SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:57 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I did go with all recommended components (except for the ESC) on the first 2 Edges and all is good. Still running Omega 130 on 3s and 14x7E prop on number 4 Edge. I am using 3 Savox servos and 1 HS-85MG on the newest Edge and only ordered the OS 25 960kv because I wanted to try more power but stay on 3s. Could have gone to 4s on the Omega 130 but then you have to prop down to 12x6. Your point is valid in that the Edge with all recommended is just fine. But if we all flew it that way there would probably only be about 1/3 of the posts in this thread. No harm in speculating and bouncing ideas around.
Oh, absolutely. If that floats your boat- sail on! I feel bad for the new guys (and hopefully girls) that get confused with all the different combos. I remember when I got into electrics I felt like I needed a warehouse of components with all the different combos out there. That's one of the great things about 3D and EF and TH. they are doing some good work putting power combo suggestions together. The learning curve on the foamies was a bit frustrating since they invariably come under powered! That's part of this great hobby, tinkering and tweaking. However, as a dad of a 6 yr old tweak time is limited now.
Keep up the good work and tweak on.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:37 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
Couldn't fly the Edge today. On pre-flight checkup I noticed the right Ail is not moving. I flipped the Plane over and I see the 65MG smoking . LOL, it smelled really good too. Of course for some reason I didn't have a spare 65MG on me to match. I am happy I caught it on the ground but I don't think it would have crashed becuase of that. 1 Aileron (and of course a rudder) should be enough to bring it down safely.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:45 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I did go with all recommended components (except for the ESC) on the first 2 Edges and all is good. Still running Omega 130 on 3s and 14x7E prop on number 4 Edge. I am using 3 Savox servos and 1 HS-85MG on the newest Edge and only ordered the OS 25 960kv because I wanted to try more power but stay on 3s. Could have gone to 4s on the Omega 130 but then you have to prop down to 12x6. Your point is valid in that the Edge with all recommended is just fine. But if we all flew it that way there would probably only be about 1/3 of the posts in this thread. No harm in speculating and bouncing ideas around.
the savox 0255 is stronger than the 85, and would have been great on your elevator and faster. I love the sh-0255 servos. enjoy the plane.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
quadracer's Avatar
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Couldn't fly the Edge today. On pre-flight checkup I noticed the right Ail is not moving. I flipped the Plane over and I see the 65MG smoking . LOL, it smelled really good too. Of course for some reason I didn't have a spare 65MG on me to match. I am happy I caught it on the ground but I don't think it would have crashed becuase of that. 1 Aileron (and of course a rudder) should be enough to bring it down safely.
I had one lock up in flight once. It can be done.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:01 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Fellas, I've read the last couple if pages and I'm "tweaked out". If tweaking is your thing, knock yourself out, God knows there are endless possilities in this hobby and specifically electrics. I enjoy the flying. So, I'm puzzled why the stock setup from 3DHS isn't where you start? They do a great job (as does EF) on recommending setups. I think there are so many options out there we have a tendency to over think it. I run the omega with a 14x7 APC, hs65mgs w 3DHS arms and get great performance.
Before you get buried in the details try stock! It is quite possible to "tweak" out performance rather than improve it!
I'm honestly puzzled by this comment... I can see how you would think we are talking about "tweaking out" a bit but I don't see where your comment about stock comes in since most of the discussion has to do with servo setup. One of the purposes the forums serves is to share experience that is gained by the community that is NOT covered by the manufacturer. I also think that is one of the main reason many manufacturers work so hard to foster a lost of online discussion about their products. If we can help each other, then it relieves some of their burden. Telemetry is definitely not a must but adequate throw without blow-back is by no means a departure from a "stock" discussion.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:11 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Couldn't fly the Edge today. On pre-flight checkup I noticed the right Ail is not moving. I flipped the Plane over and I see the 65MG smoking . LOL, it smelled really good too. Of course for some reason I didn't have a spare 65MG on me to match. I am happy I caught it on the ground but I don't think it would have crashed becuase of that. 1 Aileron (and of course a rudder) should be enough to bring it down safely.
I'm glad you are in the habit of pre-flight I swear it is the one time you DON'T do it that you have trouble. This spring I crashed my 51 slick trying a rolling loop a little too low with a heavier than usual battery. The result was a pile of sticks. Meanwhile my 48 edge was in-between motors so I got the funny idea to put the 51 slick power system in the edge.

So there we were out at the field. The edge was loaded up with way too much power and weight ready to fly. A buddy was chatting with me about the setup and we were joking and speculating on what was about to happen. I connected the battery, put the canopy on as we continued our conversation. We continued to joke around and he asked if I was ready. I said I was and pegged the throttle. The edge leaped off the ground quickly and started to do a slow bank as it got out about 50 ft. I quickly realized that my efforts to correct the bank were fruitless and announced to my buddy that the ailerons were not connected lol.

Without further ado... here is the result

7-31-12 doomed edge flight (1 min 5 sec)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:27 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
dth7's Avatar
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I'm honestly puzzled by this comment... I can see how you would think we are talking about "tweaking out" a bit but I don't see where your comment about stock comes in since most of the discussion has to do with servo setup. One of the purposes the forums serves is to share experience that is gained by the community that is NOT covered by the manufacturer. I also think that is one of the main reason many manufacturers work so hard to foster a lost of online discussion about their products. If we can help each other, then it relieves some of their burden. Telemetry is definitely not a must but adequate throw without blow-back is by no means a departure from a "stock" discussion.
I get it! But when new guys come on the thread it's very easy to get overwhelmed by all the different set ups. I was just trying to let anyone out there who may be confused that you aren't going to go wrong with a stock setup and then adjust from there.
As we get deeper into this hobby of course trial and error, sampling different equipment and sharing all that is crucial. I support it and applaud it and have benefited from it. However I think it's fair to say that some do go overboard with the tweaking. A noob could easily get lost, that's all.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:55 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
Oh poor, Edge. One aileron working is not pleasant but flyable, two ailerons not working not so much.... Makes you wonder how those 3CH micros get away with it.

Did it ever flew again? It didn't look obliterated at the end of the video (which is amazing for a 50ft drop).

Must be the curse of the Blue Edge! I remember SM crashed this Edge or another blue one of yours when he reversed the ailerons, right? I guess it is not enough to do a pre-flight check, you need to make sure the controls are actually moving in the right direction...

I try to be good about doing a pre-flight check. Most people at our field don't. So when I do it, sometimes I will have someone ask with a genuine concern "are you having servo issues?", "are you having power issues?" NO! I am just doing pre-flight checks... Of course, it is all in vain when on the first flight of the day you takeoff to a hover. It will be a much better idea to do a few circles first...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:59 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Grr did not go out and fly this morning. Decided to earn my brownie points with the family and go out this afternoon and fly while weekend naps were happening. Lol. Of course now that I am free to do whatever wind has kicked up to around 20mph. And that amount of wind is no fun when it's 30 out. Haha. Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:00 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Oh poor, Edge. One aileron working is not pleasant but flyable, two ailerons not working not so much.... Makes you wonder how those 3CH micros get away with it.

Did it ever flew again? It didn't look obliterated at the end of the video (which is amazing for a 50ft drop).

Must be the curse of the Blue Edge! I remember SM crashed this Edge or another blue one of yours when he reversed the ailerons, right? I guess it is not enough to do a pre-flight check, you need to make sure the controls are actually moving in the right direction...

I try to be good about doing a pre-flight check. Most people at our field don't. So when I do it, sometimes I will have someone ask with a genuine concern "are you having servo issues?", "are you having power issues?" NO! I am just doing pre-flight checks... Of course, it is all in vain when on the first flight of the day you takeoff to a hover. It will be a much better idea to do a few circles first...
I fixed it in about 30 minutes I flew it hundreds of times since then including one crazy flight with that power system in it. It flew like crap... way too heavy but boy was it fast I recently crashed it again.

I was planning to fix it before the semester started again but I got sick with tonsillitis including the whole fever and chills bit. A shot in the butt and double dosage of anti-biotics has me recovering from it but I think I am still a few days from being 100%. School starts up again on Tuesday so I think the edge, along with my other planes, is going to mostly sit for the next few months.

P.S. the answer to the 3ch micros lies in dihedral
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:01 PM
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
3Daddict just for the record I do have the Savox 0255 on the elevator and ailerons, the HS-85MG is on the rudder.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:07 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
Feel better! I hated school. too much stress. Even when you are not doing school work, you feel guilty you are not doing it. With work it is kind of the same, only the guilt is smaller (and I usually don't work on the weekends)... Between school and work, I will take work any day... Hopefully you get to sneak an hour here an there to stay "in shape."
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:12 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I get it! But when new guys come on the thread it's very easy to get overwhelmed by all the different set ups. I was just trying to let anyone out there who may be confused that you aren't going to go wrong with a stock setup and then adjust from there.
As we get deeper into this hobby of course trial and error, sampling different equipment and sharing all that is crucial. I support it and applaud it and have benefited from it. However I think it's fair to say that some do go overboard with the tweaking. A noob could easily get lost, that's all.
I suppose I feel that way sometimes but other hand I think a noob will learn a lot by seeing things they don't understand and then asking questions. Also, I am sure many other folks do the same thing, but if I see someone is really confused by too much information I open up a dialogue with them via PM to help out. A few times this has lead to new friends that I chat with on google almost every day.

I say if people want to share and speak about their tweaking let them have at it. People, even noobs, are generally pretty smart and capable of making choices or seeking help when they need it.

I don't feel sorry for the noobs one bit. I remember being just as lost and how much fun it was to learn all of the important concepts. In fact, I suppose I envy them because that was perhaps the most exciting time for me in the hobby.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:42 PM
Fly Naked !
MARCOELDRAGON's Avatar
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Yeah it was a bit confusing to me too when I first found this thread. I knew I wanted this plane but had not pulled the trigger yet. So I lurked for about a week reading everything before I posted my first stupid questions. I read the entire thread and learned a huge amount. 4 Edges and about 10 months later here I still am only instead of asking stupid questions I am now giving stupid answers.

OK maybe I do have a stupid question, do any of you use differential on the Edge? Mine rolls very nice without it but I do use it on my Stryker, PZ Extra 300 and the 540QQ.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:51 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Feel better! I hated school. too much stress. Even when you are not doing school work, you feel guilty you are not doing it. With work it is kind of the same, only the guilt is smaller (and I usually don't work on the weekends)... Between school and work, I will take work any day... Hopefully you get to sneak an hour here an there to stay "in shape."
Thanks for the well-wishing School really had me stressed out before the Christmas break. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped and was really feeling burned out. After a few weeks of sitting around the house with nothing to do I'm strangely excited to get back. Amazing what time off will do for you when you really need it. This semester I am taking less credits but the ones I am taking are difficult. I'm sure Turnerm looks bak on Practice and Theory with fondness lol. I also have advanced Cost Accounting which looks to be fairly difficult.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 03:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 06:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 07:45 PM