Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Build Log
Medicine Man - 142" RES 'Woodie'

Well I feel quite bad about this one!

I had a Graupner Mini-Nimbus on the building board but I'm not quite in the right mood to carry on with it at the moment, temporarily stored!

You know when something keeps calling you?!! Don't know how long it's going to take but I'm having fun chopping big pieces of wood up.

I'll post a description, a story and some piccies next.

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
What's a 'Medicine Man' then?

Right then.

The Medicine Man dates from March 1983, it was featured in the June 1984 RCM&E magazine. Plan is still available from myhobbystores.com (RC 1475).

It was designed by Roger Pullen and is effectively a stretched version of his 'Chieftain' 100S glider.

Both gliders feature a three-piece wing (built-up sheeted centre section, built-up open structure tips), all-moving stab and a sheet box fuselage. The Chieftain has a low-set stab where the Medicine Man has a high-set stab. The MM has home-made airbrakes.

I must have had the magazine kicking about and it caught my eye enough to start building one in the late 1990s. I built the fuselage and centre wing panel but the fuse fell into the water tank in my loft and was scrapped, I later threw the wing out as well, doh!

Years later I travelled to a modeller's house to buy some stuff, I didn't realise till I got there that it was Roger Pullen who was selling up. We had a chat about the Medicine Man and he gave me an original plan.

I bought his Chieftain and didn't initially get on with it but recently I have discovered how immensely strong it is and a good flyer too.

So...Time to build another Medicine Man!

GB
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Making a start

Have made a good start on the fuselage, it's just sheet sides but they are long and have to be joined, very similar construction to the Chris Foss Multi-Phase.

The plan gives all wood sizes in millimetres, which was a trend at the time, problem is that wood was supplied in metric and imperial sizes and I have both in my stock. The differences are small (3/16" is 4.8 mm, metric equivalent is 5 mm) but it is enough to cause annoying steps, 1/4" is the worst at 6.4 mm instead of 6.

The sheet sides have virtually straight lines so they can be marked out and cut with a steel ruler, there's just one small curve below and behind the wing.

Only three formers to cut out, the main one (F2) is to be made from two laminations of 3 mm ply, I had a piece of 1/4" ply so I saved myself some laminating!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Nice looking model!

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:28 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Superb !!! - I know nothing of this bird so please lead on with info and pics.

Airfoil?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:34 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
318 Posts
GB,

Tried your link...no go, can you post one that works?

Thanks,
Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:25 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Ooops! Well I didn't link it and got the URL wrong, I assume you mean the plan Rich? Here it is.

The section is Eppler 205 according to the plan. Roger built two prototypes and they both weighed just over 5 lb, wing area is 8 sq ft with a loading of 10 oz/sq ft. Described by him as 'not a floater'!

There are some nice designs from this era and for some reason I'm trying to build them all!

I'm a bit stuck for materials now as I hadn't planned to start building this at all, I need an extra long snake or Bowden cable for the stab drive before I can join the fuselage sides.

Some more piccies.

GB
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:47 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
318 Posts
Thanks GB, she looks like one of the planes I'll have to put in the line up. will follow you build closely.

Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
There's nothing particularly complicated about the build, as Roger says 'there's just a lot of it!'

I do remember that making the airbrakes was quite 'fiddly', I am thinking of using commercial units (Graupner 250 mm) but they will make a heavy machine even heavier! I'll see how I feel when I get to that stage.

The other thing that concerned me was making the tapered outer wing panel ribs in a sandwich pack. I've done it now with another model and don't know what I was worried about!!

I got round the snake problem and I've just joined the fuselage halves at the main former, more words and piccies later.

GB
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
That's an interresting lash up where the fin meet's the fuse, and obviously it work's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Yes, it is interesting, everyone does it differently. The fin sides get covered with 1/32" balsa sheet to hide the spruce, it's a 'cosmetic' option. More piccies coming that show the deliberate step between the fuse sides and the fin pieces.

I'm a bit behind with piccies, must upload some in a bit.

GB
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Onwards and upwards!

Time to glue the rear fuselage sides together.

There's a slight mystery as to the top view of the fuselage as it's not given on the plan. Looking at the magazine photos it's pretty thin at the rear end so I glued the longerons together as far forward as the front of the fin strake.

I cut out a wing seat from ply to help with that area, impatiently waiting for the glue to dry so that I can lift it from the jig. It will have to go back in for the rear top and bottom sheeting to be added as it can still be adjusted from side to side.

I'll make some more ply pieces while I'm waiting.

GB
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
A bit more progress.

Joined the fin sides, added the fin leading edge and forward lower sheeting, it's 'solid' already!!

I'm tempted to pull the rear sides in even more, it does look quite thin in the photos.

Won't be able to do much till next Thursday now due to work, daughter's university graduation and full-size aeroplane licence revalidation test (they should do that for some car drivers!!).

Cheers

GB
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
Are you sure those clamp's are big enough?LOL
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member