HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Discussion
How do you guys transport your planes?

I've got a 3-state trip coming up at the end of the month, and would like to take my Micro Yak along. It's got a wingspan of roughly 20".

I don't necessarily need a foam-filled case, but would like something to keep it from being crunched in my trunk during the trip.

Any suggestions?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:44 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
That's why I like the Horizon stuff so much. For me those carrying boxes are a huge plus value. You'll probably have to make your own box yourself. Check your local schools, colleges, as they do quite often renew their IT stuff during the summer while the students are away. Those large LCD monitor boxes may do the trick and they simply recycle them. They are sturdy, and usually come with a carrying handle already installed. Just a little bit of foam carving and they make nice carrying boxes.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:28 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Same, the Horizon boxes are great. I basically have one box with a foam in it, and velco to attach custom made adapters for my planes. The adapters are just other blocks of foam which I have carved to fit each plane. Only have one Champ, and a scratchbuild which doesn't fly, but still made the foam block for it.

I would say you should take off the wings on your airplane. Make them portable using wire and rubber bands, or magnets. Much much easier to transport.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
I would say you should take off the wings on your airplane. Make them portable using wire and rubber bands, or magnets. Much much easier to transport.
Unfortunately, it wasn't really designed to have its wings come off. It's basically just a small foamy.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:54 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Oh ya, but why not take them off carefully and make them portable? I'm sure the plane wasn't manufactured with the wing fused to the fuselage...
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
Oh ya, but why not take them off carefully and make them portable? I'm sure the plane wasn't manufactured with the wing fused to the fuselage...
Actually, it was:

Build-up 001 by bryanewyatt, on Flickr
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
the best thing i can tell you is to go find a cardboard box that fits it easily and make some foam supports to keep it from collapsing on it and to keep the plane from shifting inside the box.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
USA, FL, Oldsmar
Joined Feb 2007
14 Posts
Stop in at your local appliance store - They will usually give away the large cardboard boxes + lots of foam to brace things.

Bring with you a good box knife and flat metal to make/cut an edge.

spend a little time looking at the Parkzone type cases and you can cut a custom box cheap!

Larry
Red Neck Flier is offline Find More Posts by Red Neck Flier
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
I hadn't wanted to mess with cutting foam, but it looks more and more like I'll have to.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
why? just get a big box for it. shouldn't end up that large.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
why? just get a big box for it. shouldn't end up that large.
That was my thought. I was asking to see if anyone knew of a ready source of boxes normally used for something else that I could work with.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:20 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,002 Posts
Drive an SUV and get enough helium balloons to suspend the model in the hatch area. That way, it won't be susceptible to bumps and bruises if you end up in Pennsylvania with our wonderfully pothole ridden roads.

Me personally, I extrude, expand, and mold EPP for a living. I'd just gather some scrap and cut out a form fitting the airplane and put it in a box.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,319 Posts
I make a box from dollar store foam and packing tape for my scratchbuilt micros.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4002903
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Grocery store had plastic tubs with lids on sale for $2 last Thanksgiving and they fit a Champ perfectly.

I think Big Lots sells them for about $4. I put a few pieces of foam in them to keep the plane off the sides, but it works good for planes i don't have boxes for (like BNF Champs I've built from parts)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:35 AM
CERTIFIED CRASH ARTIST
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2011
66 Posts
You can get nice strong boxes from those public storage places.They also carry bubble wrap.I usually line the box with the bubble wrap lay plane inside and cut a handle in the sides. hope this helps. Jim
RCFLYBOY1 is offline Find More Posts by RCFLYBOY1