HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:22 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
Discussion
Beware when ordering from tower hobbies

Hey guys, just wanted to warn you about Tower Hobbies. I logged in and updated my shipping information on my account. I placed my order thinking everything was all taken care of. I received a shipping notice and confirmation and checked my tracking. I wondered why UPS was saying my package was going to the wrong city. I logged into Tower Hobbies website and found out my package was in fact going to be delivered to my old address of about 3.5 years ago. I have since moved 2x prior to living at that address. So I checked my order history with Tower Hobbies. The only orders I had placed in 2007 and 2008 from an address that is even earlier than the one where my package is going to. There is no way that Tower Hobbies should have the address that the package is now being sent to since I have never placed orders from that address.

To make sure I didn't make some weird mistake because of auto fill. I installed a firefox plugin called form history. I did a search and it shows no records of that address in my browsers history. In addition, I had installed vista on this pc after moving from that address and at my now current address I have windows 7 installed, thus wiping out all possible traces of that old address.

I decided to log back into Tower Hobbies and on my account it shows my mailing address as my 3 moves ago address. My billing address was my current address. I decided to change that information on my account to the correct ship to address and after saving the information it places my current address in both address 1 and address 2 boxes for the ship to address. My bill to address has the my address 1 box blank and the address 2 box has my current address.

Finally I decided to do a fake order to make sure that all the information is correct. When I get to the part for entering credit card information my shipping address is now correct but the bill to address is my old address of 4 moves ago, the address which I had originally made orders from in 2007 and 2008.

So my thoughts are that UPS has a database that all merchants can address and can get all past history of where you lived or whatever company that does the credit card processing for tower hobbies is a company that I used before from another merchant and is some how screwing up and putting old data into tower hobbies database. The bottom line is that your data is not secure with Tower Hobbies, their credit card processing company or UPS.

Address 1 2007 to 2008 (4 orders placed with Tower Hobbies)
Address 2 2008 (0 orders)
Address 3 2008 to 2009 (0 orders)
Address 4 2009 to 2011 (1 order with Tower Hobbies going to address 2)
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:51 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
This is basically why paypal exists.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:22 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerorotor View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to warn you about Tower Hobbies. I logged in and updated my shipping information on my account. I placed my order thinking everything was all taken care of. I received a shipping notice and confirmation and checked my tracking. I wondered why UPS was saying my package was going to the wrong city. I logged into Tower Hobbies website and found out my package was in fact going to be delivered to my old address of about 3.5 years ago. I have since moved 2x prior to living at that address. So I checked my order history with Tower Hobbies. The only orders I had placed in 2007 and 2008 from an address that is even earlier than the one where my package is going to. There is no way that Tower Hobbies should have the address that the package is now being sent to since I have never placed orders from that address.

To make sure I didn't make some weird mistake because of auto fill. I installed a firefox plugin called form history. I did a search and it shows no records of that address in my browsers history. In addition, I had installed vista on this pc after moving from that address and at my now current address I have windows 7 installed, thus wiping out all possible traces of that old address.

I decided to log back into Tower Hobbies and on my account it shows my mailing address as my 3 moves ago address. My billing address was my current address. I decided to change that information on my account to the correct ship to address and after saving the information it places my current address in both address 1 and address 2 boxes for the ship to address. My bill to address has the my address 1 box blank and the address 2 box has my current address.

Finally I decided to do a fake order to make sure that all the information is correct. When I get to the part for entering credit card information my shipping address is now correct but the bill to address is my old address of 4 moves ago, the address which I had originally made orders from in 2007 and 2008.

So my thoughts are that UPS has a database that all merchants can address and can get all past history of where you lived or whatever company that does the credit card processing for tower hobbies is a company that I used before from another merchant and is some how screwing up and putting old data into tower hobbies database. The bottom line is that your data is not secure with Tower Hobbies, their credit card processing company or UPS.

Address 1 2007 to 2008 (4 orders placed with Tower Hobbies)
Address 2 2008 (0 orders)
Address 3 2008 to 2009 (0 orders)
Address 4 2009 to 2011 (1 order with Tower Hobbies going to address 2)
Thanks for sharing

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:40 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
I had an issue with their shipping about 3 years ago and vowed never to use them again, and haven't! Not one cent of the significant amount of $ I have spent on RC in the past 3 years has gone to them. When I search for an item online and I get a hit from them, I keep searching. I have always found the item I needed from other sources and as far as I can remember, its always been cheaper anyway.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
I just got off the phone with them and they tried to blame it on me. They wanted me to pay $25 to get my package on route to my current address. Then I showed the supervisor that all my data on their site is correct but when I add something to my cart and get to the payment it shows my original address on my bill to address and my correct address on my ship to address.

They are asking their data department to investigate. The sad thing is, up until yesterday you could have beat me with bat for days, shot me up with sodium pentathol and I would not have been able to give you that old address. I stayed at that address for less than 6 months. Again I have gone through my auto complete data in my old computer and it does not show that address in it. I have also replaced my OS in that PC 3x. Originally it had xp media center, then vista and now windows 7. There is no way that data could have been a remnant on that PC.

So I contacted UPS and they claim there is no database that they allow their customers to access to help process orders. The only companies that I placed orders with at the time I lived at that address would be heli-direct and x-heli. So my best guess would be they share the same merchant account and the data is being mixed when tower hobbies accesses their merchants database. Now if I was a hacker the implications mean that I could get a persons previous addresses and use that information to help get a false line of credit.

TimeCop I have had my own set of problems with Paypal, customer service, dispute resolutions, etc. If I can avoid using paypal I will. If I have to use them I use a credit card and will not let them touch my bank. If this is happening on Towerhobbies website I'm sure they could find a way to screw up paypal as well.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:26 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,810 Posts
hmm... we buy from Tower Hobbies almost every week and have done so for the last 5 years. Never an issue yet.

Their no questions asked return policy is excellent also.

Hope you get your issue resolved.
Photoship One is online now Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
They want me to pay $25 to get the package redirected to the right address. They said that there is no way their system put in the data. They refuse to fix the problem which I showed them and they acknowledge there is a problem. I'm going to dispute the charge and let them worry about where the package went.

When I used to do RC cars I placed probably over $6k in purchases through this company. Since switching to helis I haven't been using them as much. They just lost a loyal customer.

Photoship one. Try going into your account and changing your shipping address then put an item in your cart and proceed to check out and look at your address and see that it does not update at the cart and you have to change your address in the cart in order to get your package. The crazy thing is I haven't a clue how they got that old address when I have never placed or even contemplating placing an order with them when I moved to that address.

Another funny quirk is that when I empty the cart and go back out and add another item then go to check out it places a "," in my bill to address replacing my bill to address with one from very first address. In addition, their system did not even bother to do a credit card verification with billing address. The supervisor admitted that they do not do it if it is below a certain threshold. My order was for $62.97. So the sad thing is someone could go to a wifi hotspot, change their bill to address to say their neighbors. Ship an item valued around $63 to that neighbor and wait for the neighbor to bring over the package and then just dispute the charge as illegal. Since the package could be argued as unsolicited it would be free to keep.
http://www.consumersavvytips.org/did..._the_mail.html

What a bunch of dummies. The system is automated. What does it cost them to have their computer run a check on every item purchased online?

They refuse to fix the problem and now this information is out there, a lot of kiddies are going to have fun with this one. If there really is a security flaw my biggest worry is some guy just bought a ferrari with my name on the registration and the loan...
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old thread but I am having a similar problem with Tower. I moved out of state recently. Logged into Tower, changed my address and then placed an order. To the best of my memory I confirmed on the order page before clicking submit that the new address was updated. Regardless though, I know I changed the address in my profile before submitting the order. Two days go by and the package shows up at the old address. So I call Tower up today, expecting the CSR to take care of it. Tower's only response is that they are sending UPS out to the old address to try to retrieve the package. I asked the supervisor when they will ship out a replacement. She would not say. I asked her what happens if UPS can not retrieve the package. She would not say. Only thing she said was for me to call back in a week and see what the status is and they would determine the next steps then. Horrible customer service.

Tower could have done a couple simple things to prevent this. One, require signature confirmation on this package. Two, if the shipping address is different than that on file with the credit card, contact the customer first before sending out the package. I pointed this out to the CSR and she said they send packages out all the time to addresses not listed with the customer's credit card. Apparently they do not understand why 99% of other companies enforce this rule.

Question is, at some point if they do not resolve this and I file a dispute with my CC company, how likely am I to win this? I would assume Tower shipping an order out to an address no longer on file with the CC company would be enough for the CC company to side with me, correct? Any tips?

BTW, I added up my Tower only purchase over the last 5 years. Totaled over 5 grand. That is just what Tower lists on there site from 2007 forward. Easily spent another 5 - 10 grand at Tower from the late 90's through 2006. Of course none of that is counting the thousands I have spent on Hobbico brands through other shops. Also, never have returned one thing to Tower. If I owned a company I would be bending over backwards trying to keep a customer such as myself.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra