HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:11 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
also i added sfgs to my buck 50. i can really tell a difference in KE flight. next i wanna try vortex gens. Got advice to use 3m double sided tape instead of Welders to secure them to the plane. When i started looking a 3M double sided tape, i found a plethora of styles and makes. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what kind of tape to get? i saw some for automotive applications but it was pretty pricey.
I would skip the tape and use screws personally. I'd be afraid it would let go at the wrong time. A couple of servo screws should to the trick. Just drill pilot holes, run the screw in then back out, and hit each hole with a drop or two of thin CA to harden them up. Let dry and you're good to go.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:44 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Ultracoat or monokote for this Plane? I was going to get ultracoat (becuase anything with ultra in its name must be better! ) but this post from September making we think twice about it.

Thanks!
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
soo... maiden with 920kv sunnysky and vess 13x6...what can i say....everything is trainer-like, only rolling seems...forced? its a big, chrunchy foamy!its even more harrier stable than my 60" edge, but with that stability comes downside, everything rolling 'looks' forced... i crunched my aeleron tip... thats what you get when you let plane slide down to 1' while doing inverted harrier...
Move battery back a little, maybe increase throws...makes a big difference. Mine rolls very well...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:04 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Ultracoat or monokote for this Plane? I was going to get ultracoat (becuase anything with ultra in its name must be better! ) but this post from September making we think twice about it.

Thanks!
The covering on the Edge is "Chinacote", and neither Ultracote, or Monokote, are a perfect match. When I installed my landing gear fairings, I covered the bottom with Ultracote orange, just in case the glue came loose, so, I wouldn't lose one (or both) of them. I don't remember (without getting up off my fat lazy butt and going and checking which), but one of the two coverings had a very "slightly" more brown tinge to it. They are not a perfect match, but from 10 feet away, you won't see it.....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I checked the DB wheels. How wide are they? May have trouble fitting in width wise since these pants are designed for the sport thin tires. I think the DB s are wider.
i think the lectra lite wheels will fit. they are 1/2" the others are 3/4"
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:07 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
I would skip the tape and use screws personally. I'd be afraid it would let go at the wrong time. A couple of servo screws should to the trick. Just drill pilot holes, run the screw in then back out, and hit each hole with a drop or two of thin CA to harden them up. Let dry and you're good to go.
yea i made tip plates and used 4-40 machine screws for the sfgs. its the vortex gens im trying to figure what to use to mount. Hercdriver says welders glue. but i would like something i can take off and move around for testing purposes.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The covering on the Edge is "Chinacote", and neither Ultracote, or Monokote, are a perfect match. When I installed my landing gear fairings, I covered the bottom with Ultracote orange, just in case the glue came loose, so, I wouldn't lose one (or both) of them. I don't remember (without getting up off my fat lazy butt and going and checking which), but one of the two coverings had a very "slightly" more brown tinge to it. They are not a perfect match, but from 10 feet away, you won't see it.....

SteveT
I am not concerned with the color being off... After I am done with it I am sure it will be a franken-edge .
I wasn't sure if I should be using one over the other thickness or strength wise...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
yea i made tip plates and used 4-40 machine screws for the sfgs. its the vortex gens im trying to figure what to use to mount. Hercdriver says welders glue. but i would like something i can take off and move around for testing purposes.
You could use "Teachers tape", or "Glue dots"

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:38 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
It is on the radar! Right after the 51" Slick (tough I am tempted to jump straight to the 59"). But I think the next one has to be a Slick... I just got to see what all the rage is about. The good thing with the 51" is that is shares the batts with the SV...

51 takes 4s 2650...
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
3dhs site says 2200 to 2650mAh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:25 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
I think the point he was making was that the 51" Slick uses 4S batteries, the SV can use 3S or 4S batteries, most use 3S batteries unless they are running the SV like a pylon racer.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:27 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
I ran my SV on 4s. It was fun to get a high speed pass, then throw it into a violent tumble!
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Well, I think Alex was trying to say that you can't share 4S batts between the 51 and the SV becuase the 51" requires 2650 and the SV 2250. However my point was that the 3dhs site says that the 51" can take 4S 2200 to 2650 (but what do I know, I don't have a 51").
I am aware the SV can take 3S batts and that it what I intend to use at first anyway. It should be here tomorrow already!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
You could use "Teachers tape", or "Glue dots"

SteveT.
may try to glue dots and see if they hold up. if not guess ill have to get something alil more $$$$

thanks once again ol' buddy. ol' pal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:59 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
675 Posts
Curious to know which of the ZTW speedos most are using ...the "A" or "B" series.
The "b" series is interesting with that 5 amp sbec, but unsure if it's needed
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958