HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
My perception based on reading this thread, is that most here set the CG either at 80mm (which is interesting as 3dhs labels it "sport") or 85mm and very few (if any) set it at 90.
I agree and that wording really had me confused as this was my first real 3D plane so I thought that to fly 3D I needed to get my CG back to the 90mm point. I think they really should consider rewording that to something like... Start with a CG around 80mm (which should be close to neutral) and then adjust to your liking from there.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:13 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Oh man!!! Sorry to see this!!! While it probably could be repaired, you might (and I hate to say this) just want to spend the time building a new one. Valleyview RC has a blue one in stock...

SteveT.
For sure! I was just waiting and hoping someone reports they know where the Orange one is in stock before I pull the trigger on the blue one. I am going to try and fix it simply for the experience. I can only imagine what it is like to cover for the first time.

Need a proof I am a superficial person? I am not excited to get a blue one... (sorry blues). Then again, looking at your hangar Steve, you seem to have affinity for the orange/red ones as well... Nice Hangar! I showed it to the wife just to level set...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:59 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
What size and brand of battery are you flying with? I had to get my battery way up front to get to neutral but it wasn't all the way up or anything. I even considered adding a little nose weight just so I could push my battery back a little for betting strapping.
i use 2200mah epbuddy. they weigh about 6.3oz the block of foam is a hard foam and its approx. 2.25" inches thick. i think if i could get it just a lil more forward it would be better. may have to cut off the .25" of the foam
wedoitall is online now Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:00 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
648 Posts
Steve....great pic of the hanger....showed it to the wife and said" see.....it could be worse "

To be honest....my first choice was the orange one also...but I have this problem with money ( can't seem to hang on to it....oooohhhhh...look how shiny)..so when I had the funds for my edge, the only one available was the Blue one so I bought it before I got distracted by something else. But it has grown on me and I don't mind being different
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Quote:
For sure! I was just waiting and hoping someone reports they know where the Orange one is in stock before I pull the trigger on the blue one. I am going to try and fix it simply for the experience. I can only imagine what it is like to cover for the first time.

Need a proof I am a superficial person? I am not excited to get a blue one... (sorry blues). Then again, looking at your hangar Steve, you seem to have affinity for the orange/red ones as well... Nice Hangar! I showed it to the wife just to level set...
That is true....I do!!

Thank you...and....yes, I have been told by a few people they have done that....and I got a PM from the wife of one, telling me she "hated" me....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:17 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i love when you guys show your hangars, charging stations, and whatnot on here. i always show it to my wife. lets me get off the hook for what lil bit i have. hehe
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:32 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
i use 2200mah epbuddy. they weigh about 6.3oz the block of foam is a hard foam and its approx. 2.25" inches thick. i think if i could get it just a lil more forward it would be better. may have to cut off the .25" of the foam
I can't figure out how that won't balance out. My Edge (RIP) balanced with Turnigy batteries nearly all the way out from under the cowl, AND an HS85mg rudder servo. Also with Omega 130 and ICE 50.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
ok, here is the damage. I suspect you will not be impressed as it is certainly not "matchsticks." However, I am still a little daunted by the task. You boil it just like foam right? I haven't taken the cowl off yet, the the motor mount will need repair (if not replacement as well). Hopefully the motor itself is fine. The parallel damage on both wings is interesting.

Thanks rcguy, nothing wrong with the blue one... I was just in the mood for another Orange one...

EDIT: the biggest immediate challenge seems to be how to determine where the wings should be centered on the fuse...
My friend has a brand new in the box orange if interested
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Woho! PM'd
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I can't figure out how that won't balance out. My Edge (RIP) balanced with Turnigy batteries nearly all the way out from under the cowl, AND an HS85mg rudder servo. Also with Omega 130 and ICE 50.
yea i cant figure it out either. i had some bigger wheels on it at first and it balanced out no problem with them, but when i went back to landing on concrete i switched back up to the stocker and cant get it to balance. i really dont wanna run the dubros i have, they are piggys, they weigh something like 1.7 oz a piece as compared to the stockers are 0.2 oz. didnt know if that would mess up my weight ratio.

i did divit out some of the foam behind the firewall so hopefully i can go flying at work or after and try it out. maybe the motorfly motor is lighter? im also running ice 50 only thing i have different is telemetry unit but i dont think that would make that much of a difference as yours.

from the forward end of the rudder servo to the aft of my lipo is exactly 4.75" so the puts half of my lipo under the cowl.

today i did buy a 85mg servo for my rudder also. since i modded me a longer arm to get 45+ throws (which im really digg'n) i noticed the rudder studdering when the tail wheel is at a certain angle on the ground.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
was thinking about getting some orange wings and make'n me a frankenedge . i flew today in a overcast and at certain angles it was hard to tell what was going on. think if i put the fairings and wheels pants on that would help too. but figured id leave those off till i felt comfortable flying low.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
You're running a Motrolfly? Which one again?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
2815 950
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:26 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,570 Posts
Hmmm. That's not much lighter than any of the other motors commonly used. Baffling.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
did just now noticed something while i was doing some preventive checklist things. the screw that hold the ball link to my elevator horn was loose and there was quite abit of play in the elevator. maybe that was throwing the inverted test off some, since it had play in it and when i would reset trims to neutral when i changed cg. idk just a thought. im still learning.