HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
309 Posts
Discussion
BlitzRCWorks Contra 4 CH Helicopter Problems

My friend and I each bought a

4 CH 2.4GHz BlitzRCWorks Golden Contra Flybarless Radio Remote Control Electric RC Helicopter RTF

from Banana Hobbies about 6 weeks ago. His tail rotor motor went up in smoke within 30 days and he was able to RMA the whole thing back. My tail rotor motor just fried this morning. Seems like there may be some kind of defect with these motors. Due to both of us being new to 4 channel machines, they both had minimal flying time on them. I'd guess the batteries were recharged less then 10 times.

Is it too much to expect these motors to last longer than this?
oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2011
309 Posts
I managed to get my tail rotor motor working again. The problem was a cold solder joint on the motor. Resoldering it has it back in action. So call it a manufacturing defect, nothing Banana had control of.

A few observations on these Contras. They are very delicate compared to my Double Horse 9104. The brittle plastic tri blade tail rotors are bad news. They break with minimal contact with anything. A poor design if you ask me. Should have been a beefier and a rubberized plastic. And the fine teeth on the main gear self destruct if the main blades are stopped due to a crash or abrupt stop of any sort. But maybe that's the nature of teeth that fine, I don't know.

Yeah, if you don't crash and run into things, these items aren't an issue. But I can say my 1/2 the price DH9104 takes a lot more punishment and doesn't break or self destruct.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I was looking at getting one of these. would you recommend it? how well does it fly?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
309 Posts
For a beginner, I would say no for the reasons I mentioned above. You are going to destroy a lot of main gears and tail rotors in the crash & learn process. It dawned on me why the main gears self destruct. They are very small in diameter. Which puts a lot of force on them. Every other chopper I own has a much larger main gear. I bought a Esky Honey Bee v2 and am progressing much faster. The Honey Bee has it's own issues, like fairly delicate rotor parts, but over all it's a better learning machine. I think once you can fly a 4 channel well, the Contra would be a good machine.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Hi, quick question. The same helicopter's tail rotor chipped off. but how to i remove the old one and replace a new one. I really need help. Thank you
sun9612 is offline Find More Posts by sun9612
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun9612
Hi, i had the same helicopter as you for couple of weeks and i noticed the damage of the tail rotor, one of the propeller was chipped. I'm waiting for it restock again. However i have no idea to remove the old one and replace a new one. I really need help. Thank you.

-Sun
Hi Sun. I'm no expert but this is how I did it. First break off all the remaining blades. Then with a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel, cut a slit in the remaining plastic hub parallel to the metal shaft, but be careful not to cut the shaft. Then with pliers, pull off the remaining hub from the shaft. If you do the slit right, you can break up the hub with the pliers to make it easier to pull off. Be carefull not to bend the shaft. To install the new rotor, just press it on carefully. I use a large set of pliers that fit over the blades. That's it!
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hi oldsneakers, please email me your order number so I may help you, bailey@bananahobby.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers View Post
My friend and I each bought a

4 CH 2.4GHz BlitzRCWorks Golden Contra Flybarless Radio Remote Control Electric RC Helicopter RTF

from Banana Hobbies about 6 weeks ago. His tail rotor motor went up in smoke within 30 days and he was able to RMA the whole thing back. My tail rotor motor just fried this morning. Seems like there may be some kind of defect with these motors. Due to both of us being new to 4 channel machines, they both had minimal flying time on them. I'd guess the batteries were recharged less then 10 times.

Is it too much to expect these motors to last longer than this?
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
just bought a golden contra blitz rc 4 channel helicopter. i broke one of the tail rotor blades off and have no idea how to replace it. cane anybody help
tgjett71 is offline Find More Posts by tgjett71
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
blitz works contra

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers View Post
I managed to get my tail rotor motor working again. The problem was a cold solder joint on the motor. Resoldering it has it back in action. So call it a manufacturing defect, nothing Banana had control of.

A few observations on these Contras. They are very delicate compared to my Double Horse 9104. The brittle plastic tri blade tail rotors are bad news. They break with minimal contact with anything. A poor design if you ask me. Should have been a beefier and a rubberized plastic. And the fine teeth on the main gear self destruct if the main blades are stopped due to a crash or abrupt stop of any sort. But maybe that's the nature of teeth that fine, I don't know.

Yeah, if you don't crash and run into things, these items aren't an issue. But I can say my 1/2 the price DH9104 takes a lot more punishment and doesn't break or self destruct.
hello ,i have one contra,went thru 1 main gear and 2 tail rotors,i have not hovered yet,will try 2 day no wind,Can you give me what your settings are in the reciever,RX2440v 4 setting?TYS VNV 70 71
VNV 70 71 is offline Find More Posts by VNV 70 71
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Not easy to fly. Viewing other posts re. this machine, similar problems show up. Brittle tail rotors and main blades, tail rotor removal (the Dremel trick works well), main gear too soft, and now a servo out. Going elsewhere for better design/quality.
kayaksach is offline Find More Posts by kayaksach
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:48 AM
United States, MI, Parma
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Golden Contra

Had same problems with tail rotor blades, very easily broken, not as easily removed and replaced.
B52G is offline Find More Posts by B52G
Old May 28, 2012, 04:54 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
I must have the luck of the Canuck with me. Ordered item from BananaHobby and received it within 8 days on East Coast (includes Canada Customs).

Had one of my buddies check it out and test it. He found one of the wires came close to one of the arms to the head rotor - we just used a small screwdriver and moved it out of the way. There was a wobble he tried to hover it but I had read in 1-2 forums about an aileron Gyro issue (so I clocked it down 1 hour) and problem was solved.

Was able to hover it (no wind) semi decently after 30 minutes (I did quite a bit of sim first). Make sure you have wide open spaces - parking lot or low cut grass). I did use the ping pong ball attachments for better stabilization and I did get a crack in the base of the training landing gear but was easily able to glue it

Overall - for the price - verry happy and ideal camping hobby

Tks BananaHobby
Canuck4ever is online now Find More Posts by Canuck4ever
Last edited by Canuck4ever; May 28, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Editorial
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
blitz work contra

I have also had trouble with tail rotor blades but a new problem happen yesterday night. I went to fly my contra to relax lol. it does relax me. I did the usual setup to get things configured. The heli setup up fine and on spool up the main motor did not seem to get to speed. I had a fully charge battery in trans and heli. I put other battery into heli and tried again. This time there was no throttle response to main motor and tail motor would only work with the rudder to the right. I did try another trans to see if that was proble but still no dice. Can the reciever fail that way and that quickly. I had flewn just to nights before and had great fun. Has anyone had this trouble and if so how did u fix it. I did check Bh for new receiver but of course they are out of stock. Anybody now where to get these????? Love flying this heli great fun but sucks when it breaks down
morety324 is offline Find More Posts by morety324
Old Jul 08, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morety324 View Post
I have also had trouble with tail rotor blades but a new problem happen yesterday night. I went to fly my contra to relax lol. it does relax me. I did the usual setup to get things configured. The heli setup up fine and on spool up the main motor did not seem to get to speed. I had a fully charge battery in trans and heli. I put other battery into heli and tried again. This time there was no throttle response to main motor and tail motor would only work with the rudder to the right. I did try another trans to see if that was proble but still no dice. Can the reciever fail that way and that quickly. I had flewn just to nights before and had great fun. Has anyone had this trouble and if so how did u fix it. I did check Bh for new receiver but of course they are out of stock. Anybody now where to get these????? Love flying this heli great fun but sucks when it breaks down
morety324. You might want to try to check the main gears and see if they're stripped or not. If the gears still looks good and isn't missing any of its teeth, check to see if the main gear is making contact with the motor, but it's usually the stripped gears will cause that kind of reaction. The rudder going in one way was due to no motor response. The motor was suppose to even it out.
DeSong is offline Find More Posts by DeSong
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
Westport, MA
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
The main gear does not hold up too long. Wish they would have a gear made of a light metal that would not strip so easy.
usmc vma 211 is offline Find More Posts by usmc vma 211