HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Looks great. My "quicky" SFGs are good but not too durable. I've had to fix them after a couple tip drags. These are constructed much better. Love the vinyl too! Custom or did you order? Rather than do the carbon gear I picke up an EF MXS and a 60" extra and then found a good deal on a 78" extra. Somebody stop me!!!! Certainly pay PAL? Won't.
I ordered the vinyl . yea I think I mite get a 78" extra this summer as well. Im still a noob at all of this yet, I wish I could fly half as good as the peps on here
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Keeping the throws maxed out on the radio is so you have better resolution (finer control movement). If you're getting WAY to much throw, move your linkage in one hole on the servo arm. Your servo will have an easier life.
Thanks quad. That did the trick. One hole in, max deflection in Tx Now I know the motivation...

btw, how much elevator do you guys like to set on your failsafes? A few percent so that it supposedly glide in, or 45 deg so that it supposedly harrier down?

Oh, the EF CF Tail wheel assembly is back in stock if anyone needed one...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:13 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Thanks quad. That did the trick. One hole in, max deflection in Tx Now I know the motivation...

btw, how much elevator do you guys like to set on your failsafes? A few percent so that it supposedly glide in, or 45 deg so that it supposedly harrier down?

If you set too much throw it is going to stall, drop the nose hard then pop un in a stall, drop again and then another stall...
So you have about a 60% chance that it is going to hit the ground right when its going down. But if it happens to hit the gound in a stall its like a perfect landing!
I would suggest maybe 20* of throw.
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
how do i set the failsafe for elevator deflection? i have a dx8
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post

i have the EF tail assembly on my buck 50 and like it much better than stocker. i put extra set screws and used alil ca on them. i also used some channel locks around the wire and the CF and squeeze alil bit. that was recommended to me on the EF forums.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,438 Posts
What are Rx are you using? Not all of them support it (some would only support throttle F/S or hold last commend, etc').

I would have typed that from memory but cutting and pasting from the Spektrum manual is much easier (I fly Futaba now)

Preset Failsafe
If the signal is lost, all channels are driven to their failsafe position set during
binding.
Preset Failsafe is ideal for sailplanes, as spoliers can be deployed during loss of
signal, preventing a flyaway.

How To Program
1. Insert the bind plug and power on the receiver.
2. When the receiver LEDs blink indicating bind mode, remove bind plug
before binding the transmitter to the receiver.
3. LED lights will continue to blink.
4. Move transmitter’s control sticks and switches to the desired Preset Failsafe
positions then turn it on in bind mode.
5. The system should connect in less than 15 seconds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:19 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,462 Posts
I've never set my failsafes. I need to do that one of these years! LOL

I'd probably set them to about 25% up elevator, 25% throttle, that way it'll harrier at least until it hits a tree.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,438 Posts
No reason to set failsafe if it doesn't fail (or at least I can see why you would put it off)... When a signal (or lack thereof) catches the best of your Planes as oppose to your thumbs, you try and get all the help you can...

Of course, a buddy of mine installed this $500 box from Germany that let you fly with two Rxs simultaneously (don't remember what it is called) in his Chipmunk to try and collect some telemetry from the field and its increasing signal issues. As luck would have it, it was a (0.90) motor stall that brought it down and not a signal issue last week...

The best idea is to probably fly with a horse shoe, clover of garlic or something....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Feb 01, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I've never set my failsafes. I need to do that one of these years! LOL

I'd probably set them to about 25% up elevator, 25% throttle, that way it'll harrier at least until it hits a tree.
According to Ben....0 throttle, full up elevator, and after my flight failure with my "Byper", I believe in it!! When I knew my plane was not recoverable, I chopped the throttle, and gave it full up elevator. The first picture is how I found it almost 3/8 mile away from the flight line, with no damage......and the red circle in the second picture shows about where I found it!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
According to Ben....0 throttle, full up elevator, and after my flight failure with my "Byper", I believe in it!! When I knew my plane was not recoverable, I chopped the throttle, and gave it full up elevator. The first picture is how I found it almost 3/8 mile away from the flight line, with no damage......and the red circle in the second picture shows about where I found it!!

SteveT.
someone working in that field might have been very surprised lol!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post

SteveT.
thats still amazing to me.

think ill have to listen to what Ben says
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:24 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
someone working in that field might have been very surprised lol!
There were guys working that day, but in other parts of the orchard.....that is a cherry orchard....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:25 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
thats still amazing to me.

think ill have to listen to what Ben says
Believe me, it is to me also.....There is an old saying...that "God is my co-pilot"....well in that last part, he took over for me!!...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,438 Posts
Full up elevator it is! Just finished programming it. It will be a quick change.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
working on mine atm