Off topic, I am not Frsky
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:05 PM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Have been playing arround with the data stream from the tx rf module (now that I have a frsky hub ) and with the "oficial" frsky documentation on the hub protocol and "I think " its clear for me how it sends the "user data" .

I have reached the point in whitch I have the telemetry data that corresponds to each sensor (doc says it should be 2 bytes ) , what it is NOT CLEAR for me (reading the frsky documentation ) is what type of data it is (unsigned integer , integer ) . The only thing it mentions is it is in little_endian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness so I supose that both byte should be swaped in oder and then converted to what ?????????????????????.

Has someone any clue of this ??? ( Im NOT refering to the "normal" frames that contain the AD1,AD2, Quality1 and Quality2 bytes ) .
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:07 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
To those who poo-poo'd the accelerometer please note I fly rocket gliders [FAI S8E/p] and would like to see that item remain provided it can record or store the flight profile [SD card]. Its nice to know at what point the wings shreaded.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debianhot View Post
Have been playing arround with the data stream from the tx rf module (now that I have a frsky hub ) and with the "oficial" frsky documentation on the hub protocol and "I think " its clear for me how it sends the "user data" .

I have reached the point in whitch I have the telemetry data that corresponds to each sensor (doc says it should be 2 bytes ) , what it is NOT CLEAR for me (reading the frsky documentation ) is what type of data it is (unsigned integer , integer ) . The only thing it mentions is it is in little_endian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness so I supose that both byte should be swaped in oder and then converted to what ?????????????????????.

Has someone any clue of this ??? ( Im NOT refering to the "normal" frames that contain the AD1,AD2, Quality1 and Quality2 bytes ) .
Can't you measure some known values and try guessing ?
For me it's an unknown also what should be the scaling to get real values from binary.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,305 Posts
I now have a FrSky Hub, together with RPM and Temperature sensors (all that were in stock or low enough cost).
Disappointed the hub only comes with a data lead, I had to sort a power lead, which is not a standard lead.
The serial data from the Hub to the Rx is RS232 logic (1=0V, 0=3.3V).
This data arrives at the Tx module as USER DATA in a user data (FD) packet.
I am using a DJT Tx module and a D8R-II Rx. I have not done any firmware updates on them.
I'm currently looking at data on my PC.
From the protocol document (download from FrSky site), it appears all data consists of two bytes, representing a 16 bit number. Little-endian means the first byte received is the low 8 bits, and the second byte received is the high 8 bits.
I have successfully picked out the Temperature and RPM values from the data stream. Temp is in deg C, I have a reading of 25 until I hold the sensor when it quickly goes up to 31.
RPM is in 'number of propeller blades passing the sensor' each second. In artificial light I get a reading of 100 (50Hz mains=> 100 light pulses per sec.).
Next job is to modify er9x to handle this data.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:43 PM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Looks like I did not understand the frsky hubs frame protocol fuly, looks like there SHOULD always be 2 bytes of data after the sensor id byte .

Problem came because I have a very odd dump of the sream that the tx module outputs . In my case there are moment in whitch there are 0 , 1 , 2 , 4 or even 6 bytes of data following the id byte.

Thought that was ok and depending on the sensor it had more or less bytes of data , thats why I was asking for the type of data.

Only taking the first 2 (if there are any) , reversing the order ( little endian) and converting it in an integer looks like it gives the correct values .

Or maybe I have to update to the last roms , Have a very new telemetry hack module and the last version of telemetry receiver (d8r-II) .

Dam ! ,have to do it and make a new dump .
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:23 AM
vittorio veneto (tv)
Joined May 2006
305 Posts
I am interested to use a FRSKY telemetry system on my MC-17 radio (now I use a Corona DSSS module) but I am no expert at all and even some technical terms maybe difficult to understand for me so my apologies if I make some mistake!
I fly mostly slope soarer and my need is for variometer, gps, voltage, temperature sensors this is the buying list I put toghether:
- JR module (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...JT_D8R_V2.html)
- Sensor Hub (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...ub_FSH-01.html)
- V sensor (http://www.himodel.com/radios/Batter...ry_System.html)
- Variometer sensor (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...r_FVAS-01.html)
- GPS module (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...el_GPS-01.html)
- temperature sensor (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...r_TEMS-01.html)
- display module (http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...lay_DHT-U.html)

is there anything wrong? do I need something more?
is there some audio signal for the variometer (it is difficult to read values on display while piloting...)?
What are RX update module and USB cable for?
Thanks
robonave is offline Find More Posts by robonave
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:11 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,283 Posts
The "Variometer sensor" is not a real beep beep acoustic variometer, it only displays pressure/altitude.
RX update module is for older V1 receivers, no more sold today. It is used also for Frsky FASST compatible receivers update, but this is a different story.
USB cable is for firmware updates.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:48 AM
vittorio veneto (tv)
Joined May 2006
305 Posts
Thanks for answering RENATOA!
So the variometer is almost useless for pratical purposes?
Does exist a logging module?
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:48 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robonave View Post
is there anything wrong?
Thanks
yes definitely. You don't use the JR module if you buy the display DHT-U. That's because DHT-U IS a module AND a display. It's not a JR plugin, but it does all functions of a JR module.

Just buy the DHT-U and one D8R-II receiver...

Do you have an old JR module of 35Mhz or something even less useful you can hack for power and PPM ?

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:44 AM
vittorio veneto (tv)
Joined May 2006
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
yes definitely. You don't use the JR module if you buy the display DHT-U. That's because DHT-U IS a module AND a display. It's not a JR plugin, but it does all functions of a JR module.

Just buy the DHT-U and one D8R-II receiver...

Do you have an old JR module of 35Mhz or something even less useful you can hack for power and PPM ?

Martin
Clear! Thanks Martin
I have the Corona module which is installed now or original 35 and 40 MHz modules which I prefer not to hack...
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
So basically you need some sort of connectors to power the module with the screen and to feed signal to it?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,729 Posts
Altitude only sensor?

I have a er9x/ telemitry display modified 9x and DHT setup as as a JR TX with a DJT/ Flytron TX. I have D8R v2, D6R, and the newer D8R-II RX's.
I have a need to display plane lipo battery voltage with alarm, and also altitude. There is a height restriction at our club field.
No requirement for thermal detection, just altitude.
A Frsky hub and sensors would be nice but may be overkill since there are 2 AD ports built into the RX's that can be used.
With all the low cost sensors from Frsky and Eagletree ect has anyone made or modified a sensor I could adapt that would work without the hub into a AD Rx port?
I would also need to know what voltage represents what altitude on my 9x, or JR with the Flytron display.
I plan to purchase the Frsky telemetry system in the future, but due to it's being out of stock most places, it being the first version and more to be released, I would like to wait. All I need is lipo voltage and altitude above ground/runway with alarms to keep the FAA happy. Please
PM me a discription and a price if you have a working PNP circuit or point me to sites that sell what will work with the what I already have on hand. Living in the Los Angeles area near 3 airports has it's height limitations, the readings would be great if they are in feet, not metric.

Thank you
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Last edited by showmaster; Aug 06, 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Additions
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Great news the vario is just what i need for my gliders, but can i modify the signal to 'beep' ?, as there is no way that i am going to look at the screen when my glider is 500 meters out on the ridge.
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:06 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,305 Posts
I've got data from the FrSky hub on the er9x screen now - see post 8738 on the custom firmware thread (page 583). Just need a few more sensors now.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford