SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2003, 04:11 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2003
357 Posts
How to install torque rod for top-hinged aileron made of solid balsa

Hi I am building a small electric plane with solid balsa aileron sanded to shape and is top-hinged to the rest of the wing. What is the best way to install torque rod so that its axis of rotation is well in line with the hinge line?

Thanks
dimple is offline Find More Posts by dimple
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2003, 10:56 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The torque rod should be bent at 90 degrees on the aileron end. The bent end should fit into a matching aluminum tube imbeded in the aileron so that the bent end can slide in and out of the tube a little. Try to get the axis of rotation of the torque rod close to the axis of rotation of the aileron and let the bent end slide in and out of the tube to allow for misallignment of the two axes.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:19 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
90 Posts
I make molded wings that are all skin hinged the torque rod end is glued into the aleron as per normal but the torque rod is only supported close to the servo arm so most of the torque rod can float in the wing with the movement of the aleron . Work great for me in pylon models
Terry
Terryoc is offline Find More Posts by Terryoc