SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
848 Posts
This is probably a stupid question but I've looked on the Frsky Eflightwiki & can't find the answer.

Can I connect the FBVS01 voltage sensor directly to the D4rII RX? Is it simply a matter of changing the plug to the one included with the RX or is that not going to work?

This is going into a HLG with a 1S pack & I want to be able to monitor the RX pack without adding too much weight.

Thanks.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
No need for a sensor, receiver voltage is already monitored by ADC1 using 1:4 embedded sensor on receiver board.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
848 Posts
Of course it is.......... Told you it was a stupid question.
Thanks mate.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:56 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
CPPM needs explanation

Hey Guys!

I've been lurking lately on this site and a few others including the FrSky site, and I have a few questions you may know the answers to:

1) I think in understand that the D4RII FrSky receiver is capable of RSSI (for signal strength) and CPPM (to achieve 8 channels of servo or other control with this 4 channel receiver). To achieve the CPPM capability, 2 channel ports must be jumped, but I don't understand the implementation of getting 8 channels, nor do I understand exactly which additional pieces are really required. Can someone please explain in detail?

2) At first I thought that CPPM was part of telemetry, but I think I see now that it is not, but coincidentally the same modules and receivers are able to do both telemetry and CPPM.

a) Telemetry is a way to sample what is going on in the plane, and usually requires a separate monitor (I have the FrSky FLD-02), though I know there is a hack that will display this information on at least the Turnigy 9xR if not other transmitter displays. All telemetry functions require a transmitter function in special receiverss (e.g. D4RII) in the plane to relay this data back to the hand held transmitter module.

Other than information like the voltage supplied to the receiver and transmitter signal strength with is generally supplied by the telemetry capable receiver itself, monitoring for additional data requires a telemetry hub to organize the signals from a multitude of additional sensors outside the receiver.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ensor_Hub.html

b) CPPM is a way to use a digital signal to carry more information on the transmitter's signal (in a single channel) than was previously possible. In addition to special transmitter modules, like the DJT that I use with my Turnigy 9x and 9xR transmitters, we also need a CPPM capable receiver like the D8RIIplus, D8R-XP, or D4RII.(but NOT the D6FR), which can interpret the CPPM signal.

Somehow related to the CPPM signal is something called Sbus. I don't know if this SBus is another name for a FrSky technology (S.Port=Smart Port) with a new series of sensors that do not require a hub, or if Sbus and S.Port are two entirely different things.
3) Can anyone explain this?

However, another device, or devices are necessary to decode the CPPM/Sbus signal for regular servos.

I don't understand exactly how this works or what extra devices are really necessary. There is a CPPM to SBus decoder, a SBUS to PWM decoder (like the FrSky 4-Channel S.BUS to PWM Decoder),
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...M_Decoder.html

and a Channel changer (FrSky S.BUS Servo Channel Changer),
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...l_Changer.html

several types of CPPM to Sbus decoders (FrSky SBus & CPPM decoder with wires, and FrSky Sbus & CPPM decoder with pins) and perhaps more.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-decoder.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-decoder-1.html

4) How do these devices work together and which is necessary for what applications?

VJ
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Last edited by Virginia Jim; Sep 21, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:12 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,783 Posts
The PPM output on the receivers that have it (it's not dependent on the TX module) is simply all servo pulses chained (search for PPM signal on Google, it's several decades old and is what was transmitted over the air by MHz radios).

The output is meant to be used with devices that explicitly accept that signal, typically multirotor controller boards, autopilots and some flybarless controllers where multiple servo connections would just be cumbersome. Not with servos.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:00 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Too much fuzziness and terms mixing...
First read here:
http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...rSky_Telemetry
Then review your post to see if anything remains unclear.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Golden Telemetry Primer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Too much fuzziness and terms mixing...
First read here:
http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...rSky_Telemetry
Then review your post to see if anything remains unclear.
Renatoa:

I am forever in your debt for you sharing the link above to the EFlightWiki where FrSky Telemetry technology is explained in clear English by folks who really understand how we need to learn it!!!

Though I am only 11 pages into this 22 page document, and really need a nap before I finish, this stuff is the best!

Please share this information with anyone interested in telemebry. They will owe you afterward!

VJ
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:41 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Well, more than pin it in the main Frsky resource list, can't do more
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
I'm having a problem with the display voltage in my FLD-02. I've followed instructions in a few videos however my voltage seems incorrect.

When the A1 volt ratio is set to 8, I get 10.2 on the display. When it is set to 6, I get 7.6 - neither of which seems correct. The jumper on the D8R-II is set to A1/X.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Equipment
D8R-II Plus
FLD-02
4s lipo - fully charged - 4.20 volts/cell.
Simkins is offline Find More Posts by Simkins
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:20 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
A1 ratio should be 4, and will see something around 5V, this is receiver power from ESC.
To see the pack voltage you should buy a voltage sensor, connect at A2 and set A2 ratio to 6.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
A1 ratio should be 4, and will see something around 5V, this is receiver power from ESC.
To see the pack voltage you should buy a voltage sensor, connect at A2 and set A2 ratio to 6.
Thank you - just when I thought my quad purchases were finished!
Simkins is offline Find More Posts by Simkins
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
I would rather invest in a cell level lipo monitor/buzzer.
For 4s measuring the whole pack is almost useless, a single cell discharge under 3V can't be sensed if the others three are over 3.5V
Sure, this means a heavily unbalanced pack. but so begins the disasters
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
339 Posts
Guys:

Can anyone direct me to a DIY project that uses the old vario sensor FVAS-01 with the D6FR receiver (A2 analog port) and FLD-02 to display up/down variation for thermal detection? The old sensor is lighter and cheaper than the new FVAS-02 one.

I had heard that someone had done this, but I have not yet found out who or how.

Thanks for any leads on this.

VJ
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
Germany, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Hi,

Does someone recall what the LED on the FAVS-02 is doing when its working properly?
My setup (FAVS-02HP with D4R-II) worked fine.
Unforatantly the Data connector on the D4R-II seems to have some connection issues.
When I press on it, the led on the FAVS-02 goes on for 3 sec and then starts blinking (i suppose thats the normal operation mode), but my Taranis isn't getting any readings... neither vario or altitude.
Flydroid is offline Find More Posts by Flydroid
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:12 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Guys:

Can anyone direct me to a DIY project that uses the old vario sensor FVAS-01 with the D6FR receiver (A2 analog port) and FLD-02 to display up/down variation for thermal detection? The old sensor is lighter and cheaper than the new FVAS-02 one.

I had heard that someone had done this, but I have not yet found out who or how.

Thanks for any leads on this.

VJ
I doubt, D6FR has no (exposed) com port and a known way to send user data down, other than RSSI and A1/A2 voltage.
I can see this working with D6FR and FVAS-02, coonecting the vario analog pin to A2.