Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
hi!

I have a question. Recently I bought the frsky FLD-02 Display
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19969

And I have the DJT two-way transmitter module with the receiver DR8-II with telemetry. I have set the RSSI alarm levels on the LCD screen and press save.

The problem now is that the module only have these two levels of alarms and before I installed the LCD it had three levels, it is normal? how can I set the default on the module for the three level alarm?

Thanksssss
Alarm levels are as you say 3 , but one of them is the "off" or "no soud".

0: high pitch
1: middle pitch
2: off
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Yes, for me sounds damaged...
I would monitor the telemetry on a PC to find if the value is still increasing.
If on PC it is fine, then receiver ADC is broken, else the DHT-U is the culprit.
But to monitor data stream on a PC you need another module...
sigh ... getting more and more complicated now ...
maxyeo is offline Find More Posts by maxyeo
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hungary, Heves County, Eger
Joined Jan 2010
37 Posts
Frsky gauge sensor, FGS-01

Hi Pilots,

If i understand right, this sensor can measuring only metanol.
Do you know anyway to measuring for gasoline with this sensor?

Thank you!
rcbedrock is offline Find More Posts by rcbedrock
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
rcbedrock , sorry not replying you on youtube, the account is f...ed and not allow me.
The sensor is capacitive, anything wet near the electrodes make it work.
The problem you might have could be from the superficial tensile of the liquid involved, more exactly how it sticks or not on the plastic tank walls.
First test I did was with water in a polietilene tank, the kind you buy from any supermarket. Because the water stick on the wall s much more than metanol, the tank shows full even one minute after emptying it. This was the reason I did the fingers demo.
Now, with gasoline, no idea, I am an electric "wingman", you should tell me how is it different than metanol. But, given the fact that Hitec is almost identical, I am optimistic that it should work with all common fuels.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
I'm expecting a DHT-U + D8R-II and a DJT + D8R-II combo from hobbyking (together with sensor hub and gps). If I get the DJT working with my bluetooth adapter I prefer to use my android to show all data the way I want it arranged on display.

Did someone try using a bmp085 sensor instead of the frsky variometer? Last one is on backorder for the moment and I have a bmp085 laying around. I think I saw someone with his own sensors on the hub but I can't find that post anymore. What kind of electronics would be needed in between? Any clues?

I already prepared my turnigy 9x to accept the new module. I drilled larger holes (9mm) to get antenna through instead of soldering the antenna wire.

Are the product descriptions on HK not strange? From my reading I understand a DJT module is for JR while a DFT is for Futaba. But hobbyking has a title like "DF module for JR" for the combo with the D8R-II receiver!?

Oh and one last questions. I don't get how the voltage of the battery pack on the plane is measured. I understand 2 analog ports are available on rx but they only accept up to 3.3v?
sh4nce is offline Find More Posts by sh4nce
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4nce View Post
...Oh and one last questions. I don't get how the voltage of the battery pack on the plane is measured. I understand 2 analog ports are available on rx but they only accept up to 3.3v?
Using a thing called voltage divider, explained two pages back.
Now seriously, guys... without ofense, you expect this telemetry to be TOO RTF !
A bit of elementary electricity knowledge is necessary though...
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:46 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
FrSky should make their products more user friendly to user with or without electricity knowledge ....
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:14 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyeo View Post
FrSky should make their products more user friendly to user with or without electricity knowledge ....
I agree

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:57 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Well I'm a software engineer so I have no issues understandings bits and bytes like protocol (love the open protocol!!!) and I do have some basic knowledge of electronics playing with arduino platform but that's it. All I need is a term to search on. At least I know what to google for now. Thanks.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:12 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
But not everyone are software engineer .....
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:35 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Believe me I agree these products should be plug n play. And I believe One day they will. Like many chinese cheap products (no offense) frsky is using it's userbase as testers. I love this but it also means that at the moment it's not all plug n play yet.

Documentation could still be improved for newbies. It's a bit technical at the moment. Also basic instructions other than binding and settings are missing. Why not have some clear images of the available systems showing the needed components and how to connect them. That would make it a lot easier to buy the right combination and get it installed.

I found the information I needed about voltage dividers on Wikipedia btw. Can be done with a set of resistors.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:04 AM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Quote:
Agreed , Im not ingeneer neither (nor hard or software).

Agreed allso that for "standard users" the instructions are a little bit "harsh".

Agreed allso that they expect the users to do some soldering , firmware upgrades, etc..
But things not to complicated either , after all we are aeromodellers (that worths for me as a lot of diferent engeneer knowledges bundled together + some patience) .

I agree you should have been warned before doing the decision to buy this or other brands.

PD :For a "Plug and play" solution you should have elected an "Pay and Pay" brand

But I think its a thing of give and take cos ...

They (frsky) are one of the only rc manufacturers that do open their telemetry protocols.

They realy "hear" what the users want , and realy care to please all what they can (they are open to sugenstions).

They are very "agile" in terms of development , you only have to see all the new products that they have developed in so short time .

In some cases like the D8R rx they have no less than 4 versions of hardware (dont remember how many firmware versions now) only searching to please their custommers in a very short time (again has its pros an cons).

And last but not least they are cheaper that other "more prestigious" brands but as safe (in terms of interference rejection and range) if not safer as them .

Your choice allways ......
Last edited by debianhot; Jan 04, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
Association between non-understanding of terms / wishful thinking of RTF and "cheap chinese" is not fair at all.

This is a sample of how a prestige brand setup could look:

I don't give a name, but the connoiseurs will recognize it.

How can someone expect to have plug and play telemetry, when the plugs themselves are so not standardised !
Look only at lipo balance plugs, there are at least 4 models known by me, but I guess there are many. Each requires a different plug, who should provide all this harness, at what cost ?
This is simply the nature of the beast, it implies much tinkering and knowledge.
Another expensive system will not save you anything when it comes to personalize setup.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:17 AM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Association between non-understanding of terms / wishful thinking of RTF and "cheap chinese" is not fair at all.

This is a sample of how a prestige brand setup could look:

I don't give a name, but the connoiseurs will recognize it.

How can someone expect to have plug and play telemetry, when the plugs themselves are so not standardised !
Look only at lipo balance plugs, there are at least 4 models known by me, but I guess there are many. Each requires a different plug, who should provide all this harness, at what cost ?
This is simply the nature of the beast, it implies much tinkering and knowledge.
Another expensive system will not save you anything when it comes to personalize setup.
My favorite food SPAGETTI !!!!!
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:59 AM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4nce View Post
I'm expecting a DHT-U + D8R-II and a DJT + D8R-II combo from hobbyking (together with sensor hub and gps). If I get the DJT working with my bluetooth adapter I prefer to use my android to show all data the way I want it arranged on display.

Did someone try using a bmp085 sensor instead of the frsky variometer? Last one is on backorder for the moment and I have a bmp085 laying around. I think I saw someone with his own sensors on the hub but I can't find that post anymore. What kind of electronics would be needed in between? Any clues?

I already prepared my turnigy 9x to accept the new module. I drilled larger holes (9mm) to get antenna through instead of soldering the antenna wire.

Are the product descriptions on HK not strange? From my reading I understand a DJT module is for JR while a DFT is for Futaba. But hobbyking has a title like "DF module for JR" for the combo with the D8R-II receiver!?

Oh and one last questions. I don't get how the voltage of the battery pack on the plane is measured. I understand 2 analog ports are available on rx but they only accept up to 3.3v?
Lots of questions ... !!

1) I think bmp085 is the same sensor as used in the frsky (falsely known as) variometer because its realy a hight meter.
In my experience it will give you a precision of 1 meter , so even so its useless as vario.
(Last "oficial" telemetry protocol doc. by frsky says it now sends the integer part of heigtht and a decimal part of heigh (id = 0x21) I have not "seen" any of theese decimal heigh packets , maybe there is an firmware upgrade for the hub ???)
Even so if you pretend to use your own bmp085 height sensor without the frsky hub you must use a microcontroler to read it as its a digital divice with i2c interface and send the value via the hub serial port (obeying frskys open protocol) or convert it to a voltage and sending it throug an ad (like RENATOA has done and HH Thermal Scout does).

2) You are right HK has messed the descriptions , but I think you have ordered the correct one. Some posts in other threads about putting the antenna of the Turnigy tx sticking out of the rf module and in this way make it swapable with the frsky one , well done (if you ever dare to use a turnigy/FLYsky rx any more after testing the frsky ones) . I recomend you to change the standard firmware in the turnigy tx if you have not allready done it , I personaly use erx9 ( at rcgroups this is the theread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6162&page=1017 ).

3) The 3.3 v AD ports has allready been responded before i even posted this.
Last edited by debianhot; Jan 04, 2012 at 07:08 AM.