HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:57 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodelhut View Post
Is it just me or is this product a bit of a let down?

I was rather thinking this would be a neat solution to clip on to the tx, with a lead to the existing tx module.

The simple question is.. why this format?
Thats what I was expecting as well. Something like the Flytron. But, lets see what they come up with in the future for module based transmitters.

This one appears to designed for the hackers. That wire hanging out there just scares the beejeebers out of me! As long as the module is plugged in I have a direct link to the reciever and if the Flytron dashboard gets snagged while I am flying....no big deal. Snag that wire to the FlySky dashboard and thats all she wrote!!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
New in all but 20Y hobbyist
Gratens, little place around Toulouse...
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Ca c'est vrai pour D8R V2 et D8R-II seulement.

Mais je pense que c'est mieux d'utiliser d'autres langues que la langue du forum en petit comite ou dans les forums régionales.

I think is better to use other languages than the forum language in private discussions or regional forums.
Décidément !
en fait, en ouvrant le V1, il est aussi possible de le relier au port com par des pinoches prévues à cet effet. Content de voir que les frenchies se réveillent !

You are absolutly right RENOATA. We are not supposed to speak the moliere language but the sheakspear one. By the way, it's nice to see we are not alone....

Au passage, T'es d'ou RENOATA ? ;-)
lothar2048 is offline Find More Posts by lothar2048
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel49 View Post
Je ne connais pas le soft Ardupilot, je vais le regarder; il est certain que nous n'avons pas tous les mêmes besoins: je suis interessé par l'OSD et j'attends avec impatience l'Eaglelink.
Je voudrais revenir sur un debat que tu as eu avec Renatoa, si j'ai tout bien compris il serait possible de relier le D8R à un PC, le port noté "G,+5V, Rx" serait un port serie complet et l'indication "+5V" serait fausse ?
J'ai essayé de relier à mon PC sur un VRAI port COM, sans succès; ai-je bien tout compris ?

Amicalement,

Michel
Tous les récepteurs de la classe Two Way sont upgradables. Le port série sur un V1 est sur la PCB et doit être relié pour être lisible. Malheuresement, l'utilisation de ce port coupe l'émission et ne permet donc pas de l'utiliser pour lire les données en vol.
Idem pour les V2 et II qui nécessitent de shunter une voie du récepteur pour autoriser la lectures et l'écriture. Cette persévérance de la société à nous refuser l'accès au récepteur est bluffante. Quoi qu'il en soit, j'ai opté pour la récupération des données sortantes du CC2500 et un arduino pro mini pour lire les données et les convertir en signal analogique (RSSI).

So the question is, what do you need to do with the serial port ?
There are so kind of possibilities to read some values with a shunt programed by an arduino. The receiver reset is very fast, so it's possible to switch fastly from R/RW or capture directly things from the PCB. Let me know.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar2048 View Post
Hi Mr WU.

1/ Do you plan to offer analog RSSI output for OSD's User integrated to the receiver and not consuming any available channel (I mean a dedicated pinout) some day ?

2/ Is there any way to use the DHT-U data to be exploited inflight on an OSD or an MCU that would also provide flight stabilisation, RTH and so on ? In fact, do you plan to offer an OSD in the next developpement days ?

3/ Is there any way to use the transmitted data on ground for being used with a ground station and not an LCD screen on the TX ? Do you plan to make such application usable on a PC and a serial interface connected to the TX ? Would the datagram description be available to the public for making it ?

4/ Would you offer specific antenna replacement as data is transmitted from the receiver to the ground and distance from the pilot can be an issue for correct data transmission ?

5/ When would it be available ?

cheers.

Dear lothar2048,

1, FrSky will release D8RSP-II soon, with Ch1~Ch6 for servo output, Ch7 for RSSI (PWM) and Ch8 for Combined PPM.

2&3, Yes, DHT-U can be used to exploit inflight data on OSD that at the meantime would provide flight stabilisation in the next development. More FPV/OSD/UAV-specific products will be released in the near future. We will also make sensor hub protocol open soon, by which users can integrate into your own project.

4, Remembered your question regarding rx antenna, that's true diversity and will select the one which has the best signal receiption.

Thanks for your attention.
Eva
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,730 Posts
FRSKY products do look good , i really like the DHT-U's all in one concept
that makes fly so easy.
i feel sooner or later,
short range FPV flyer will not need OSD equipment anymore
cheers,
FOXTECH,
Fu
glassfox is online now Find More Posts by glassfox
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Foxtech 2014 Christmas Video
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:01 AM
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Dedicated RSSI analog port still needed, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Dear lothar2048,

1, FrSky will release D8RSP-II soon, with Ch1~Ch6 for servo output, Ch7 for RSSI (PWM) and Ch8 for Combined PPM.

2&3, Yes, DHT-U can be used to exploit inflight data on OSD that at the meantime would provide flight stabilisation in the next development. More FPV/OSD/UAV-specific products will be released in the near future. We will also make sensor hub protocol open soon, by which users can integrate into your own project.

4, Remembered your question regarding rx antenna, that's true diversity and will select the one which has the best signal receiption.

Thanks for your attention.
Eva
Dear Mr WU

1) No thanks. I'm using all my channels so i cant' sacrify any.

CH1 - Ailerons.
CH2 - Elevator.
CH3 - ESC
CH4 - Rudder.
CH5 - Flaps.
CH6 - FY20A Flight Mode Switch.
CH7 - Camera Pan.
CH8 - Camera Tilt.

No more channels available. I'm already sacrifying Night Lights and OSD's page switch.

In fact, i was talking about a dedicated port like AD1 or AD2 dedicated to Analog RSSI ouput. PWM output is useless for many users as OSD's only offers analog input and don't have sampling capabilities. I understand the goal of this but what is this offering next ? It can't even be used for a stabilisation system as the datagram is only showing the actual servo state and the integrated PWM value for RSSI you added. Let me know if i'm wrong but i don't understand why PPM output can be interesting and what should be their applications instead of building another CHANNEL management board with an analog RSSI output. It's like the receiver is not used anymore and all data's are transfered to another ARM for being processed the way they'd like to use it, with 8 valid channels and RSSI output on a selfmade board... ;-)

2&3) Very very good news. Thank you for that. I'm awaiting availablity of this product and tell you then. You can alreay use the APM planner from the arducopter project. It works with a serial interface for a ground station...
Inflight datagram could also be used with a small ARM to provide informations to an OSD. Very good news as the code is GNU/GPL :!:

4) Would you recommand the use of longer antennas ? I've been reading around that it could damage the receiver. Also, i'm wondering how you can be emitting to the ground and receiving at the same time ? Won't it weak the signal ? Or is the receiver using te weaked antenna to transmit to the ground TX ? In this case, frame drops can be often on ground indeed ? I've not seen in the manual a section regarding the antenna positionning. Would you use a 90° configuration on a cross (One antenna going up and left from the middle, the other one going down and right from the middle).

Kind regards.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:01 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Back on deck

I'm back from my road trip, but getting ready for another soon

I've got three radios at home that I could use to test out the DHT-U, and after considering my old Hitec Flash-5 I've opted instead to use the two Futaba 8U radios, but via a novel method.
As I have a collection of defunct Corona modules from the past, I have stripped one down to virtually no components, and used it as a 'plug-in' module for power and PPM out of the Futaba. Here are some pictures.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:25 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
FDD - Field Data Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.thomson View Post
Is it just me or is this product a bit of a let down?

I was rather thinking this would be a neat solution to clip on to the tx, with a lead to the existing tx module.

The simple question is.. why this format?
Rob, there is a solution just like you suggested. It's a parallel product release that people have asked for.
Called FDD, a hardware version of the FDD_Lite software. FDD may mean 'Field Data Display', not 100% sure about the acronym yet.
The device does what the PC software did. Display the data programmed into the DFT or DJT Telemetry modules alarm points, and also allow changes and display of the current AD1 and AD2 values (with an adjustable multiplier value).
RSSI RX and RSSI TX is on the main screen as well and has an alarm adjustment in the setup display.

So far I've just had a brief play with it while the Futaba handset was controlling my 500 size helicopter. I have voltage monitoring of the flight pack (never done an emergency auto-rotation from a flat battery yet !).

It has two screens as far as I can see, data display, and setup adjustment display. Fairly easy to use if you have used the PC version.

I understand the one I have is from a first batch of only 100 for finding user feedback and customer demand. If popular, the next batch may have a plastic hard case I'm told, these have a black tape covering only. I guess at present they expect it to be kept in your tool box for alarm adjustments, or DIY fitted to your own radio case or a small box...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
openrc*****s *****
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined Sep 2010
1,259 Posts
I think that if they get this in a decent case, that clips to the antenna then there is a potential market. Certainly it would make the conversion of the er9x radios a little simpler as there would be no need to do the telemetry mods!

Rob
rob.thomson is online now Find More Posts by rob.thomson
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
And it needs to be able to display more than just voltages and RSSI information. That display also looks pretty hokey as it is. I know I wouldn't buy one.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Feedback

@ GBR2 & Rob (posts above this one).
Thanks for the comments guys. Seriously I mean. I think the more honest comments that FrSky get to read the better they will be able to target what we want to buy in the future. So positive negative or neutral comments are all good here regarding the Hub or the FDD...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Test jig

In my usual style I've created a test jig for the Hub. A test jig makes repetitive tests easier and also give you good idea of the whole system integration.

It took more time than it looks, but at least now as I get a few hours spare I can start really playing with it all.

Some photos below.
Last edited by PLMS; Jul 24, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:56 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
The LCD Telemetry screen as well

Also fitted the FrSky DHT-U unit to the Futaba 8U this weekend.
I used piece of 10mm wooden dowel to replace the old 36Mhz antenna, and mounted the display to that. It's coloured black with a Sharpie marker.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
openrc*****s *****
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined Sep 2010
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Also fitted the FrSky DHT-U unit to the Futaba 8U this weekend.
I used piece of 10mm wooden dowel to replace the old 36Mhz antenna, and mounted the display to that. It's coloured black with a Sharpie marker.
You should cover the wire leads with black heatshrink. Proably make it a little more robust :-)
rob.thomson is online now Find More Posts by rob.thomson
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:27 AM
Australia, NT, Anmatjere
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Rob, there is a solution just like you suggested. It's a parallel product release that people have asked for.

As far as I can see, data display, and setup adjustment display. Fairly easy to use if you have used the PC version.

I understand the one I have is from a first batch of only 100 for finding user feedback and customer demand.
Hi Martin

Nice effort ,
This is nice if you just want the basics , the things i like

1 Portable program rssi/ batt alarms

2 Small

3 Dont have to purchase any extras / plug n play

And at $22/23 usd well priced

Would like buttons instead of MP3 style three way controll

Can you comment on accuracy.
Emoto is offline Find More Posts by Emoto