HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Discussion
Tricopter and Multicopter frame design...

It has been over a year since I built my first Multicopter.. and have loved every minute of it since. I recently purchased a table top cnc machine, and have been making some different motor mounts and other pieces for the multi rotors.

I know I am probably opening up a can of worms, but I would like to do some one-off machining for a couple people. The cost wont be much at all, probably just enough to cover material. The whole point of this is that I want to learn more about my machine and the techniques used to create parts. There is no better way to do this than hands on.

All I ask is that you send me a drawing of what you would like to see made, and I will see what I can do. If this takes off, I may start making production parts.

Here are a couple of the things that I have made already.
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:07 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,530 Posts
Well that's pretty cool, good luck! (hmm and your local too) what kind of tabletop CNC did you get?
tonkajeep34 is offline Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Burl wood Taranis Case
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:34 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Tonka

I got the Sherline Mill. Yep, local to you. Might have to get together sometime and bounce some ideas back and forth. Let me know if you need anything made. I love cutting delrin.. it machines so nicely.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
I can recommend a tumble polishing barrel - gives those small parts a "manufactured" look and feel
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:42 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,530 Posts
Cool, there have been a few times I wish I know someone with a cnc. I'd love to have one it looks like fun.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moon View Post
It has been over a year since I built my first Multicopter.. and have loved every minute of it since. I recently purchased a table top cnc machine, and have been making some different motor mounts and other pieces for the multi rotors.

I know I am probably opening up a can of worms, but I would like to do some one-off machining for a couple people. The cost wont be much at all, probably just enough to cover material. The whole point of this is that I want to learn more about my machine and the techniques used to create parts. There is no better way to do this than hands on.

All I ask is that you send me a drawing of what you would like to see made, and I will see what I can do. If this takes off, I may start making production parts.

Here are a couple of the things that I have made already.
Hi Chris,
What type of information do you need to get your CNC to perform. I am building a Tricopter using RCExplorer.se design. I cobbled together a body using some rough plates and straight sides and it works but I'd sure enjoy a finely cut frame like his.
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,530 Posts
I won't answer for Chris, but he made a couple camera mounts for me and did a very nice job!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Thanks Mike!

Shelterock,

Need a few things... First, I do not cut fiberglass or Carbon fiber on my machine. I can cut wood, but usually cut most everything out of Delrin. Delrin is very strong, and easy to machine.

I just need a sketch, with all critical dimensions. What did you have in mind?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
sherline is neat little cnc. it is lots of fun having a cnc. delrin is a cool material, great for boom clamps and such. my first cnc was a taig. made tons of stuff on it.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Moon View Post
Thanks Mike!

Shelterock,

Need a few things... First, I do not cut fiberglass or Carbon fiber on my machine. I can cut wood, but usually cut most everything out of Delrin. Delrin is very strong, and easy to machine.

I just need a sketch, with all critical dimensions. What did you have in mind?
Hi Chris,
Very Well, I was thinking fiberglass or G-10. I don't know if Delrin will do the job. I have had delrin gears in my cars. I'll have to look into it.

Tricoptertemplate

PDF template attached. I don't know if this suffices. The PDF prints out scale if you have the zoom at 100% in adobe reader.

Let me know your thoughts.
Best Regards,
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hi Chris,
Very Well, I was thinking fiberglass or G-10. I don't know if Delrin will do the job. I have had delrin gears in my cars. I'll have to look into it.

Attachment 4435459

PDF template attached. I don't know if this suffices. The PDF prints out scale if you have the zoom at 100% in adobe reader.

Let me know your thoughts.
Best Regards,
Harold
i actually redrew and cut those tri parts today for someone, there not perfect so tweaking them in your cad program will help. they came out nicely tho for me...
-
CNC Tri Copter parts on G10 material (0 min 55 sec)
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I just finished my y6 today. mostly from 2mm g-10 as well. and working on folding quad next. so much fun. i still have some 2mm cf sheets, so once I get the design finalized, iwill probably do them in CF. using leftover sheets.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:17 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
Quad Addict,

How much of a mess does G10 make when cutting? I havent dried, but is a dust collector enough to arrest most of the airborne dust?

Shelterock,

Let me look into cutting G10, as I would not mind a frame for myself made from G10...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:47 AM
VIDEOMAN3
New York
Joined Jan 2009
185 Posts
I'm looking for anybody that is cutting CF or G10. I have two DFX files one is a heavy lift quand and the other a small hexacopter. Those design belong to somebody else here in the forum. I would like to give it a try.
Quad Addict or any body else. Let me know and I will e-mail you the DFX files and get back to me with pricing. Thank you all
VIDEOMAN3 is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOMAN3
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:09 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Sounds a VERY nice machine to own Chris - Im surprised alot more ppl on the forums here havent jumped at the opportunity of some custom cut pieces from you!

The great thing about Quad / Tri frames, for the most part, they can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to become.

I'd be interested in a set of centre plate(s) for Tricopter frames. That offers a bit more surface space for Cameras + FCB + electronics etc, with the pre-drilled holes for the Tri Arms of course.

If you was to develop a neat tilting mechanism for the 'Rudder' motor on the Tri's, that could sell pretty well too!

I'd be interested in submitting an "order" for some parts to be cut, let me know what you need and I can get these to you (I dont use any special CAD package, but could knock up some diagrams in Photoshop or something). Then you could give me an idea on price of manufacture + materials + shipping to UK?
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes