SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,881 Posts
Discussion
Pattern Video - must watch ;)

Two guys JUST starting in Pattern. At least we're having fun. Poor Dave will never get it with me calling for him.

Video of Dave flying Sportsman, Vinnie Calling and J-Man video taping

Enjoy,
Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
658 Posts
Glad to see you guys having so much fun. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our sport and the technical details we forget we are supposed to be having FUN!!! Great video

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
reminds me of every time I try and fly the sequence.

Also, everytime I've had a experienced pattern guy critique me I hear "your flying too close" a lot too. Flying far away so the plane is difficult to see must improve ones score.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Highly entertaining video. Nice job. I think I might have to start learning this pattern stuff.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:54 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Wavre
Joined Dec 2006
11 Posts
nice! i'm starting with f3a partern too. "I believe i 'll can fly" like you
Arno0 is offline Find More Posts by Arno0
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined May 2008
258 Posts
Couldn't really see much of the video with slow connection at work, but it's great to see people having fun and learning pattern!

Quote:
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our sport and the technical details we forget we are supposed to be having FUN!!!
LOL this is true. I'm learning new sequence this year, and don't think I've ever hung my head lower after getting critiqued this past weekend. What's even funnier is my motor quit on my second maneuver! I'm a mess, but needed to hear this to have more fun being a mess =)

Quote:
reminds me of every time I try and fly the sequence.

Also, everytime I've had a experienced pattern guy critique me I hear "your flying too close" a lot too. Flying far away so the plane is difficult to see must improve ones score.
Those guys are such a pain - they tell me I'm flying too far, so I bring it in, then they tell me I'm flying too close. What gives?? haha =D

So original poster(s) are in D1 - really great group of guys, I miss flying with them. Make sure to get out to a few contests before the year is over! I started flying pattern my first year in RC, drove 4 hours and flew a Phoenix Dolphin at my first contest. I showed up and didn't even know what a pattern flight flight should look like. I rolled in with my out-of-state plates and was greeted immediately, shown what a pattern plane looks like, what a pattern flight looks like, and was given a tremendous amount of support and encouragement. And had lots of fun! Best part is that it's not limited to D1 - showed up at my first D4 event and was again greeted and now have pattern guys at my local field that help me any time I show up. Really great community.
gaRCfield is offline Find More Posts by gaRCfield
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:53 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Good to know there is a good pattern group out there. Ive only been flying for a few months and only own a few ultra micros. I've started learning some of the maneuvers with one of those to at least learn the stick movements and someday, maybe next year I'll really dive into the whole pattern thing. It's definetly fun to learn new stuff.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:25 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,881 Posts
We have a great local mentor and group of guys who are excellent flyers. Ken Velez has come in first place in the NATS - Masters Class and is now flying FAI. I told him it's too intimidating to follow him after he shows how perfect he can fly. The FAI manuevers he does perfectly as well. He has great patience and loves to help people, including showing how to build and setup a Pattern plane. I may post a long interview I recorded when he put on a contest in Canandaigua. He talks about plane setup - after flying an old Pattern plane of mine. It flew easy, but didn't have the vertical needed to compete well - so you have to fly it too fast which makes competing more difficult.

The distance is key - too close and the "box" is too small. Too far and it's hard to see.

I did mention that he should pick someone who is a novice to show newbies the manueuvers so most of us can see that we could do at least as well. Dave and I decided to practice on our own, and have a long way to go before we compete. It would be fun to try next summer.

I am very impressed with the Local Pattern flyers. You can tell from watching them fly any plane that they are Pattern flyers. One guy flys a Turbine Mig (Scott Miller) - and he flys it so elegantly you would think it's easy to fly. Making it look easy take alot of work. Some of the old timers did learn pattern and you can see it in their flying.

It will smooth out anyone's flying.

Oh - and those guys that take flying too seriously - really piss me off. I fly with guys who are out to have fun and love to continuously learn and teach. Those willing to teach - are welcome as long as they know what their talking about. You can't know everything in this hobby, but be careful who you learn from. There are many guys excited to teach you what they know, and willing to cost you a plane in doing so.

Vinnie
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah this hobby is all about just having a good time to me. Ive been flying since may and I can't get enough of it. Having ultra micros is what sucked me in since I can fly just about anywhere. I have a UMX beast and I think for the heck of it I'm going to print out the pattern sequence and take it with me next time to the park. It's not a pattern plane but that purchase is sometime down the line. In my eyes it doesn't hurt to start learning how to fly it with my micro since the stick movements shouldn't really change for the maneuvers themselves. I watched the video again and you guys were having a blast.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,881 Posts
The Pattern info I found the most useful is:
http://nsrca.us/documents/judging/cu...rtsman2007.pdf

It is from 2007 so not recent and you have to expect the latest list of manuevers in a competition to be different. BUT it shows how to perform the manuevers via a graphic.

Here is a decent video showing how to fly it properly:
Pattern Manuevers Labeled, Sportsman Class, Goshen NY (5 min 13 sec)

Vinnie
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
520 Posts
JustGoFly,
Thanks for the PDF and the video. I've been looking into getting into pattern flying for next summer and those really helped me to understand how to fly a sequence and what the judges are looking for. I probably won't compete because I live in the middle of nowhere, but I think that practising a sequence will only help to improve my overall flying skills.

This winter I'm planning on scratch building a 65% kaos. A fellow club member has the .40 sized one from tower hobbies and I really like the way it looks and flies (I'm kind of a sucker for retro looking things).

Thanks,
Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined May 2004
1,881 Posts
Heath - you and I are the same in our likes. First you chose a real pattern plane which will make you more successful. I love retro/classic planes and have some very old pattern. My NEWEST one is a Chip Hyde- HydeOut. The Boxer I have runs great and makes the maneuvers simple, one was a 20+ year old Avanti II, which was heavy but very precise. It then becomes a matter of practice and understanding some things that only the Pattern guys can teach you.

2 meter planes are what most use in competition. They are also easier to see and just sooooo smooth to fly.

Find a mentor - they will make it easier. Can you imagine wanting to learn to fly R/C and thinking that asking for help from a R/C flyer would be a problem to them ? That is the same with the Pattern guys - they all want to help you.

On the last video I posted, note the manuever they make after take off. Take off is close to the landing strip, but you want to fly a fair ways out, so they turn, then climb and do a Split S to get at the desired altitude and align for the first pass.

At the end on the video they do the last manuever, then turns towards the flight line to do a free flyby down wind. Then turns in for a landing. Being at the right place is part of doing it well.

More important - HAVE FUN !

Vinnie
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:53 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
520 Posts
Vinnie,
I agree that bigger flies better, but bigger doesn't fit very well in my house I don't feel like pushing it with the missus, I already have a room full of planes Once we get a house with a garage and workshop, I'll go bigger. Plus, I think I can put together a fairly inexpensive electric pattern plane to learn and practice with. I have a young family, so to enjoy R/C I gotta keep the costs down

I really live in the middle of nowhere. Only one guy in our club has done any pattern flying, and he only did a few contests way back when. He told me he only entered in the sportsman class with his .40 trainer. Looking at the NSRCA website, most of the contests are in California or Arizona, and that's quite a drive for me at the moment. I'll have to ask around here, and maybe ask some of the guys in the flying clubs in Salt Lake if they know any body knowledgeable in pattern flying.

I appreciate the tips on the take off and landing, again I think mastering those techniques will help me refine my flying ability, rather than taking off a plane and then randomly flipping it around in the air. Our airfield is usually deserted, so I'll have plenty of time to practice w/o worrying about getting in the way of other flyers.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is online now Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:32 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs View Post
Vinnie,
I'll have to ask around here, and maybe ask some of the guys in the flying clubs in Salt Lake if they know any body knowledgeable in pattern flying.

-Heath
Heath, "you know not what you say" -- you've got the 2010 US National Champion and 2011 3rd place in the *world* in your back yard. Andrew Jesky is in the Salt Lake area...

Check out http://store.higherplaneproductions.com/ and grab Vol 3 of the "AJ takes RC to a HigherPlane" series, "Precision Flight".

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:35 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Oh, and if you are looking for a good pattern plane that's not so large + expensive the missus/CFO will say no before you can ask, look no further than the 3DHobbyShop Osiris, I have the 62" and I can honestly say I've never flown a better plane. I got home after the maiden, looked at the 15 other planes in my garage and put them up for sale, I just couldn't imagine flying them after flying the Osiris (I did keep 2 EDFs for the sheer adrenaline of flying them). There's also a 47" Osiris, haven't flown it, but by all reports it flies as nicely as the 62".

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel