive next week.
Nice work man. I'd like to see your method of attaching the landing gear and where you got it if you don't mind?

This is the 2 metre version.

Because of the tendency for the camera platform to fly off causing a massive shift in CoG and terminal failures, I have utilised the existing holes with an oversize screw to hold a rubber band across the top.

I am running an E-flite Park 400 Outrunner 920Kv with an 8x8 APC prop; 40A Dualsky ESC; Separate 5-6v volt regulator; x2 20C 2200mAh 11.1 3S batteries in parallel and a 3S 1300mAh 20C 11.1 for the camera, servos and lighting.

I have E-flite DS76 Digital servos and Futaba 10CG with the 8 channel S.Bus Rx (allowing me up to 10 channels. I am about to install the FY31-AP and Hornet OSD, just waiting for my 2-6 day delivery that is already at a week grrrrr...

I have checked my CoG with everything except the camera/Tx but I expect that will add little to the weight as you will see when I post it here in a few days. All up the plane weighs 1500g (3.3lbs).
Hallmark is offline Find More Posts by Hallmark
Last edited by Hallmark; Jun 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Additional Information