HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,444 Posts
Help!
Stobel RDS failure and repair

My new V3 has a bad RDS. Not the pocket, but something is slipping in the shaft. Not sure if it is slipping at the front end, or the back end.
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like?
What is the best way to get at it to fix it?
Not looking forward to hacking into a 6 week old $1000 airframe to repair something I didn't break

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Likely the coupling has slipped off the spline. This happened to Nick's. I fixed it by cutting a little window through the bottom skin, packing the coupling with goop, and shoving it back on the spline. Test it before you close up the window. If you save the piece and glue it back on you will not even see it. I may have posted this in the Stobel V3 thread if you look back a ways.

I also helped Reto do the same thing on his Salpeter. This time he drilled a hole through the coupling and we dripped very carefully small drops of CA into the coupling/spline joint. You have to be very careful not to get CA near the case or it will wick into the geartrain and solidify. A much nastier repair.

All these planes are pushing the stress and space requirements. It is not uncommon to have to fix the RDS. I had to replace a whole servo in a Twister wing and it was not all that bad.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
My new V3 has a bad RDS. Not the pocket, but something is slipping in the shaft. Not sure if it is slipping at the front end, or the back end.
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like?
What is the best way to get at it to fix it?
Not looking forward to hacking into a 6 week old $1000 airframe to repair something I didn't break

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=90

This is the only inside look I know of. I used this info with much success to repair my wing when the servo went bad.

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Pat,

Look in the Stobel V3 thread and look for pictures by Jun. He shows in detail how to open the wing and repair the couple if that is what had come loose. Others have had a sevo come debonded I have heard, can be fixed the same way.

With a little care and patience it can be fixed and you will be hard pressed to see it and no impact on performance.

Edit. If I had given Dick another minute I could have saved some typing......
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=490
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,311 Posts
An easier way to repair is to split the leading edge. That way you can pop the servo off its glue and pull both the servo and the RDS system out of the wing. After getting the RDS coupler re-attached to the servo you can slip the whole assembly back into the wing and glue it back down in the exact same location that it was before. I have done this after being told about the procedure by proppy jon. It is scary but it works and it is much easier to glue the RDS coupler back on the servo when all parts are outside of the wing.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,444 Posts
Thanks guys,

So the tubular coupler is just glued to the spline?

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Jul 13, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Same thing happen to my new V2, use the method Charlie described and you will never be able to tell. Mine has been work great. Thanks "Proppyjon".
Donnie
Also I use Black rubberized CA on the RDS and to glue the leading edge back.
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,102 Posts
The next time my servos fail in these molded planes- I'll try Proppy John/Charlie's method.

RANT: I really don't see why the manufacturers can't mold a servo pocket in these wings! For a thousand + bucks, these planes should assemble and fly themselves!

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
Tom Knudtson
Redlands, CA
Joined Aug 2004
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Thanks guys,

So the tubular coupler is just glued to the spline?

Pat MacKenzie
Yes. The torque tube to servo connector appears to be be just a short piece of Al tube. The Al tube fits over the servo splines. IIRC it appeared to be epoxy in the Al tube.

Here are two pics of the torque tube.

I have made two aileron mechanism repairs. One was due to failed bond between the Al tube coupler and and servo splines. Using a strategy proposed by Thomas Cooke, I was able to split the leading edge and re-glue the coupler to the spline. The other one failed because the top to the servo case cracked and the servo had to be replaced using the Jun's "surgical procedure". (I only had to replace the top of the servo case, so the wiring stayed intact.)
TomK is online now Find More Posts by TomK
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:25 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,189 Posts
Twister Repair

On my Twister, the steel wiper was slipping inside the CF Shaft and here is the easy repair I used:

Post my Maurice : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=349

Mine has held up since the fix,

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:37 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,044 Posts
Is this problem related to the fact that the RDS shaft uses Aluminum and carbon together? I thought I recall that Gerald said that there can be some corrosion and failure is guaranteed in this instance when glued together. Something about a galvanic response. I do not know but it was some chemical related issue.

would it be better to drive a pin through the shaft and aluminum coupler to attach instead of using glue?

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:40 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,315 Posts
I think its the coupler slipping off the spline itself that is the common issue, not the Al/Carbon bond.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post

RANT: I really don't see why the manufacturers can't mold a servo pocket in these wings! For a thousand + bucks, these planes should assemble and fly themselves!

Jun
Even if I could afford a couple of these beauties this would scare me. Jun, has a valid point. My brothers new fly rod was about $500 and has a life time warranty...LOL, LOL

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
The next time my servos fail in these molded planes- I'll try Proppy John/Charlie's method.

Jun
You have that opinion because you have never developed and built your own planes. $1000.00 is cheap. If it wasn't, more people would be getting rich building them, rather than lining up to buy them.

Shoot, no one is even willing to try to make their living doing it in the US.

Sorry, rant off and flame on.
djklein21 is online now Find More Posts by djklein21