SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
France, IdF, Villeparisis
Joined Jul 2003
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Current D4FR can not do full telemetry reading, but we are planning to release a new receiver with hard housing, 5 channels for servo output, together with one external analog telemetry port and one digital data-stream port, with almost the same dimention as D6FR.

Not sure that 4 5 6 and 8 channels is a good range, 5 and 6 channels are very close especially with the same size.

Why not add one serial data input to D6FR and keep 6 channels.
pegase is offline Find More Posts by pegase
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:42 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,095 Posts
Anyone know what these patch antennas are used for
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Anyone know what these patch antennas are used for
Spanking your bird?

I intend to try one for finding lost planes as they are very directional.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
my system

Well here is the basic of the system I'm adding to FrSky.

I'll have only one home brew HUB on my Electric planes and I'll move it to the plane that I'm going to fly. Yes we only fly Electric . Up to 4lbs ones.

The receiver will have a ribbon cable coming for a hub looking box.
It will read total current and store used current totals.
It will read up to 6S LiPo's , A voltage reading for each cell.

That will make a total 10 analog AtoD's 10bit.
I'll read the Receiver serial Tx line. and send data down via Receiver Rx input.
So the unit will only transfer the needed data for the info of what is now being displayed.
I'll be able to set each read a update priority of 1-10.

It will be able to read GPS NMEA (ASCII) mode. and relay it to control box display.

The HUB will be able to read I2C bus as a master.

The display/HUB can be programed via ISP input.
For program update and update of ROM.

We going to try to keep the FrSky protocol.

I'll be using two AtMega chips. With Nokia_3310 LCD display

I have ordered the FrSky DIY with 8 Receivers but they are back ordered
So maybe this late fall I'll be able to start working on it. LOL
Charles B is online now Find More Posts by Charles B
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford View Post
As from Er9X r435 FrSky hub and HHRT have some support.

Mike.
Mike
I posted this in the The FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle 9CH radio Custom Firmware Facts/How-to Thread.
I flashed to r435 and my WS How High Sensor is displaying 100% on my 9x.
I couldn't be happier. My TX voltage display is right on, the Anx 1,2 are working great and I'm able to set my alarms from the screen.
I did this all from 12A to 2A and went to bed without much testing. I flew it all today and it all works as I has hoped. Everyone at our field wanted me to do flybys at different altitudes since knowone had that feature. We were all amazed at what we thought was, 300, 400, and for a quick test, 1000ft height. Our field is in the path of several airports.
Bravo to you for adding that feature in such a short time.
Showmaster.
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:17 AM
Munich, Germany
Joined Nov 2003
511 Posts
Quote:
Data layout on the first screen of FLD-02 has been modified, suggestions are welcomed here.
Attachment 4206517
Much better than the first version

BUT: Please make if fully user configurable! You may have a look at the way, EagleTree does it? There you can define user-screens. Every Screen has up to 4 values. And you can set up automatically screen switching. For Eagly Tree Display, I set top left and right (voltage and ampere) for all screens the same and the lower part will automatically toggle through not so important stuff like mAh, airspeed, wattage, temperatures etc.

RSSI could be display small an graphically on every page, too.

AND: For me, the 2 most important sensors are still missing (or not good enough

a) I really want an easy to use voltage and amperage sensor. I really consider the way you measue voltages now UNUSABLE! I want a little pcb to connect between battery and esc to show the REAL voltage and amperage, without having to calculate resistance and/or setting up factors. For me, up to 6S would be enough, but I guess some people want up to 10 or 12S?
Next step: calculate the used capacity, if the hub has enough "intelligence" for that?

b) RPM Sensor for brushless motor! Look at the one done by eagle tree, you connect it to one wire of the brushless motor and get the RPM. Don't forget, you need to be able to configure pole-count for the motor and a gear ratio to get the real headspeed/prop speed...

First cover the basics. Volts, Ampere, RPM, mAh.

- Oliver
Smeagle is offline Find More Posts by Smeagle
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle View Post

BUT: Please make if fully user configurable! You may have a look at the way, EagleTree does it? There you can define user-screens. Every Screen has up to 4 values. And you can set up automatically screen switching. For Eagly Tree Display, I set top left and right (voltage and ampere) for all screens the same and the lower part will automatically toggle through not so important stuff like mAh, airspeed, wattage, temperatures etc.

RSSI could be display small an graphically on every page, too.

AND: For me, the 2 most important sensors are still missing (or not good enough

a) I really want an easy to use voltage and amperage sensor. I really consider the way you measue voltages now UNUSABLE! I want a little pcb to connect between battery and esc to show the REAL voltage and amperage, without having to calculate resistance and/or setting up factors. For me, up to 6S would be enough, but I guess some people want up to 10 or 12S?
Next step: calculate the used capacity, if the hub has enough "intelligence" for that?

b) RPM Sensor for brushless motor! Look at the one done by eagle tree, you connect it to one wire of the brushless motor and get the RPM. Don't forget, you need to be able to configure pole-count for the motor and a gear ratio to get the real headspeed/prop speed...

First cover the basics. Volts, Ampere, RPM, mAh.

- Oliver
i definitely agree with that RPM sensor for brushless motors. that would be very useful, as would live amps/ mah used. The optical RPM sensors are no use to me, but one inline in my motor wires would be great and an absolute must have item if it was available. fully user configurable to set our own display combinations would be good.

i'd like to suggest.. is there any way to get the device to log what it displays and maybe save it to an sd card for later digestion at the computer?
Skree is offline Find More Posts by Skree
Last edited by Skree; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,945 Posts
Frsky sensor's uses?

Some of the new Frsky sensors purposes make sense but some confuse me.
What can I measure with the Triaxial Acceleration Sensor (TAS-01)?
What does the GPS (GPS-01) do for me if I'm not using FPV?
What does the Variometer Sensor (FVAS-01) do for me with?
I'm currently using the Frsky modified er9x display.
I have a hub and some Frsky sensors on backorder, and will add the newest display device when it's released.
Thanks to Mike I have a working WS HHigh sensor working.
I'm leaning towards FPV I'm the future but fir now I'm just adding sensors to see what I can do with them. Test plane is a modified Sky Surfer glider.
I may go to a larger version to hold more equipment, any sugestions?
To use my hub I'll need sensors?
I would like altitude displayed in ft, and speed would be fun.
Lipo battery voltage total, and individual cell voltage is on it's way I read.
Without a headsup/FPV headset would the GPS sensor do much for me now?
I guess if I lost it I could find it with another GPS from the last readings?
For gas and nitro the fuel level, optical speed, and tempature sensors added would be of interest.
For electrics, electronic motor speed sensor, and current draw is a nice addition, and speed for jets for bragging as well.
I understand what many of the sensors do, but because of the more technical name given them I would ask someone to define them in more simpler terms.
Speed, alitude, ect. All these would be what the Frsky sensors can measure as sold.
Thank you
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:18 PM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
sensors

It's to bad we can't use the current/temp sensor from Quanum unit.

See below ! It shows the current board and Temp sensor on three wire cable.

It only uses three wire hookup from the sensor board to the transmitter board.
I hook a O'scope up to the data lead and it looks like it has a common data line for Rx/Tx data. It had about 5 to 7 words going to the sensor then it returns with about 7 to 9 word back. I haven't tried to read the TTlL serial data yet.

Just would be neat to use and it cheap. $20 USD.
Charles B is online now Find More Posts by Charles B
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
FLD-02 update

Here are FLD-02 data screen 2, 3 and 4.

Name: data screen-2.jpg
Views: 317
Size: 9.8 KB
Description:

Name: data screen-3.jpg
Views: 242
Size: 11.6 KB
Description:

Name: data screen-4.jpg
Views: 259
Size: 11.0 KB
Description:
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:21 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagle View Post

BUT: Please make if fully user configurable! You may have a look at the way, EagleTree does it? There you can define user-screens.
Guys, be a bit mindful of what you demand here... You could well be suggesting more than the programmers are comfortable doing right now ?
Progressive steps might be needed to get to what you think you want, a big change done badly would be very negative in my opinion.

I know when I write MCU code that I start in small measurable blocks, adding complexity and functionality in layers cautiously, as each previous step proves bug free. Writing a big change in code in one leap is hell to debug.
My 2 cents,
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:27 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Beener View Post
It's to bad we can't use the current/temp sensor from Quanum unit.

See below ! It shows the current board and Temp sensor on three wire cable.

It only uses three wire hookup from the sensor board to the transmitter board.
I hook a O'scope up to the data lead and it looks like it has a common data line for Rx/Tx data. It had about 5 to 7 words going to the sensor then it returns with about 7 to 9 word back. I haven't tried to read the TTlL serial data yet.

Just would be neat to use and it cheap. $20 USD.
Sounds like a perfect micro interface project for somebody keen. Use a perhaps an 8 pin PIC MCU to talk to the sensor, then translate data to send to the FrSky data input on the receiver, decode as normal user data at the TX module ?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:33 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Here are FLD-02 data screen 2, 3 and 4.

Attachment 4212985
Not bad Mr Case Wu
But I'd prefer the annunciation to be inside the numeric box for the readings in the first screen posted.

e.g. [ 120 m], not [120] m.
[60000 rpm], not [60000] rpm.
[120 kph], not [1.2 m/s]

Hope that makes sense to you.

Other than than point I do like the boxes.
Martin
PS. I can't say for other forum guys, but I myself would like kph, not m/s. kph relates to me better in the real world.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:35 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
Sounds like a perfect micro interface project for somebody keen. Use a perhaps an 8 pin PIC MCU to talk to the sensor, then translate data to send to the FrSky data input on the receiver, decode as normal user data at the TX module ?
could this also be done to an eagletree type inline brushless motor speed sensor to replace the optical sensor? we really need that BL RPM sensor. designing/building an interface is way beyond my skills though. i'll have to hope frsky make such a sensor or someone with the skills does a interface
Skree is offline Find More Posts by Skree
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:43 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
So basically you need some sort of connectors to power the module with the screen and to feed signal to it?
I see nobody answered this one (unless I missed it). If I get you right, yes if you use a DHT-U you need to get power and PPM signal from the module pins on the back of a module type TX, and wire it to the DHT-U.
You could use a 5 or 6 pin header plug for a few cents from a DIY electronic store instead of hacking up an old TX module.
If that sounds like what you asked, I can try find a picture of what I mean ?
Martin