Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:43 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
Discussion
AR6400NBL for micro EDF jets

The AR6400NBL is a stand-alone DSM2 receiver with an integrated 4.9A 2S brushless ESC with (at least) 4 servos plugs.

It's the "brick" for E-Flite's SBach 342 however I believe this has the capability to be a very useful (hopefully light-weight) RX and ESC solution for DSM2 users wanting to power micro EDFs up to ~35mm fans on 2S power.

With light weight servos you can probably save many grams of weight over conventional RX/ESC/Servo combos.

I'm hoping E-Flite release these for separate sale soon as I am very curious.

Anyone else wanting to have a look at the AR6400NBL?
Slaanesh is online now Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:49 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
This is the one they should have made in the beginning! Yes I am very interested in this one. Even though the esc should be at least 6amps. But then that would weigh more. I hope the price will be the same as the others. I use the AS6400BL to power the new Rimfire 150 and eflite 180 on separate planes.This would allow for slightly larger brushless motors, and of course smaller fans. What I really want is the separate servos, you can always substitute a BA2.5gm servo for ailerons and leave the linears for all other control surfaces.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:16 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
I'd be keen to piggy back another set of FET's on the first set to get 10A out of the ESC.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:52 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
I'll be sending you mine to mod in that case
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
I wish this had been a 3s unit. 3A has proven to be ample for small 30mm jets, unless you're going for speed contest winner. We had the diode mod for 2s on the AR6400, maybe someone has a 3s mod for the BL version? I did the diode mod and bl ESC addition once with the 6400, and decided I'd wait for them to come out with the BL version. Nice job with the 6400BL, but 3s would be really nice. If I tried a 2s jet, I'd think about using the rudder servo for the ailerons and rudder also, if there is to be a rudder. Even one additional servo weighs, and it's one way to shave some weight for 2s. The setup flies well on a little prop job I did recently.
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
I asked HH if they will be releasing it(AR6400NBL) as a replacement and they said at the moment they do not have plans to do so.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
Funny I sent E-Flite support the same query. Pretty much the same answer too. I mean really - why not release it as a spare? Almost every other part for their model range can be bought as a spare.

*shakes head in disappointment*
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:33 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Well if the SBach that it comes in is bind n fly only, and the price is lowered like the beast has been, then we'll have our spares soon enough. These airframes only last so long any way. None of us want to buy a plane just to gut it for the parts (yeah right) but it happens.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:40 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Funny I sent E-Flite support the same query. Pretty much the same answer too. I mean really - why not release it as a spare? Almost every other part for their model range can be bought as a spare.

*shakes head in disappointment*
Probably because production isn't fast enough to produce them for both new planes and as spares. When they catch up with demand, I'm sure they'll offer these.

Unless of course, they're planning a UM EDF release and they need these for those as well. But I think we're all in agreement that that's a ways away.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
I think Parkzone are going to miss the boat with the UM EDFs if they don't release something this year.

The J-Power 35mm EDFs have won the title for getting there first. They also seem to work well enough.

A Parkzone UM EDF will still sell well as they be a "out of the box" fly experience whereas the J-Power models need a bit of TLC to get going properly.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Well, last year a friend in the U.S. said they(PZ) were working on a UM Habu, but I have not read or heard of anything about it anywhere... ever. I think I am the only one who keeps saying it too....

I tried for years, by contacting many of the large and growing manufacturers, to work on a 30mm EDF. Many were excited.. some said they wanted to do it and would work on it but didn't, one said they would be doing so but kept pushing back the date for making the prototype... until all mail and PM's stopped from everyone....

Tim from RCLander did show the most enthusiasm with plans of producing a 30mm Panther like their bigger 70mm version. He was the one that never followed through on the plan (on getting a prototype CNC'ed or manufacturing anything).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:43 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
I'd like to see a micro Habu myself. Parkzone would not produce a model that does not have a good flight envelope! That's what I like about them. Micro edf's that go around in circles with very limited aerobatic capabilities is still cool but there has to be something more. Getting these light, powerful, and with a good flight envelope is a tall order, but I think Parkzone is the one company that can do it. Until then we will have to wait on Nitro's continuing R&D efforts. Which ain't too shabby. Maybe they should give you a call for advice
And I mean this sincerely.
Keith
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:27 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,421 Posts
Okay so now I know why the AR6400NBL wasn't released yet... Parkzone were waiting to release their UM Stryker!

Now the AR6400NBL is available but it's US$59.95... which really seems a tad expensive being that it's just a RX and ESC

I might just get the UM Strkyer and fly it until I can extract the brick and other bits. I've been looking at getting a micro pusher jet anyway.

Quote:
Specifications

Type: 6-channel ultra micro receiver
# of Channels: 6
Modulation: DSM2
Band: 2.4GHz
Length: 1.48 in (37.6mm)
Width: 1.12 in (28.6mm)
Height: 0.32 in (8.0mm)
Weight: 0.28 oz (7.8g)
Voltage Range: 6.4V-8.4V (2-cell LiPo)
Antenna Length: 31mm
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:25 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
I don't see the point in buying that RX/ESC combo. Weight gain is really minimal and the ESC is limited to 2S only. www.deltang.co.uk has relatively cheap but really light RX's for DSM2.
I'd rather go for that SBach brick which WILL come available as spare. You can't expect customers to buy an entirely new plane when only the brick is defective.

Like mutcake said, it's just a matter of time
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:15 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
The sole reason for the AR6400NBL is so HH can do BNF elevon planes. The Dx6i requires connectors to be swapped on the rx, Dx7 and above do not. This is not possible with onboard servos.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross