HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Horizon Parkzone Ultra Micro Mosquito Mk VI BNF Review

ParkZone brings this famous British WWII fighter to life as a pocket-sized go-anywhere airframe.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:20.5 in.
Weight:2.6 oz.
Length:15.2 in.
Servos:AS2000L linear long throw servo x2 (ailerons, 1 each)
Transmitter:Spektrum DX8
Receiver:Spektrum AR6400T 6-Channel DSM2 Receiver/Dual ESC/Servos (rudder / elevator) Unit installed
Battery:E-Flite 250mAh 20C Li-Po
Motor:Dual 8.5mm coreless brushed / geared
Typical Flight Duration:8 minutes
Manufacturer:ParkZone
Available From:Horizon Hobby
Price:$119.99

The Parkzone Ultra Micro Mosquito is touted as the "first-ever 4-channel twin-engine ultra micro" (I am guessing there will be many more and I am personally hoping for a B-25!). ParkZone brings this famous British WWII fighter to life as a pocket sized go anywhere airframe. There are a few details that set this ultra micro apart from the rest: molded clear plastic canopy, dummy nose mounted cannons, internally mounted battery, and counter-rotating twin power systems to name a few. Since I already have four ultra micro aircraft in my hangar, I was excited to see how the new Ultra Micro Mosquito stacked up against the others.

The Nation Museum of the United States Air Force

On a impromtu recent trip to the National Museum of the United States Air Force, I ran into a nice surprise... a full scale USAAF version of the Parkzone Mosquito model that I was currently reviewing. The information in front of the Mosquito on display gave some of the technical specs and a brief history on this incredible aircraft. The following pictures are of the display (pardon the cell phone quality pictures, the trip to the museum was not planned or I would have brought a proper camera).

The DeHavilland DH 98 Mosquito that is on display at the Nation Museum of the United States Air Force.

Kit Contents

There are not many parts in the kit box mainly because the ultra micro airframe is completely built!

Kit Contents include:

• Ultra Micro Mosquito Airframe
  • E-Flite variable rate one cell Li-Po charger (including DC input cord)
  • 20c 250 mah 1cell Li-Po battery
  • Instruction manual and Lithium ion battery safety guidelines

First Impressions

The Ultra Micro Mosquito looks great, which is not always seen in models in this size and price point. The twin three bladed props really look the part. I was really impressed with the finish of the foam airframe. The foam is rather smooth, and the painted finish is applied with the precision I would hope for if I were to do it myself. All of the control surfaces were hinged, and there is easy access to mechanically change the trim for the elevator and rudder (the aileron linkages are inside of the engine nacelles). Although the rudder stops at the top of the fuselage, it was nice to see that ParkZone carried a control rod through the fuse to make the tail wheel operational.

I was also happy to see that there was a nice magnetic hatch on the front of the fuselage that allows the battery to be mounted inside. It's much nicer to have the battery inside rather than on the outside bottom of the airframe. Another nice break from the norm is the clear canopy on the Ultra Micro. The only thing that stuck out a little bit was the wire trail on the bottom of the wings that run out to each nacelle from the fuselage. It would have been nice to see them hidden under some tape that matched the color of the bottom of the wing. Overall, I was impressed with the Ultra Micro Mosquito. I am surprised they can pack all these features into a BNF package for $119.99.

Assembly

Binding and control centering

The battery needs to be plugged into the Ultra Micro Mosquito before the binding process can begin. After the battery is plugged in I was able to see a flashing light inside the fuselage just past the battery mounting tray. From here I bound the Ultra Micro Mosquito to my Spektrum DX8 transmitter. After the receiver was bound to the transmitter the light stopped flashing and was lit solidly. The manual recommends mechanically centering the flight control surfaces before the initial flight. After binding, my Ultra Micro Mosquito needed a little bit of down and right rudder trim. I used a pair of pliers to adjust the metal loop section of the control rods.

Pliers used to mechanically center the control surfaces (picture from manual).
Pliers used to mechanically center the control surfaces (picture from manual).
WARNING:
Do not use Sub-Trim to adjust the center position of the servo, and never set Travel Adjust values above 100%. Ultra Micro servos reach maximum travel at 100%. Increasing the value above 100% will NOT result in more travel, but can cause the servo to lock and will result in poor flight characteristics or a crash.
NOTE:
Linkages for ailerons are inside nacelles. Aileron linkages are smaller and may never need adjustment.

Center of Gravity and Control Throws

Don't skip this step and assume the airframe will balance at the correct location with the battery installed like some of the other Ultra Micro airframes. My Mosquito needed a small piece of lead in the nose to balance properly.

A Look Inside

What makes an Ultra Micro airframe possible? An Ultra Micro receiver and power system!

Completion

From box to "completion" in less than an hour! That's the time it takes to remove it from the box, charge the battery, bind the receiver, program the radio and balance the model.

At the Field

Flying

Taking Off and Landing

The Ultra Micro Mosquito takes off from smooth pavement very easily. All I needed to do is smoothly apply power and a little elevator, and the Mosquito was airborne in seconds. There is plenty of power available and the take off distance is rather short. The Mosquito can accelerate quickly so care must be taken when applying power to compensate with control input if needed (rudder is not usually needed under light to no wind conditions, the Mosquito tracks fairly straight with its counter rotating power system as long as the wheels are spinning freely).

Some modelers get nervous when hand launching an airplane, but there's nothing to worry about here! The Mosquito always flies out of my hand straight and with authority when being launched. I just run it up to a little over half throttle and give it a gentle toss. It is a relief not to have to worry about the prop torque twisting this airframe after launch. It is truly the easiest plane I have ever hand launched and I have been flying electric airframes and hand launching for over 12 years.

Landing the Mosquito on pavement is fairly easy as well but care must be taken not to get it flying too slowly or it will drop rather quickly. It is easy to tell if the Mosquito is going to stall because the elevator begins to lose its effectiveness well in advance. When the Mosquito does stall it is almost always straight forward without dropping a wing. I learned quickly that in order to execute smooth landings the Mosquito must be flown in and landed on the main gear first. If you attempt a three point landing you might end up in a stall if you hold it off too long waiting for the tail wheel to come down.

Landing the Mosquito in the grass without landing gear is easy as well but you donít want to bring it in too quickly and damage the props or power systems. I like to cut the power right before touch down. My best grass landings occurred when I added just a bit more elevator right before touch down, and even stalling it in the grass right before touch down has proven effective. Landing even in short grass with the landing gear is problematic, and almost always results in the Mosquito flipping over or ending up on its nose.

Basics

Overall, the Mosquito flies great as an Ultra Micro. It tracks well, especially in light to no wind situations, and has positive control and feel in all flight controls. Although even with moderate control throws the Mosquito can feel sensitive on the controls if enough expo is not used. I personally like this airframe on low rates with just a little expo for smoother scale like flight. The Mosquito does have some slight correcting tendencies in roll control but a trainer it is not. For basic flight on low rate, the rudder is effective in helping to coordinate turns and alignment during landing without being over sensitive. When flown in light winds the Mosquito does well, especially on landing. With just a little breeze under the Mosquitoís wings, landing speed is decreased by a fair amount. If the winds begin to gust or are blowing about 8mph or more the Mosquito begins to show signs of how light it is. In moderate wind situations I like to fly on higher rates for better control because the Mosquito can easily be blown off track. The power system on the Mosquito is very adequate. The airframe is not overpowered but there is plenty of power for quick acceleration and basic aerobatics. There is a bit of that standard gearbox whine associated with small geared motors but when you put two of them together it has a more pleasant sound. Basic flight is where the Mosquito shines and it looks the part during backyard missions.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The Ultra Micro Mosquito will perform basic four channel aerobatics somewhat easily but not always elegantly. Remember, this is a twin engine warbird. After a few laps around the field trimming the Mosquito and getting used to its basic flying characteristics on the maiden flight, which didnít take long, I was ready to try something a little more advanced. First, I tried a few rolls. They werenít exactly a thing of beauty at first since I wasnít prepared for the amount of down elevator it takes to fly level when inverted during a roll. After getting a feel for the proper elevator input the rolls actually looked decent for a multi-engined warbird, but are not completely axial. The Mosquito will fly inverted for extended periods somewhat easily but I needed to add in a fair amount of down elevator and be quick on the ailerons. When inverted, the Mosquito becomes more sensitive in the roll axis.

Next, I tried a few loops. The Mosquito will easily loop from level flight as long as I donít try to make them too big. A simple loop with the Mosquito looks rather graceful, and stall turns with the Mosquito are a thing of beauty. As simple as it is, it is one of my favorite ďadvancedĒ maneuvers because it does them so easily. The Mosquito shows less tail waggle during the kick over at the top than most of the aerobatic models I have flown. The Mosquito will perform other basic aerobatics in pitch and roll such as Cuban eights, Immelman turns, half Cuban eights and the like as long as the maneuver doesnít require excessive rudder.

Is This For a Beginner?

The ultra micro Mosquito is not for a true beginner. It is fairly responsive and doesnít show enough self-correcting tendencies, plus itís obviously small. It can be hard to tell its orientation if it gets too far away. A modeler with a fair amount of successful solo time on a basic trainer should be able to handle basic flight with the Mosquito.

Flight Video Gallery

Conclusion

I began this project hoping for another great flying addition to my ultra micro hangar, and the Ultra Micro Mosquito did not disappoint. It is unique and attractive enough that it actually gets attention at the field among models of greater stature. On those warm calm summer nights, a quick flight out in the yard on the Mosquito is a no brainer. ParkZone has a firm grasp of the bind-n-fly Ultra Micro market and the Mosquito continues in the tradition of those great flying aircraft.

Pluses:

• Fit, finish, and respectable scale appearance for its size and price point. It is a good looking model. Paint and applied decals are very good.
  • Completely built as provided.
  • More than adequate power with the included power system. Counter rotating props!
  • Clear canopy, not foam like some other ultra micros.
  • Easy access to INTERNALLY mounted battery pack via magnetic nose cone.
  • Landing gear can be easily removed and re-attached.
  • Flight characteristics.
  • Approximately 8 minute flight times on included battery.
  • Provided charger works well.

Neutral:

• I would like to see the battery connection wire in the nose of the airframe be longer so it would be easier to insert and remove the battery.
  • I would have liked to see the wire bundles that go out to the nacelles covered with some color matching tape.

Minuses:

• The main landing gear wheels did not spin freely as provided. Application of some oil on the axles helped alleviate most of the problem.
  • I realize this is not part of the actual airframe but the box that the airframe comes in should have been designed with a flip open lid and handle like the other ultra micro boxes. Note: The Current version of the Ultra Micro Mosquito is shipping with a kit box that includes a flip open lid and handle.

Wishes:

• More multi-engined Ultra Micro warbirds.
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Sep 07, 2011 at 12:01 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
I now have the T-28 and Corsair micro planes. I notice on your video that the takeoff not so good. Maybe wind or maybe the pilot is not used to the airplane but it look unstable. The rest of flight is very good so look like no wind.

I am still looking at another micro but I like very much the Beast. It has the 2S battery though so it need it's own and can not share with these other micro planes.
juanlargo is offline Find More Posts by juanlargo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:31 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanlargo View Post
....The rest of flight is very good so look like no wind.
No wind in the pavement video? Watch with your speakers on

There was a wind gust that came right when the plane was taking off so that is why you see the plane jump right at takeoff. Takeoffs in light or no wind conditions are very smooth. I thought this would be good to leave in to show how wind can and does affect this airframe.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:19 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
How much did the lead weight in the nose actually weigh?

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:16 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
WOW!! You gots da SKEELS!!! You make it all look so easy! Keep up the good work!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:12 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
my scale, which measures in .1 oz incraments will not register the weight. Some require a bit more than others, a flyer at the local field added a nickel to the front of his to balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
How much did the lead weight in the nose actually weigh?

Jim R.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:29 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Yet another Eflite ultra micro with motor problems

Mine has already had a new motor after 6 flights.
The left motor developed a dead spot so I had to spin it by hand to get going and had less power.
Same was for my Parkzone micro mustang
Given up on brushed ultra micros
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:09 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
I agree, Rcpilot!
It is the same with the Eflite UM helicopters. I have three (MCX, MSR, and MCP-X) and they all have had motor problems often.

I do also have a UM Beast. It is incredibly reliable. I fly the wings off of that with zero issues.
Can you imagine the rest of these UM's with brushless power, like the Beast?!?

We know they can do it. I wonder why they don't move into the modern world for all of these with brushless power? It can't be cost, as the Beast is now around 100 bucks.
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:14 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akent View Post
I agree, Rcpilot!
It is the same with the Eflite UM helicopters. I have three (MCX, MSR, and MCP-X) and they all have had motor problems often.

I do also have a UM Beast. It is incredibly reliable. I fly the wings off of that with zero issues.
Can you imagine the rest of these UM's with brushless power, like the Beast?!?

We know they can do it. I wonder why they don't move into the modern world for all of these with brushless power? It can't be cost, as the Beast is now around 100 bucks.
Kent
yes I have the Beast too and it's great

My next UM plane will be the Stryker 180 as I have the larger new stryker which is excellent.
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:10 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
yes I have the Beast too and it's great

My next UM plane will be the Stryker 180 as I have the larger new stryker which is excellent.
Yep, I also have the bigger 'Q'! It is unbelievable! I have ripped the stiffeners out and destroyed all the servos out of mine twice now! New servos (HK D-MG16's) and a couple of bottles of CA and mine flies just like new! It is a little uglier now!
Doiing the 'boomerang' still makes me chuckle every time!

It looks like the UM can do pretty much everything the big one can. That's amazing.
I think it's Quique Somenzini. Everything with his name on it is outstanding.
====
What I want is one of these Mosquitos and a B-25 with brushless power. I'll pay more for that. No problem.
Then if they could retrofit the Corsair and other WWII UM's with Brushless, I'll buy each of those, too.

I will never buy another UM anything with brushed motors.

On my wish list is UM retracts...
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,121 Posts
Had not flown mine since last fall forgot how much fun it is. Still on the same motors
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:45 AM
Joined Jun 2007
5 Posts
HI,

just got my micro "Mossie" and taking your comments on board I added a small piece of duct tape to cover the wires going to the nacelles

SteveB
bigglesb is offline Find More Posts by bigglesb
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:43 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,898 Posts
Great job, Kevin.

I maidened one of these Mossies for a friend of mine and your assessment of the flight and landing characteristics were right on the money. That little thing was surprisingly fast on those twin motors and was a total blast to fly. I was attempting to land on grass and sure enough, it was Noseover City every time. After a few attempts to grease it in, I finally let it stall and belly-flop in much the way you described.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:41 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Got around 25 flights on mine now. I'm using the cheap tranny from my PZ P-51. I find the Mossie flies great, even in 12 - 15 mph winds. Then, the Mustang does OK in 10-11 mph.
Only had 2 problems with the Mosquito. Mine doesn't like to go inverted, and on a gray, overcast day, I kind of loose orientation if I let it get more than about 150' away. In fact, it almost disapears.
Glad I bought it.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:35 AM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
Cool looking plane but I'd get some sort of prop-saver solution going and lose those wheels asap. It just looks dorky in the air, and not at all scale.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen