HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:11 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komet ME163 View Post
i also ordered from ADC and had the parts in just a couple of days will definitly use Rob again. Buck & half coming together, got 3dhs long servo arms for elev, when mounted does the arm go fwd towards the front or back toward elev, or does it matter? Going to screw gear in, do you do the epoxy to outside of gear plate like buck huck? Going to order CC ice lite 50 today who is good to get these from, as Rob doesn't carry them, Bivens has a 130 I'll use unless Ben start taking orders this weekend. Also I was going to use AR500 for rec, but after reading about them I'm a little freaked, any suggestions?

Bill
I ordered a ice lite 50 from all e r.c. for $85. if you order over $100 you get free shipping.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:09 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
I am building the buck and a half, I got the servo horn extensions, for the elevator, which hole to start with? I have a Dx6i.

Ron
Can the DX6 crank up the throw? Set the throw to max and move the arm and see what works. I'd start with the fathest one out.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:16 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Can the DX6 crank up the throw? Set the throw to max and move the arm and see what works. I'd start with the fathest one out.
The DX6i can increase the travel adjust up to 125% but that's it. For me... this only resulted in about 30 degree throw on the elevator. So I ordered the longer servo arms which should easily get me to the desired 45 degree angle I'm looking for.

I'll start in the outer hole and if I get too much throw I'll just dial back my dual rate (but leave travel adjust at 125%).
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:17 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
you are on the right track.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:43 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I have been talking with Rob over at ADC and he has figured out a good motor for me. What service! It is after hours and he is still messaging me back and forth. He has suggested a Hacker motor (specifically the A30-12L Hacker) based on the elevation I am at (5500 feet) and the fact that I plan on using 3s since those are the packs I have. I only have 1 4s pack and use it in one of my EDF's I rarely fly. Truly a great experience working with him and ADC. I will be a return customer for many years if they continue this kind of support! I am fairly new to 3D and he is really helping me out on getting a good setup.
I had the Hacker A30-12L on mine and it was too heavy to get the CG right without adding weight to the tail. w/ prop adapter and X mount it's a 173 gram motor!

IMO -Light is right!
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:00 AM
Champlin, MN
Joined Feb 2010
214 Posts
Quote:
i also ordered from ADC and had the parts in just a couple of days will definitly use Rob again. Buck & half coming together, got 3dhs long servo arms for elev, when mounted does the arm go fwd towards the front or back toward elev, or does it matter? Going to screw gear in, do you do the epoxy to outside of gear plate like buck huck? Going to order CC ice lite 50 today who is good to get these from, as Rob doesn't carry them, Bivens has a 130 I'll use unless Ben start taking orders this weekend. Also I was going to use AR500 for rec, but after reading about them I'm a little freaked, any suggestions?

Bill
I've been using a ZTW ESC from quantumhobby. I recommend it to others so often I should get some sort of commission...
I've been using an AR500 in both my Buck and Buck1.5 Hucks - never a problem with them.
ferch is offline Find More Posts by ferch
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:44 AM
Don't Midair Me, Bro!
USA, IN, Auburn
Joined Jun 2010
612 Posts
The weather cleared a little this morning, so I tried to "re-maiden" the buck and a half (flew briefly in high winds a week ago). Got all the way to the flying field and realized I had forgotten my canopy. Oh well, at least I got to fly my new PZ Spitfire Mark IX. Sweet little foam warbird if you're into that sort of thing.
split_s is online now Find More Posts by split_s
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:49 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
I had the Hacker A30-12L on mine and it was too heavy to get the CG right without adding weight to the tail. w/ prop adapter and X mount it's a 173 gram motor!

IMO -Light is right!
listed as a 143g motor

http://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a30-12l-motor-v2.aspx

i dont doubt that it is that heavy with x mount and prop adapter, but you also have to realize that other motors are heavier with that stuff as well
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post

IMO -Light is right!
instead of adding weight, couldnt you just relocate the rudder servo to the rear?
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:06 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
I have one with a Hacker A30-12L(13x6.5) and one with an Omega 130g(14x7), all the other gear is exactly the same. My battery location is in the same place on both to get a proper cg.
mayhemx007 is offline Find More Posts by mayhemx007
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemx007 View Post
I have one with a Hacker A30-12L(13x6.5) and one with an Omega 130g(14x7), all the other gear is exactly the same. My battery location is in the same place on both to get a proper cg.
i have used the omega 130gram and a hacker a30-14L in my vr-1 with no real noticeable difference in battery location as well.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:40 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
....My only concern is that I CA'd the nut onto the adjuster on the servo arm (no CA on the servo arm, just on the nut and threads of the adjuster) so I hope I can get it off. If not, I'll just buy some replacement servo arms and use another adjuster I guess.....
Put a little heat on it with a soldering iron and the CA will let go quick....just a quick touch....not enough to melt the servo arm.....or you can use acetone or debonder to release the CA......either way....you can reuse the hardware and arm.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Put a little heat on it with a soldering iron and the CA will let go quick....just a quick touch....not enough to melt the servo arm.....or you can use acetone or debonder to release the CA......either way....you can reuse the hardware and arm.
Thanks for the tip - much appreciated.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:24 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
i also ordered from ADC and had the parts in just a couple of days will definitly use Rob again. you do the epoxy to outside of gear plate like buck huck? Going to order CC ice lite 50 today who is good to get these from, as Rob doesn't carry them,

Bill
We should have ICE 50's next week, order went in today for them and they will be up on the web this afternoon
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:25 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
So I got my build finished last night except for the long servo arm that I'm waiting on (hopefully it gets here today or tomorrow). I'm feeling good about it - and I'm dying to fly it.

One thing that I was impressed with was how well the plane balanced. I was also suprised how much play I have available in battery positioning to get the plane's CG from the front of the range (80mm) to the back of the range (90mm). The range is very small but it allows for relatively large battery movements.

I'm running a 4s setup (4S 2500's) and to get the CG back to 90MM I have to put the battery all the way up against the wing tub. To get the CG up to 80MM I can move the battery a good 2 inches forward of the wing tube. It's nice to have that much play in my CG...