HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
Living in the USA all life has kept me from being exposed to the metric system. This bring said brings up these questions.
Will the Frsky sensors display feet, mph, oz, or must I translate from metric.
I currently using a WS How High that displays feet above ground on my er9x r437 FW and a DHT and v2 8ch RX.
I use the HH to stay under 400FT due to local airports and FAA rules. I don't need a vario rate of climb, just altitude.
I ask this because I have the long, long waited for Frsky Hub and altitude sensor on back order. If temp, altitude, fuel level, speed will all be in metric not sure I need them. Possibly er9x could be patched to convert from metric for display if that's possable?
With other options available, and time to cancel my hub/sensors due to backorder, I need an answer ASAP.
Any help clarifying my question is a big help saving me buying something I won't be happy with.
Of course learning the metric system is one answer but I fly to relax and have fun, not go back to school.
Thank you.
SW
Answer from Frsky about their dashboard display of their hub and sensor data"
The unit is optional between Metric and Inch, m/s and MPH in the current DHT-U and new version of LCD Fdd-lite screen."
Good news for me if I use their display options but can the 9x with the modified er9x for Frsky telemitry convert the units it displays?
SM
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:43 PM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford View Post
In what way are your FD records malformed? I assume you are handling the byte stuffing OK.

Mike.
Here is a sniped of the stream that the frsky module otputs .
Its a ziped html document (webpage) that can be opened with your web browser.
Tries to be the more "graphicly" possible (1 image = 1000 words)
At the begining I identify all the telemetry data and malformed blocks , but after a while
i only identify the malformed blocks.

Tell me what you think.
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debianhot View Post
Here is a sniped of the stream that the frsky module otputs .
Its a ziped html document (webpage) that can be opened with your web browser.
Tries to be the more "graphicly" possible (1 image = 1000 words)
At the begining I identify all the telemetry data and malformed blocks , but after a while
i only identify the malformed blocks.

Tell me what you think.
In a user data packet, the first byte after the count is NOT USED as data. It appears to be a packet sequence number. The 1 to six bytes of user data follow this byte.
I think that if you rescan the data you have in this way the data packets are OK.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,474 Posts
Quote:
can the 9x with the modified er9x for Frsky telemitry convert the units it displays?
I am thinking about converting the units, I think we can have a single option to select convert all, or convert none. I'm just working out easy conversion factors.
Since currently the only hub values displayed are temperature, altitude and RPM, I will convert temp from C to F, and altitude from metres to feet, RPM is the same.
I'll consider other values as they are added to the display.

Mike.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
Quote:
In a user data packet, the first byte after the count is NOT USED as data. It appears to be a packet sequence number. The 1 to six bytes of user data follow this byte.
I think that if you rescan the data you have in this way the data packets are OK.

Mike.
OK , I will try it .
EDIT : If the count says by example 6 , this are 6 bytes AFTER the packet secuence byte or does this 6 bytes INCLUDE it (so there are realy 5 useful bytes realy) ??
EDIT of the EDIT , should be "6 bytes AFTER the packet secuence byte" as I visualy rescaned and did not find any malformation.
Thanks a LOT !!!
Last edited by debianhot; Aug 22, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,023 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking about converting the units, I think we can have a single option to select convert all, or convert none. I'm just working out easy conversion factors.
Since currently the only hub values displayed are temperature, altitude and RPM, I will convert temp from C to F, and altitude from metres to feet, RPM is the same.
I'll consider other values as they are added to the display.

Mike.
Thank you so much for trying Mike. I'll let the order for the hub and altitude sensor order stand. I'll also study up and make a chart to convert metric I can carry with me if needed.
I still don't know if I need the hub since you did such a great job of adding the WS HHigh sensor option, but having the hub will let me add features as the need comes up.
Having alarms tied to altitude and fuel level would be great for my field and nitro flying.

Some thoughts,
It may be that these requests max out the display screen and memory of the 9x? Having no idea of how you, and others are able to make these great additions, I'll mention it anyway.
One idea on speed measuring when and if that's added would be a max hold if posable?
It may end up that I'll/we'll need a er9x for most flying and another er9x 9x with a Frsky display/alarm setup for more telemetry if the 9x gets maxed out with so many feature requests.
SM
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,474 Posts
FrSky RPM Sensor

I was flying with the FrSky RPM optical sensor fitted last Sunday. It was bright and sunny. Much of the time the RPM reading was 0.
I had previously tested the sensor in my back garden. Again it often did not read when there was a dark background.
It appears that this sensor has trouble with extreme lighting conditions, i.e. quite light and quite dark.
Has anyone else tested/seen this?

Mike.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
400 Posts
Quote:
I was flying with the FrSky RPM optical sensor fitted last Sunday. It was bright and sunny. Much of the time the RPM reading was 0.
I had previously tested the sensor in my back garden. Again it often did not read when there was a dark background.
It appears that this sensor has trouble with extreme lighting conditions, i.e. quite light and quite dark.
Has anyone else tested/seen this?

Mike.
Cant be sure as I was not interpreting correctly the telemetry data ,
But it was curious that I was not recording ANY packet corresponding to the rpm sensor in my setup . The other 2 sensors (and some more that I dont have ) were sending packets regularly .
Need to redoo my routine , not enough free time now .Maybe tonight I can confirm it to you.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:55 AM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,474 Posts
Quote:
I'll also study up and make a chart to convert metric I can carry with me if needed.
I still don't know if I need the hub since you did such a great job of adding the WS HHigh sensor option, but having the hub will let me add features as the need comes up.
Having alarms tied to altitude and fuel level would be great for my field and nitro flying.
'Latest' version of er9x has a metric/imperial option in the telemetry menu (beside the hub/howhigh option). Temperature and altitude are converted.
If you select WSHhi (set to feet) and imperial I think you will get incorrect values displayed, the option is for the hub. I may need to improve this, but it is a start.

There are no alarm settings (yet!!??).

Mike.
Last edited by Mike Blandford; Aug 24, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Alarm info
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger View Post
Satoru,

The voice synthesis we (VHO & Me) are using is based on the PicTalker (http://home.alphalink.com.au/~derekw/pictalker/main.htm). I modified it a bit, using the hardware USART instead of software. Added buffer. Programmed in some relevent words rather than sending all the phenoms over serial for the common words.

Just if you interested.
Hey I remember your work...
I tried to buy the Rotorvane kit a few years ago.
Clever idea that one

Sorry for the OT post
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:52 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Posting it here:
Here's an idea. How's about making plane specific hubs.
Frank
There could be just one hub but many DHT-U firmwares, tailored for each model type (like you said). So done in firmware, rather than hardware.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,023 Posts
Quote:
'Latest' version of er9x has a metric/imperial option in the telemetry menu (beside the hub/howhigh option). Temperature and altitude are converted.
If you select WSHhi (set to feet) and imperial I think you will get incorrect values displayed, the option is for the hub. I may need to improve this, but it is a start.

There are no alarm settings (yet!!??).

Mike.
I don't know where you find the time to write all the code/changes so fast but thank you.
SM
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
Italia, Veneto, Padova
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
display

hello all
currently use a module tx frsky (V8FT) and to D8R-II RX.
Now I would like to know if there 'a chance to have a display with the telemetry.
I have to replace the TX module with the new form DHT-U?
I would not want to spend some more money for a new module TX ....

Bye
Umberto
colpiumb is offline Find More Posts by colpiumb
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
France, RA, Échallon
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
DHT-U issue in V8 mode ?

Hello everybody

I have a strange issue with my DHT-U module when I try to use V8 receivers.

When I want to bind the receiver, I put on the TX, then I select V8 mode and Bind in the menu. Then I put on the RX with the bind/failsafe switch toggled on

The receivers LED blinks quickly so the bind procedure looks all right. But when I put off the RX an TX, then put ON TX, select the V8 normal mode, and then put on the RX, the led flash slowly = no signal

I tried differents orders in binding procedure, but with no success.

BUT in D mode everything works flawlessly. I was able to use D8R with updated firmware, D8RV2, D8R-II, and D4FR

I also have a DJT module and I can bind the V8 receivers without problems.

Have I done something wrong, or do I need to replace my DHT-U module ?
N.Master is offline Find More Posts by N.Master
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:23 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
Maybe switch to V8 mode, then turn off the Tx then back on and bind.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2