SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Replacing broken tip on Steigeisen with blade

If your finger slips off one side of the peg you may end up breaking the tip.

Here is how I replaced the throwing peg in the Hotel room at the NATs or the second day of competition.

Cutting and filling to fit then 2 hr laminating resin. Will see how it does.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
sorry to see the damage, Steve. looks like it will be good as new in about...2 hours
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:54 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
I would be in terrible shape if it was not for Ryan Thompson having an extra blade. Thanks Ryan.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:57 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,514 Posts
Hmm, I had this same failure on a Zone wing last week. I don't think its caused by poor launch technique, although that probably doesn't help. What I've noticed is the tip is so thin on many of these wings their simply isn't enough material left at the tip once you put the peg so far out. I ended up removing my old blade, gluing the tip back on, filling in the old blade hole with epoxy+carbon bits, and covering the entire tip with carbon on top and bottom. Then I re-mounted the launch blade one blade width further inboard. Seems to be a strong enough repair.

If I had a t-blade that would likely be a better long term solution in these thin wings without adding thickness at the tips in the form of more carbon.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
The T-Blade I installed was molded by Gavin Trussel. Trimmed and inserted. Repair turned out very well, strong, no issues yesterday.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:16 PM
Greg Short
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Jul 2008
294 Posts
I have to make the same repair after a "power" launch this morning. Did you have to use a lot of resin to bond it all together in there? I'm wondering about the lightest way to repair it so I don't throw the balance too far off.
I think a little reinforcement is required on these on the initial build. I'm going to wrap a little carbon tow on my other one before it comes off. Hopefully that will save it.
gshort72 is offline Find More Posts by gshort72