HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:41 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
Arnav, try this tip l learned from RCG. Use Vaseline to cover the lever, spring to prevent glue running into these moving parts. I personally prefer 5 mins epoxy for this job.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:57 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
I think you are right. I am happy I asked. This is exactly how I glue the GWS wing nuts. The Vaseline make sure the epoxy doesn't get into the nut. I thought that maybe thick CA will be less runny than epoxy but with the Vaseline it should be just fine, plus unlike CA you can keep moving it back and forth while it cures to make sure nothing is jammed. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Vince.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
You are welcome, Arnav.
Snowing, 29 degree, 20mph+ wind and ski trip occupied my time for this weekend. Wife and kids are thinking about another trip this coming weekend. Probably no flying for me, again.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:57 AM
Byron C
3DeltaFly's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I think you are right. I am happy I asked. This is exactly how I glue the GWS wing nuts. The Vaseline make sure the epoxy doesn't get into the nut. I thought that maybe thick CA will be less runny than epoxy but with the Vaseline it should be just fine, plus unlike CA you can keep moving it back and forth while it cures to make sure nothing is jammed. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Vince.
I used thick CA to glue mine back in, and hit it with Kicker before it had a chance to run. It helps to prep the smooth glue area on the latch by scuffing it up a bit with sandpaper.

Using Vaseline on the moving parts prior to gluing the latch is a great idea Should have done that myself, but lucked out using a small amount of oil instead.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
M.Putnam's Avatar
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,073 Posts
I just completed the build and got the throws dialed in on mine. Weather looks bad for a weekend maiden. Might go ahead and add the vortex generators since I will have time. Just got a shipment of right angle plastic.
M.Putnam is offline Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:46 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Putnam View Post
I just completed the build and got the throws dialed in on mine. Weather looks bad for a weekend maiden. Might go ahead and add the vortex generators since I will have time. Just got a shipment of right angle plastic.
nice! i know youll like them.
wedoitall is online now Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:21 PM
Registered User
teddy5085's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Well went out and shoveled part of the runway off today and got 6 flights in due to numb thumbs or dumb thumbs (ruling is not in yet lol) had a way close call doing a hover 2' off the ground! I was like NOOOOOO as it fliped upside down then I get it right side up and massive wing rock and just caught a ski and PUFF it lands in 4" of snow , tell u what that will put a warm feeling in ur tummy or in my case maybe a little in the shorts as well!
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:26 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I snuck out to fly today too and almost dumped mine due to a wind gust on a harrier turn 6 inches from the ground. Whew got lucky on that one. Almost did the slow cartwheel of doom. Lol.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:33 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
Well went out and shoveled part of the runway off today and got 6 flights in due to numb thumbs or dumb thumbs (ruling is not in yet lol) had a way close call doing a hover 2' off the ground! I was like NOOOOOO as it fliped upside down then I get it right side up and massive wing rock and just caught a ski and PUFF it lands in 4" of snow , tell u what that will put a warm feeling in ur tummy or in my case maybe a little in the shorts as well!
ha, maybe alil in the shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
I snuck out to fly today too and almost dumped mine due to a wind gust on a harrier turn 6 inches from the ground. Whew got lucky on that one. Almost did the slow cartwheel of doom. Lol.
had close calls down low in wind gusts. kinda scary. I keep telling myself I wont do anything with a high AOA down low with gusty wind/x-wind. but I keep doing it.
wedoitall is online now Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:21 PM
Registered User
teddy5085's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Hello all guess I have a ?? Im thinking about buyen a new speed controller and i was looken at a icelight 100 for a bigger plane in the future so I guess im wondering would it be ok to run it in a smaller one such as my buck 1.5
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:35 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
quadracer's Avatar
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,568 Posts
It would certainly work, but it's quite large and heavy for a 48.... You'd need to move it quite a way back to get it balanced.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
It would certainly work, but it's quite large and heavy for a 48.... You'd need to move it quite a way back to get it balanced.
My batteries were always way up against the front of the MB anyway so I'm betting it will balance just fine. Might even help get the batts back in the MB for easier strapping.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
quadracer's Avatar
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,568 Posts
Good point. Mine were quite a way back from the firewall, so I was just going off of my own experience. It would be worth a shot to try it though.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:02 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
M.Putnam's Avatar
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,073 Posts
"Go" fever got the best of me. I have been waiting to fly the Edge for weeks, but my schedule and bad weather have conspired to prevent me from comitting aviation! In spite of 10-15 mph winds I maidened the Edge with carbon gear and sfg mods today. I think I am really going to like this plane. It is very floaty and will be a knifedge monster. Harriers were easy (even in the wind). Now if I can get some free time and good weather to happen simultaneously, I might get to wring this bird out!
M.Putnam is offline Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:08 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Putnam View Post
"Go" fever got the best of me. I have been waiting to fly the Edge for weeks, but my schedule and bad weather have conspired to prevent me from comitting aviation! In spite of 10-15 mph winds I maidened the Edge with carbon gear and sfg mods today. I think I am really going to like this plane. It is very floaty and will be a knifedge monster. Harriers were easy (even in the wind). Now if I can get some free time and good weather to happen simultaneously, I might get to wring this bird out!
Awesome! Yea, the weather has sucked lately. It was windy down in Charlotte too but I still got out there. Backwards harriers are always interesting!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM