BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigob View Post
It are two flight packs for my Sbach 107"
And with 2 PL8's it will be no problem, only still need to order
4 x Trojans T-105 225 Ah 6V. So that I can charge at the field.

Bart,
Great setup
This Sbach is great looking plane!

Keep us posted and "much good weather".

Cheers,
Rob
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:51 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Iím going back to Turnigy nano-trech

I now have 4 5300 packs and am disappointed in the cell matching. Two are ok and two are not. One has IR of 0.9, 0.9, 1.4, 2.3 (CellPro charger) and takes noticeably longer to balance.

I think I will go back to Turnigy nano-tech as they are better matched and require little or no balancing. Too bad that they don't import them to the US warehouse.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:39 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I now have 4 5300 packs and am disappointed in the cell matching. Two are ok and two are not. One has IR of 0.9, 0.9, 1.4, 2.3 (CellPro charger) and takes noticeably longer to balance.

I think I will go back to Turnigy nano-tech as they are better matched and require little or no balancing. Too bad that they don't import them to the US warehouse.

hmmm...all the ones I received are perfectly matched.

You need 40c Nano to get the same low IR rates. My Nano 25C are 3times the IR of the GensAce. 9mOhm per cell compared to 3mOhm per cell.

lowest IR I have seen on packs are GensAce.

At the other hand.... Rhino did beat ThunderPower and Nano did beat again Rhino and now GenAce did beat again Nano here. (in my hangar)

But... Nano are great. The difference between Nano 370mAh 25C compared to Kokam 350mAh where "shocking".

And maybe you just need luck as well

My short list is anyhow, GensAce, Nano and Rhino.

TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:41 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
Dear HobbyPartz,
I love the performance of the GensAce but I don't like the main wires coming out sideways. My small planes tend to not have room for that sideways protrusion. Any chance of having the manufacturer change this?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Dear HobbyPartz,
I love the performance of the GensAce but I don't like the main wires coming out sideways. My small planes tend to not have room for that sideways protrusion. Any chance of having the manufacturer change this?
Helicopters also. You really have to mash the wires down hard to get them in some helicopters. Also I donít like those very short balance wires, please make them a little longer.

Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Helicopters also. You really have to mash the wires down hard to get them in some helicopters. Also I donít like those very short balance wires, please make them a little longer.

Using an Xacto knife, you can carefully cut a square notch out of the wrap right in front of the discharge cables so that you can bend them down. Or you can just buy the Sky 40C version. They are very similar in performance.
alexf1852 is offline Find More Posts by alexf1852
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
Using an Xacto knife, you can carefully cut a square notch out of the wrap right in front of the discharge cables so that you can bend them down. Or you can just buy the Sky 40C version. They are very similar in performance.
I prefer not bending solder joints if I don't have too. I'm also using SkyLipo 40C as opposed to GensAce because of that same reason. If HobbyKing ever stocks of NanoTech in there USA Warehouse, I'll be trying those.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:19 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
While were on a rant mybe use Deans plugs instead of what ever thay are plugs.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:56 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I've heard this side exit complaint a couple times about Gens Ace, and their comparison to Sky. I just don't seem to get it. The Sky lipo I have is nearly identical to my Gens Ace, they have side exit for the main discharge leads, Sky just brings the shrink wrap up a little higher to force the wires to bend towards the top of the pack. If you really don't like the Gens Ace wire exit, you could always put a piece of tape to bend them, as I've done on my pack below, or as someone suggested, cut out a small slot.

Of course, at the end of the day, use whichever packs make you happy. Personally though, I'd certainly never pass on the great Gens Ace power, at a great price, just because the wires come out the side, when the alternative everyone seems to point to does almost the exact same thing, except that the shrink wrap does what you can easily do yourself.

As small side note, my Spyder packs and Hyperion packs both come out the side, again, the shrink wrap is what forces the wires to exit out the top, none of them are soldered or constructed to exit the top.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,295 Posts
That's a pretty good solution you have there in your second photo, Eric. Thanks for the idea.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
While were on a rant mybe use Deans plugs instead of what ever thay are plugs.
The problem with Deans is that I run 5300 packs and the peak current will far exceed the Deans connector capability.

Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:00 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
Eric,
I guess it depends on the pack size for the SkyLipo. My 1000mah 3S 40C and 1000mah 4S 30C & 40C has the main wires pretty much in line with the side wall of the lipo. The protrusion might be 2mm or so at most.

Some of my scale planes have big lipo compartment so don't care. Others barely fits the width of the lipo much less accommodate the protrusion. Its just the situation I'm stuck in with small planes.

Is there a benefit to the sideways exit of the GensAce?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Eric,
I guess it depends on the pack size for the SkyLipo. My 1000mah 3S 40C and 1000mah 4S 30C & 40C has the main wires pretty much in line with the side wall of the lipo. The protrusion might be 2mm or so at most.

Some of my scale planes have big lipo compartment so don't care. Others barely fits the width of the lipo much less accommodate the protrusion. Its just the situation I'm stuck in with small planes.

Is there a benefit to the sideways exit of the GensAce?
I don't know if there is a benefit, but the point I was making is almost every pack I have has the wires coming out the side, just Gens Ace doesn't use the pack shrink wrap to force the wires to bend. One thing that makes it a little more difficult to bend the Gens Ace wires is the extra heat shrink they put on the wires at the exit point. Bend or not, I think this is a good thing, adding an extra amount of strength to a potential weak point. That doesn't mean they won't bend, just that you have to use a little more force.

Like you said, it may just depend on the model as to which design will fit better. You like them out the top, it's just as likely that someone else prefers them out the side. No design is going to be all things to all people. I have a plane that takes 4S 2200's and 2500's. The side exit is perfect on the 2200's, but due to the cell sizes of the 2500's they are just too tall when the wires exit as they do, and why I've taped them down in the picture above.

It's just my opinion, from personal experience and reading other's experience, that Gens Ace has a little better quality control, cells are better balanced and matched, and for a given C rating I think they perform better. I understand if it's just impossible to get a Gens Ace in your battery bay because of the wire design, but just ruling them out all together because of that and going with, IMO, an inferior battery doesn't make much sense to me, especially when it can quickly and easily be made to fit most models just as any other battery with just a little bit of ingenuity.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
Eric,
Performance-wise, I agree that GensAce is best for the price you pay. I used to be all about HobbyKing's Rhinos but have since turned to GensAce and SkyLipo.

If it doesn't fit then it doesn't fit. Cutting and bending is not what I prefer to do. I'm sure it can be done but maybe I've had enough electricity shocks in my life to be fearful. SkyLipo is indeed inferior but it goes under the "good enough" category for me. If GensAce does change their ways, I'd be happy to convert my stash over in a heartbeat.

On another note, is GensAce over sizing their lipos? I have some 450mah 25C 3S. On my early flights, not knowing the actual watts in flight, I "over used" them. LVC didn't kick in at all but recharging shows over 450mah put back...in the upper 400's somewhere. I also compared the size to Rhino 610mah 2S and the length & width were practically the same. Thickness per cell is too small for me to discern a difference so that variable is not taken into account. However, could this be a reason why their 25C is performing like brand name 40C?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:25 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
On another note, is GensAce over sizing their lipos? I have some 450mah 25C 3S. On my early flights, not knowing the actual watts in flight, I "over used" them. LVC didn't kick in at all but recharging shows over 450mah put back...in the upper 400's somewhere. I also compared the size to Rhino 610mah 2S and the length & width were practically the same. Thickness per cell is too small for me to discern a difference so that variable is not taken into account. However, could this be a reason why their 25C is performing like brand name 40C?
I've had others ask the same question, and to be honest I've never dissected one of their packs to know for sure what capacity their 450 cells truly are. What I do know is my comparison of Gens Ace 450's to Hyperion 450's. Below are some numbers I reported a while back.

EPP Yak55 with a Blue Wonder motor and a GWS 9x5 prop:
Gens Ace 2S 450mah 25C (Brand new pack)
7.4v
8.2 amps
60 watts
IR 16 16 32 total
Weight- 33 grams

Hyperion G3 2S 450mah 25C (Roughly 5 cycles on this pack)
7.0v
7.8 amps
55 watts
IR 243 total (these packs don't have balance taps, so an individual cell reading can not be taken)
Weight- 30 grams

As you can see, they are only 3 grams heavier than the Hyperions, but also the Hyperions didn't have balance wires and connectors, so actual cell weights and dimensions were likely identical. Also if you look at the weights reported on Hobby King's website for various packs in this size, the Gens Ace are slightly heavier than 20C's of the same size, the same weight of others with the exact specs, and slightly lighter than the 600+ size 20C packs. Knowing all that, just by looking at all the evidence, I don't believe they under rate the capacity. In reality though, whether they do or don't under rate their size to get better performance is irrelevant to me at the field. So long as they perform as well, or in this case better, they have at least a minimum capacity as they are rated, and they fall in the same weight range as other manufacturer's packs of the same specs, I'm totally fine with it. In my opinion, your scenario was more about tolerance levels of both the manufacturing process and our hobby grade measuring equipment, not so much an attempt to inflate performance results by Acepow.
Last edited by EricJ320; Jul 27, 2011 at 02:31 PM.