HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:46 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Thanks... Its not much right now. I was able to cut out and shape the rudder and stabilizer. Its been very slow-going needless to say. Lots of irons in the fire so-to-speak. I've needed to get glasses which will help with some of my detail work as I am far-sighted. Most computer work has been difficult.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:19 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Nah... been having a crazy work schedule. From last tuesday to last friday I only slept 9 hours. Odd this week as well and have other projects that are oing on as well.
you still building this bird?

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Unfortunately not right now. I am endeavoring into a slight kitchen re-model. I cleaned up my shop though. so I should have room to work on it as soon as I can. I really have not other hobby projects so as I get time it will come along. Thanks for watching though.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:13 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Ok, I have an update. I was able to spend some time today to lay out a plan for the fuselage. This part has many sub-determinations. I thought of doing a solid foam fuse carved but that would be 1: expensive and 2: not as exact as I would like. So, I decided to use foam formers and cover with depron like the way Sparks made his P-40. I had to plan the box construction. I sized up the cross section pieces based on the printout of the sideview I have. No plans... all scratch here.

After I got all those printed it was time to figure out a couple things... the Bomb Bay size and the main box former for the fuselage. The bomb bay will be 2" deep and about 10" long. Plenty for a few 500 pounders. The box will be simple. 2" by 2.25" for 3/4 of the fuselage length. This will easily allow me to fit a 4S battery all the way up to the firewall and have plenty of room for my servos etc. So then I drew the lines to be cut for the box in the fuse cross sections since I wanted it to be centered on the thrust line.

Still working on the flaps. Trust me... it will be worth the wait.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 07:40 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Ok, so I first cut all the cardstock printouts. I used 110# weight because it was scrap and because of the thickness it helps to be used as a guide when cutting the foam with the razor. The cardstock was applied to the foam board with Super 77... DO NOT remove the paper backing before this. It will melt the foam... and you will never get the cardstock off. When my tube was done drying I measured and made lines for placement of the formers. Peel all the paper backing off the formers and place them all roughly in position on the tube. Glue the tube and set the formers up to dry.

I was just amazed at how strong this stuff is once you start building with it. Freakish almost and more resilient than balsa. I have a target weight of the fuselage at 12 ounces. The point end of the tail will be done in solid pink foam for a couple reasons... 1: its easy 2: I need it to be very strong to suppot the tail wheel, H-stab, and rudder. Doing it in multiple pieces just makes it more complicated than it has to be. I'm not too concerned about weight difference because I already have plenty of weight saved in the tail control surfaces.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
SAO PAULO,S.P.,BRAZIL
Joined Dec 2000
543 Posts
Thatīs exactly what I wannna builkd after my XB-42. Congrats!!
CESARNOGUEIRA is offline Find More Posts by CESARNOGUEIRA
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Thank you cesar! The fuse was put off because... I wanted to make progress on the flaps. Basically I took a picture of a scale flap and traced each and every hole. This was done in Adobe illustrator and then exported in DXF format to be cut by a die cutter. I cut each piece twice since I am limited in size. Each cut was done different so when I made two layers of each part the seams would be different. This is just 110# cardstock. Once all the flap pieces are complete they will be slathered in epoxy resin and vacuum bagged. They should come out stiffer than a hot... canoli! I am sure I will have to do some detail work as the resin will seep into the holes but work worth doing for such great detail.

These are the dive flaps BTW. Two layers glued with Super 77 spray.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
very nice quite detailed what will you use for the hinges? I can't wait to see you apply them to the wing with servos.

Bruce
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:09 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Current plan is to use old floppy disk material. Since the hinge point will be nearly to the edge and top/bottom of the wing any sort of mechanical hinging will probably be too thick and not position the flap well or hing in an un-scale manner. Its one of those trade-offs with building scale but smaller than say... 1/4 scale. Those kinds of things add up fast in weight too.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
No pictures tonight but I did prep the mylars and put the top flap parts in epoxy tonight. They were placed in a vacuum bag (spacebag) and I'll leave it there probably all week. Since its cold I want it to have plenty of time to cure. Sorry... no heated garage for me.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
No pictures tonight but I did prep the mylars and put the top flap parts in epoxy tonight. They were placed in a vacuum bag (spacebag) and I'll leave it there probably all week. Since its cold I want it to have plenty of time to cure. Sorry... no heated garage for me.
why not bring it in the house to cure? by a heat vent

Bruce
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:26 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Need a super flat surface... one that will not be disturbed by children! If it were a wing I totally would be bringing it inside. I've never tried this before and I am not sure how rigid they will be once cured. I want to make sure they are as flat as humanly possible.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:45 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Need a super flat surface... one that will not be disturbed by children! If it were a wing I totally would be bringing it inside. I've never tried this before and I am not sure how rigid they will be once cured. I want to make sure they are as flat as humanly possible.
Do you have a space heater that wont break the bank to run? just a thought I hate waiting as you know

Bruce
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:55 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
With work starting up this week I'm not pressed for time.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Well, I pulled the flaps out last night. It looks great! Perfectly flat suface and even too! I'll now need to go through and cut the flaps apart, then ream out all the holes... fun stuff for a scale feature.