Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
cool thanks. hope to get to try out inbetween services at work tomorrow. i think about 1.5 was the best i could get. it would hang up there for a bit tho.
If you're getting about 1.5 turns you're doing fine. Play around with the speed of your aileron and elevator transition and see what happens. You can actually pop top into a KE spin too!! Just hold that left aileron longer.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:59 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,959 Posts
What do you guys call a rotation in a pop top? I always think 360 deg and I've never seen one that was more than like 2 full circles at the top. I can do sweet ones with my 70" gasser that are real crowd pleasers and they are about 720 degrees.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:12 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
What do you guys call a rotation in a pop top? I always think 360 deg and I've never seen one that was more than like 2 full circles at the top. I can do sweet ones with my 70" gasser that are real crowd pleasers and they are about 720 degrees.
Yep. 360 from entry point. My 51" Slick is the best in my fleet at pop tops. My 71" Slick is a distant second.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:43 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
If you're getting about 1.5 turns you're doing fine. Play around with the speed of your aileron and elevator transition and see what happens. You can actually pop top into a KE spin too!! Just hold that left aileron longer.
the 1.5 was just on the 3 out of 10 that were good. didnt think about the pop top to KE spin.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
so how hard on the buck 50 airframe and wing tube is the KE spin?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
Quote:
not as hard as a FT blender
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I think it's actually much harder on the motor mount and motor box than anything. But I can tell you that I probably did close to 500 KE spins on my last Edge with no ill effects. In fact, at one point a KE spin, hover and blender were about all I knew how to do!
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Well, here's the damage from last weeks little foray and snapping of the wing tube

I think the sides will be ok with a bit of glue. What is the best way to glue the balsa pieces back together? Thin or Med CA or epoxy?

The rest of the left hand side is still attached to the wing

The damage to the motorbox is a different problem. The braces on the first former are broken. Would some popsicle sticks glued to the back of these with Med CA be strong enough? I think I will need a new firewall as that has been pushed back (Steve T - do you have a template for this one ) The damage to the piece on the top of the motorbox is a little concerning - would another piece of wood glued to the top be strong enough to hold it. Thinking about it, would it be better just to get the motorbox kit and use the firewall and top of the motorbox kit and first former to replace the broken pieces? Might be difficult trying to get just one or two pieces out and back in while leaving the rest in there.

Does the motorbox kit extend back to the former where the rudder servo is mounted. Even if it did how would I get the broken one out and the new one in? Might have to be popsicle sticks again up the side of the plane to try and give it some strength Just a little worrying as this is where the wingtube goes so there would be quite a bit of stress in this area.

Does anyone know how to fix the sleeve the carbon tibe goes through in the fuselage as this has snapped as well and a small piece is missing? Either that or does someone have one they would be willing to sell and I'll pay postage as well? I have a US address I can use

Will need to order a new cowl anyway as that was pretty busted up as well.

I know this is "chinacote" but does anyone also know the closest blue monokote or ultracote to this covering?

How strong will the repairs need to be? I don't want to go overboard and double the weight of the plane, but it still needs to be strong enough to handle my even basic 3D flying

Thanks for any thoughts.
edf_rookie is online now Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
not as hard as a FT blender
Very true. I've ripped apart a few 51" Slick motor boxes like this. I see it as an accomplishment.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i just got an in-stock notice on buck 50 motorboxes at 3dhobbyshop.com
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
looks fixable, but I would re-kit, check your motor, prop adapter or bell housing is probably bent
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Very true. I've ripped apart a few 51" Slick motor boxes like this. I see it as an accomplishment.
yep, broke my top braces on the 51" slick twice already.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
may just save FT blenders for when im showing off in front of people LOL sounds kinda scary to rip apart a motor box mid air
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
looks fixable, but I would re-kit, check your motor, prop adapter or bell housing is probably bent
Agree. That's fixable.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
may just save FT blenders for when im showing off in front of people LOL sounds kinda scary to rip apart a motor box mid air
Never ripped one so badly that I crashed... But enough to feel some strange pulling because the firewall came loose.