HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
sorry arnav all I really want is the flight pack voltage.
Fair enough. How about putting the temp probe you got around the ESC tough? You have that probe so why not use it?
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
flew the guts out of my edge today. did my first knife edge spin, have tried with the epp but none every looked right. pretty much nailed it on first attemp today. does nice looking blenders also.
with the help on the setup and servos i got here and running ep buddy lipos today. it was like a totally different plane. i can hover and torque roll with it pretty decent. but had problems at first keeping harriers consistent. thats kinda backwards? was wondering what rates/expo you guys usually do harriers with. i did get them looking better towards the end of the day, so maybe just need practice, but im not happy with them. other than that i really like this plane.

for some reason i didnt think about entering harrier from an Elevator. may be easier that way, thinks thats how i learned on the epp.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Last edited by wedoitall; Jan 12, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: hillbilly grammar
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i flew about 12 batteries today and played with cg just about every battery. what did you guys end up with your cg? did you balance from80 or 90 mm? and from there did you get neutral or nose heavy? did you just do inverted test or others?
i fly my epp's really tail heavy but i figure i shouldnt do that with this plane.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
i flew about 12 batteries today and played with cg just about every battery. what did you guys end up with your cg? did you balance from80 or 90 mm? and from there did you get neutral or nose heavy? did you just do inverted test or others?
i fly my epp's really tail heavy but i figure i shouldnt do that with this plane.
Did you re-trim after each CG change?

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
I set mine just a touch nose heavy so that when inverted I just have to breath on the stick to keep it level, but everyone is different and you have so decide what you like. I also found that it changes over time (what I like), I have battery marks all over the place. put 300-400 flights on that plane then get a 51" slick and report back
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Did you re-trim after each CG change?

SteveT
yes sir, thanks to you, today i did. i remembered you telling us to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I set mine just a touch nose heavy so that when inverted I just have to breath on the stick to keep it level, but everyone is different and you have so decide what you like. I also found that it changes over time (what I like), I have battery marks all over the place. put 300-400 flights on that plane then get a 51" slick and report back
so where did you measure you cg at? for your intial cg. i measured mine today from about 80mm. the day i maiden'd i flew it tail heavy for 2 batterys by accident. i kinda like it, cept for landing. landing tail heavy kinda sucked had to harrier land.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
From my experience (not too much with this one, about 80 or so flights) and what I've read most of us are forward on the CG range. I run mine right around 80. When I put skis on it moved the CG a little forward and I flew it like that, seemed to like it more forward. Pop tops and tumbles were better, hover didn't lock in immediately but did get there. I think a setting similar to what "inverted" said should be a nice start "a touch nose heavy so that when inverted I just have to breath on the stick to keep it level". When you are messing with CG make sure you zero everything else you may have trimmed and mixed. Any trim and coupling mixes will change with each CG change. Just sayin! Have fun, sounds like you are. I'm trying to get some POV video. Looking for a good position for the camera. Tried the wing root at the spar- too far forward, not enough reference and I nearly got sick watching. Going to try the horizontal stab angled in slightly to pick up the nose. Key fob camera stayed on during some pretty violent flying with only velcro . Hopefully video to come.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
I think turnerm pretty much summed it up here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Don't over-think the CG thing. I've used my fingers as my "CG Machine" from day 1. I even used my fingers on my 70" Slick! Mark the CG spot with a sharpie under the wing where it meets the fuse. Put your fingers on that spot and lift the plane. If it tilts towards the nose, move the battery back, if it tilts to the tail, move the battery up. Once you get the right spot mark the tray and set your elevator to neutral (mechanically, not using trim). Then fly it upright at 60-70% throttle and trim for hands off level flight. Flip it inverted and if she flies level you're done. If not then you need to shift your battery accordingly, reset all trims and start over.

You should be able to get it pretty dang close to neutral. I like flying most of planes at neutral.

As for coupling - don't be too concerned with that. One of my Edges had zero coupling at the neutral CG point and two of the others had some minor coupling. Just get your CG established (per above) and do whatever you need to do on your mixes to make like easier for yourself. BUT... if you get your CG right I think you'll find that you have very little to no coupling.
My perception based on reading this thread, is that most here set the CG either at 80mm (which is interesting as 3dhs labels it "sport") or 85mm and very few (if any) set it at 90.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I'm trying to get some POV video. Looking for a good position for the camera. Tried the wing root at the spar- too far forward, not enough reference and I nearly got sick watching. Going to try the horizontal stab angled in slightly to pick up the nose. Key fob camera stayed on during some pretty violent flying with only velcro . Hopefully video to come.
I used to do it on my other planes and really liked the advices/training I got as a result (e.g. you suppose to reduce the throttle on the downward loop part, etc'). Except you guys I don't have anyone else to give me feedback. I haven't done it on this plane since onboard video doesn't live up to the amazing videos that are on this thread. Plus, on-board 3D footage is probably nausea inducing. But, if you guys think it is practical to provide feedback based on onboard video I am game.
2 folks at the field have shot ground videos in the last two weeks and I have been chasing them for copies without much success which pisses me off (H-e-l-l-o, youtube?).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:28 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Quote:

so where did you measure you cg at? for your intial cg. i measured mine today from about 80mm. the day i maiden'd i flew it tail heavy for 2 batterys by accident. i kinda like it, cept for landing. landing tail heavy kinda sucked had to harrier land.
Sir???? Hooooo boy.... My dad was Sir...I'm just Steve...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
other than coupling mixes (which i dont think my edge needs any) are there any other mixes you guys use? differential, flaperons, spoilerons, etc?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Sir???? Hooooo boy.... My dad was Sir...I'm just Steve...

SteveT
buckwheat says, "O'tay. Missta Steve."
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:

80-90, I have no idea, put the pack in the middle of the tray and fly, adjust from there

when I started, tail heavy, made harriers a bit easier, no wonder I could never hover
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:50 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Quote:
buckwheat says, "O'tay. Missta Steve."
Well....I could have said "calling me sir, is like putting an elevator in an outhouse, it don't belong"....

And the way it was pronounced on "The little rascals" always sounded like "buttwheat"....and they also said.... "Hotay"....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
other than coupling mixes (which i dont think my edge needs any) are there any other mixes you guys use? differential, flaperons, spoilerons, etc?
Nothing else is needed IMO
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater