Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by splinterz25, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,139 Posts
Build Log
stinson reliant sr-9

orderd the fabric from balsa usa today it will be about 3-4 days until I get the white solartex I hope it is as nice to work with as I've herd I'll post when I start to cover.
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:41 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,657 Posts
You will NEVER regret working with solartex. It is wonderful stuff and quite forgiving on corners and tight spots.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
You will NEVER regret working with solartex. It is wonderful stuff and quite forgiving on corners and tight spots.
do the overlaps blend well? I've seen some pictures on a thread and it wasen't very smooth, it may have been the craftmanship or inexperance thay also had alot of frayed edges and bumps;but I don't know if it was solartex or a nother brand of fabric. I've just never used fabric so it will be a challange but that's what I like.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,657 Posts
I've repaired my wings on the Tummelisa and the seams are very hard to tell. You really have to look close to see it. The edges do not fray like you would think but keep in mind while it is a "fabric" its all synthetic material. Between you and me... I used my teflon coated black and decker iron with no steam to cover the Tummelisa. No sock. I'm too cheap to by a hobby iron.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,657 Posts
Went and grabbed a few shots of the covering repairs after some minor surgery. These are all post-crash mind you. I took them not 5 minutes ago.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,139 Posts
very cool that gives me alot of hope on doing a good job; how hot did you get your iron? hotter than when you do mono kote? and I gess you don't have to worry about melting a hole w/ the heat gun?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:59 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,657 Posts
hehe... my iron will get hot enough to completely melt it. I just started off low with a piece of scrap and cranked it up until I got a nice temp.