HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Build Log
FPV/UAV/AP tricopter build log [Changed from "Got the stuff... I went all out"]

-$260 for GoPro HD
-$140 for Video RxTx LawMate and 3S power cable.
-$190 for Tricopter parts (3x DT750 motors, 11x4.7 props, 3x 30A plush ESC, wires etc)
-$256.75 for 3x 3S 3300mAh nano-techs and an iCharger 3010b and 3x LP-Guard LiPo bags
-$450 for servocity servos with metal gears. Pan and tilt.
-$85 for Castle Creations 2x 10A switching BEC and Castle Creations programmer

As you can see, I went all out. Thanks for the help everyone. I changed this thread into a build log for my setup.
slisgrinder is offline Find More Posts by slisgrinder
Last edited by slisgrinder; Jul 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
People probably get sick of hearing this, but get a Skywalker. Can carry all the gear you can throw at it. Will you be using the Gopro as your main FPV camera?, or are you going to use it for recording only and fly via a smaller camera?.

Cheers, Kev.

Link added: http://www.bevrc.com/skywalker-168cm...dhl-p-243.html
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Last edited by Kev.au; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
@Kev.au
Yes, I will be using the GoPro as my FPV camera and as a recorder. The antennas I am going for cloverleaf antennas in the air and helical antennas in the ground (I'll build the Helicals but buy the cloverleaves).

@ScooterInVegas
What do you mean when you say the GoPro puts out a lot of RF?

So I decided that I'll be making my own antennas so thats out of the $515 budget. The skywalker is a great platform and I am going to consider it, anything else in the aircraft part of the budget as that will determine what battery and charger I need? The antenna tracker, I was thinking of getting some ServoCity geared servos, what do you guys think?
Last edited by slisgrinder; Jul 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:19 AM
Bugs!!!!!!!
USA, OK, Wayne
Joined Sep 2009
222 Posts
Pray to the money gods for little $100 babies!!!! j/k
viper6549 is offline Find More Posts by viper6549
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
For this transmitter 1W Lawmate 1.2GHz Tx, what receiver is recommended? Also whats the most widely used txrx setup for FPV in the US?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:52 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Rx Lawmate basic.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
So this one then Lawmate receiver
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
That's the one. Make sure to buy the power cord when you order the rx.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
alright. thanks
I decided to build a tricopter so I have started pouring over the numerous tricopter threads here. Theres some great info out there but the motors are a bit expensive if I wanted to lift say a DSLR. I found these motors 750kV Turnigy, will it be fine with a 13x6.5 prop?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slisgrinder View Post
alright. thanks
I decided to build a tricopter so I have started pouring over the numerous tricopter threads here. Theres some great info out there but the motors are a bit expensive if I wanted to lift say a DSLR. I found these motors 750kV Turnigy, will it be fine with a 13x6.5 prop?
Sorry, I dont speak Chinese.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
fair enough. Well, AXi are expensive and their alternatives aren't that cheap either...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,588 Posts
unless you are into airial photography forget the gopro

you will enjoy fpv far better without a gopro

again unless you like to make movies rather than fly fpv

try a ezstar, they actually are great planes for fpv as a starter let alone as a plane to buzz around with on a daily basis.

don't blow all you money at once because you will want a different plane eventually.

Quote:
So I have $910 to spend on FPV, so far I will need the following:

-$260 for GoPro HD
-$135 for Video RxTx LawMate

That leaves me with $515 to spend on antennas, aircraft (with servos), antenna tracker, batteries and battery charger. I am using a custom 900MHz 1W transceivers for aircraft control and telemetry so thats not something that needs to be considered in the budget. Thats all I can think of, I don't need goggles yet so what are some suggestions to fit into this budget of $515?
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Well this is for an AHRS (autopilot/flight stabilization) I am developing for school but I have no clue on flight dynamics. So I though better to learn on a tricopter which I can tie to the basement to test and learn (I am in Calgary AB, Canada so winters aren't much fun to fly fixed wing aircrafts in). I am also interested in AP but for personal use, not commercial and the tricopter is relatively the same setup as a collective pitch heli so I can use the same code (with small tweaks) on a 700e heli. So I am planning for the long term and short term as best I can.

I already ordered the GoPro, Servocity servos for antenna tracking, I am getting the Video RxTx from NGhobbies, motors/ESC/Props/batteries/chargers/UBEC for the tricopter from hobbyking but also looking out for other sources. I am currently stuck on UBECs. I need a pair of 10A UBECs to power the antenna tracker and the tricopter electronics but the CastleCreations UBEC that NG hobbies sells is 5.1V and I need to buy a programmer which I can't find on their site...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
the tricopter is relatively the same setup as a collective pitch heli so I can use the same code (with small tweaks) on a 700e heli.
What do you mean by relatively

Collective pitch heli and tri/quad/hexa/octo-copter are 2 different setups, even more far from each other when it comes to autopilot and stabilization.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09