Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
so i decided to put the wheel pants and spats on my edge today. i never thought that plane would look good again i was wrong! anyways after the first flight with the pants i hit the grass and flipped the plane on the landing. all was well but what i feared had happened. the gear bent back and broke the balsa behind the side spat thingys on the wire. why can the edge just come with CF gear like the other 3dhs planes? anywyas its still all good and i cant wait to fly it again.

oh yeah and why wont my edge get into a high alpha harrier roll? its like a slow rifle roll. not high alpha but almot level.

i took some advice on here and trimmed the top of my fairings about a 45 degree slice so that they dont touch the fuse. im sure that has save mine a mine or 2 from damage on some landings.

i also have a harder time make'n the buck 50 roll nicely. can do my other planes alot better. but maybe i have too forward of a CG.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:03 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
so i decided to put the wheel pants and spats on my edge today. i never thought that plane would look good again i was wrong! anyways after the first flight with the pants i hit the grass and flipped the plane on the landing. all was well but what i feared had happened. the gear bent back and broke the balsa behind the side spat thingys on the wire. why can the edge just come with CF gear like the other 3dhs planes? anywyas its still all good and i cant wait to fly it again.

oh yeah and why wont my edge get into a high alpha harrier roll? its like a slow rifle roll. not high alpha but almot level.
To help minimize the small cracking in the gear fairing strips you can wrap with clear packing tape. That has wors
Jed for me. The wire will flex on any landing and when you grab it to bend it at all with fairings they can crack very easy.
Rolling Harriers- play with your CG. It will help make rolls nor axial as well. Do you have ailerons on splitter or independent channels? Makes sure your aileron throws are accurate, if more up or down it will set up assymetry in your axial and riffle rolls.
Good luck.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Do you use full elevator at rollers? Not on the Edge, but on my Slick I need to really chop the throttle down hard and use full elevators to make the tail "sink" while rolling into upright and inverted.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Cale10 is your plane nose-heavy? I had that issue on my 70" slick... fixed it by moving the CG back a little.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
110 Posts
My Edge came with a very weak landing wire (Friend has same plane, his is fine for some reason). I am no super 3D pilot, I play a little, but I love that the plane has capabilities far beyond me, so I am not held back by my plane. I finally decided to fix the only issue I have with this plane, my landing gear. So I cut into the floor and X-members, and laid in a section of balsa that is 3/8" thick, and it goes from the firewall to the X-Member that is about 6"'s back from the firewall. The idea here was to build a light structural floor that I could mount a conventional landing gear to.

I ordered a Du-Bro #789 landing gear set-up, but it did not get here in time for last weekend, so I had to improvise to get up in the air with some friends on Saturday/Sunday. I just made some arms out of some aluminum strip and flew it like that for the weekend. This was the most fun I have had with this plane since I got it (Probably 200 flights on it these days). Every landing was butter without fear of having the landing gear buckle under the lightest of landings. I got my Du-Bro gear today, and got it installed. i think it looks great (A little orange paint would finish it off well I think). I can't wait to give it a run this Saturday! This was my first run with Monokote covering to cover the repair, went and bought the iron, heat gun, and some covering, not as daunting to work with as I thought! Kinda fun!

NFA Fabrication is offline Find More Posts by NFA Fabrication
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:11 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
I ordered a Du-Bro #789 landing gear set-up, but it did not get here in time for last weekend, so I had to improvise to get up in the air with some friends on Saturday/Sunday. I just made some arms out of some aluminum strip and flew it like that for the weekend. This was the most fun...
Nice mod. I looked around for some specs. on the Du-Bro 789 gear but couldn't find any weight mentioned for it. Any idea? Is the Du-Bro gear lighter than the aluminum gear you were using?

I've been using CF gear on my Edge and really like it. Light and strong, but more expensive than the Du-Bro gear.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:00 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Hi fellas! so iv been tryen to fly as much as I can lately and Im trying to learn how todo the rolling Harrier, Im able to get a couple rolls out of it before I have to abort
guess my is the cg, I go invert and it descends slowly so im guessing thats ok cg for normal flying it hoovers good this way , so back to RHarrier I use my low rates seems to work better for me at this point, so move cg back?? and if i do so will I fight the buck on other tricks then? is there such a thing as a happy cg?
p.s I know Im no trickster and I have a lot work todo on timing an right inputs but just wanted to hear some thoughts on what will help me with reaching my goals
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Nice mod. I looked around for some specs. on the Du-Bro 789 gear but couldn't find any weight mentioned for it. Any idea? Is the Du-Bro gear lighter than the aluminum gear you were using?

I've been using CF gear on my Edge and really like it. Light and strong, but more expensive than the Du-Bro gear.
Not sure on the weight, It is definitely heavier than the stock landing wire, and is comparable to the aluminum I used temporarily. If I was more experienced, I may notice the weight, but It seems to fly as good as stock for my flying style (Only tested with the aluminum so far, but expect the new gear to be identical). I went with the Du-Bro for aesthetics over the aluminum.
NFA Fabrication is offline Find More Posts by NFA Fabrication
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
Hi fellas! so iv been tryen to fly as much as I can lately and Im trying to learn how todo the rolling Harrier, Im able to get a couple rolls out of it before I have to abort
guess my is the cg, I go invert and it descends slowly so im guessing thats ok cg for normal flying it hoovers good this way , so back to RHarrier I use my low rates seems to work better for me at this point, so move cg back?? and if i do so will I fight the buck on other tricks then? is there such a thing as a happy cg?
p.s I know Im no trickster and I have a lot work todo on timing an right inputs but just wanted to hear some thoughts on what will help me with reaching my goals
im just starting to pick up on them, kinda have the throttle pump down, timing still not just right and thats pretty much all ive been practicing on foamys and balsas. it takes LOTS of practice to get them down. I know some of the pros said it took them way over 6 months of nothing but rollers on planes, sims, and even practice'n will not flying or on the sim. They would practice the stick movements on their Tx while sitting around the house. Ive actually been doing that for about a month, it has helped. ill see if i can find the link to what Aaron Bates came up with as movement for the perfect roller.

i can do a nice looking rolling harrier on my twisted hobby epp but I still have a LONG way to go before i can say i have them nailed down on a balsa plane.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:41 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Teddy keep practicing and use a sim if you can. The 48 edge is a good practice platform but I had a hard time with rollers at first on it. Your cg sounds fine... it is a combination of power and timing that let's the nose drop. If it is dropping that means either late timing or you need more power.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:56 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Rollers took me much longer than any other maneuver to learn and at first it was frustrating because I had learned everything else relatively quickly.

But just keep practicing and eventually it will click.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
something else i did that helped me, on the sim turn the physics down to 40-50 percent. then after you can do them at that level bump it up 5-10 % until you are at 100-125% . i think alot of folks have learn this way also.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:38 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
thanks fella's for the input , yea iv been rocken the sim as much as I can so Ill keep hucken her into the wind. Hopefully it will click one day
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member