HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Putnam View Post
More pictures of the SFG and carbon gear mod.
Dang!! Sharp looking Edge Matt!!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Ok so looking at the rudder it looks like I have no binding holding anything up. If I move the linkage in a hole on the arm I am not going to have enough throw. So it looks like I may just snag a better servo for my rudder. Maybe just go HS85 like quad used on his knowing that I do need to use the longer servo arm due to having a dx6i. Shopping it is. LOL
Have you maxed out your servo end points (I believe it's travel adjust on the dx6)?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
jeez, just got planes out of the car, tools all lined out and ready to try and fix the rudder problem and got called back out to work.

i love my job, its money i hate
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:49 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Have you maxed out your servo end points (I believe it's travel adjust on the dx6)?
Yah it's maxed out. It seems to be just not travelling far enough under power. It should KE easily at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with rudder stick full over I would think and it just sinks about half the time. Going to pick up a hs85 and stick it in there tomorrow and give that a try and if that doesn't solve it then keep and eye on the classifieds for an hs85. Lol. And I'll begin digging elsewhere. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Long servo arm with a budget servo that probably has specs overstated equals not enough to hold it where it should while under power.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:06 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
think i found my rudder problem. looks like the guy that built it got the rudder off when he put it on the fuse. the rudder is centered. got the rudder horn perfectly centered by reverse'n the arm. but i measured the very aft tip/point of the elevator to the rudder on both sides and the side i have a problem with is about 0.5 cm difference from the other side. think that could cause my problem? is there a fix?

btw reverse'n the rudder servo arm help alot. thanks. thanks for ALL the help. maybe one day ill get to fly with some of you and yall can show me the GOOD stuff
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:24 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Long 3dhs arm. Currently linkage is on the 2nd hole from the outside. Probably try moving it in a hole as a first step in solving this.

Servo specs come out just about equal to the hitec but of course that is whats posted online and who knows if it actually is that. LOL I went the cheap route and I know it

Hoping to solve it with what I have but can upgrade if need be.

are u running 6v to the servo? and if you dont want to add more weight, you can allways take savox255 instead of hs85mg...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:19 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Dang!!! Looks great.

I added sfgs to mine too and they make a big difference. I went ahead and put vortex generators on it too which made just as big of improvement as the sfgs.
Nifty, got a photo of the VGs' on the Edge? I've been thinking of making some VGs' for my Edge.
3DeltaFly is online now Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Last edited by 3DeltaFly; Jan 09, 2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: addendum
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:06 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Yah it's maxed out. It seems to be just not travelling far enough under power. It should KE easily at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with rudder stick full over I would think and it just sinks about half the time. Going to pick up a hs85 and stick it in there tomorrow and give that a try and if that doesn't solve it then keep and eye on the classifieds for an hs85. Lol. And I'll begin digging elsewhere. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Long servo arm with a budget servo that probably has specs overstated equals not enough to hold it where it should while under power.
A 65MG is really all you need. It is more than strong enough for the job. I think I've got one or two spares laying around. Send me a PM with your address and ill send you one.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:24 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the offer turnerm, but I am just going to pick one up at the LHS later on today. I'll snag a 65 and an 85 so I am covered. I'll need 85s for my future 51 slick so if I get by with the 65 perfect. Supposed to be windy windy today but tomorrow is going to be perfect flying. Should be able to get it set back up later on and try it out tomorrow.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:55 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
think i found my rudder problem. looks like the guy that built it got the rudder off when he put it on the fuse. the rudder is centered. got the rudder horn perfectly centered by reverse'n the arm. but i measured the very aft tip/point of the elevator to the rudder on both sides and the side i have a problem with is about 0.5 cm difference from the other side. think that could cause my problem? is there a fix?

btw reverse'n the rudder servo arm help alot. thanks. thanks for ALL the help. maybe one day ill get to fly with some of you and yall can show me the GOOD stuff
Glad you found the problem.....If it's put in with CA, then get out the patience and the CA debonder and keep adding debonder and picking on it with an xacto blade, it will take a while.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:38 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post

btw reverse'n the rudder servo arm help alot. thanks. thanks for ALL the help. maybe one day ill get to fly with some of your and yall can show me the GOOD stuff
That is your horizontal Stab being glued in not quite perfect NOT the rudder. I had to read you post twice to figure out what you meant cuz I couldn't understand a crooked rudder. Anyway, .5cm is not going to affect how the plane flies much if at at all. Just don't use banging the rudder against the elevator as a reference for whether you have enough throw since it isn't quite the same amount on each side. When you build that backup airframe you will see what goes into putting that stab in there. It can be done perfectly but isn't uncommon to have it off a tiny tad. The rudder hinges are just glued into factory slots so it is highly unlikely there is a problem there.

Trust me there is no reason to pull that stab off and try to straighten it, you plane will fly GREAT as is.

edit: Ok I just read Jim's response and now I'm confused again.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Last edited by 3DNater; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I agree with Nate. You should see my 51" Slick. My horizontal stab ended up being WAY off and that thing flies great! I can look down over the rudder and easily tell that there's more space on one side than the other.

If yours is only off by .5cm then it is NOT causing your issue.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Ah but the stab being glued improperly as in offset to one side could at least visually make him think he is getting more travel on one side of the rudder than the other. That would make the cut outs on the elevator closer on one side than the other thus the rudder would hit one side and not the other. Am I over thinking this or are we still talking about the same problem or is this my senility kicking in again?
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:33 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Ah but the stab being glued improperly as in offset to one side could at least visually make him think he is getting more travel on one side of the rudder than the other. That would make the cut outs on the elevator closer on one side than the other thus the rudder would hit one side and not the other. Am I over thinking this or are we still talking about the same problem or is this my senility kicking in again?
It will limit travel on one side. No doubt about it. But that little tiny bit that he's talking about is completely a non issue.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:55 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Wedoitall, I have a couple questions to bring us back to earth since this issue is in the stratosphere by now.
1. Is your rudder working?
2. Are you able to do all the maneuvers you want to do?
3. Are you able to achieve the throws you want using all the means necessary (mechanical and/ or radio)?
3. If yes to one and two are you tired of dealing with this yet and just want to fly this bad boy?
Pardon the sarcasm but I think we have all beat this thing to death and you have been diligently doing all the checks (i feel bad that you are wasting good flying time). It was bought pre built and I think you said it is flying nicely. Fly it, learn and have fun man! Take it from a former triple A personality (now shifting to B, B+). If it does what you want don't sweat the little stuff and Huck the hell out of that thing. Get anal (if you want to) with your "spare" when you will have the building control.
Enjoy.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7