Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
USA, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Nov 2003
164 Posts
Help!
Traveling with an Ober winch

Now that I got my new Ober EW 4 winch what type of box do you use when shipping. I am planning to go to the F3J Team selects in Florida and need some ideas before I start.

Robert
Robert-CSD is offline Find More Posts by Robert-CSD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2002
523 Posts
Pelican 1600, I have one for each of my Obers and it is what I used to take one of them to Florida early this year for the Gator F3B.

Mind you that it is good for the winch and some accessories but no room for the turnaround. Some of us use a smaller stake with a winch doc pulley instead of taking the big Ober turnaround.

You can get a bigger Pelican case but consider the weight of the case by itself before going bigger and the airlines oversize restrictions. If you are shipping it then size isn't a big deal, just weight.

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Glauco has it right Ober 1600 for sure.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
USA, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Nov 2003
164 Posts
So how about dealing with the line? I saw some plastic tub style containers. Is this so you can keep the line wet, or do you put the line in a plastic bag with a little water in it. Right now, I have a small towel wrapped around the spool held on with a rubber band. It’s wet and is in a zip lock bag. I just make sure there is a little water in the bag at all times. I am not always soaking all the line about 3 or 4 days before plan to use it.
One more thing - I looked all over to buy empty spools and nada, zip nothing out there. I got a little closer when searching for Plastic wire reel and spools but they want to sell you a truckload.
Thanks for the help – this is really showing my ignorance.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Well there is no reason to soak the line for days and days.

If you need spools, ask the F3b guys to save a few for you. You might have to strip off the trashed line.

You can find 2 1/2 quart plastic containers for the small spools at Depot and Lowes when you need to soak used line.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Robert, come out tomour distance practice a week from Sunday, we will load you up on empties. Check the sticky team thread or PM me for details.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
USA, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Nov 2003
164 Posts
Don’t forget the empties, I will be there early but not sure if I can stay much after noon time.
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Ok, I'll stick them in my line box now. See you on Sunday.