Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wOf7...6hqqGUg0N_8QmA
LOL!! . I guess I'm still in my exploring stage with airplanes. I've loved everything I've flown (except those full fuse EPP planes) but I'm starting to enjoy the 60-70" planes now.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
turnerm,
I am subscribed to your Youtube channel. Do you really need anything else to fly? I tend to find something I like and stick with it. For example I only wear Lee jeans, I only wear Drakar cologne, have owned 9 Suzuki motorcycles and 8 Chevys. I fell for the Edge 540 from watching the Red Bull air races. Would like to have a 41", 58", 74 and that 92" prototype Joe Smith has been testing to go along with my 48's. I do try new things and just recently switched from leaches to pills to treat my high blood pressure.

someone once told me "variety is the spice of life"
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
Quote:
turnerm,

Heck... I just switched to leaches.....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
SFG mod to 48" Edge

Hey guys,
Just finished the SFG mod today. Hope to test fly tomorrow. Will report back when I do. For now here are the stats and pics.

All 3/16" balsa- one 3 foot sheet, pieces glued at seams with thin CA. One CF spar placed vertically in center.

Spacer is 3/16 balsa with blind nuts (2- 4-40 per wing) on back. covered with trim monocote and epoxied to wing tips.

Screws- 2- 4-40 x 1/2" with washers each wing.

See photos for the rest. design and assembly about 3 hours. Cost- approx $10
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Last edited by dth7; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
very nice, you got a link to the plans for the stand, I like that one
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
very nice, you got a link to the plans for the stand, I like that one
plans for the tand? i want plans for the SFG'S!!!! thats an awesome build by the way!
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
Plans for the SFGs, that's pretty much it- "KISS" (Keep it simple..." I pretty much winged it (no pun!), sketched it, cut, glued covered and screwed!

Stand, also KISS. 2- 5 foot 3/4" pvc (to fit in the Outback). 4- 3/4" elbows, 2- 3/4" 4 way cross, pvc primer and glue. 3' of 3/4" foam for 3/4" pvc, duct tape as needed.

* Dry fit it all first and mark the elbows so the stand isn't twisted and sits flat.

You are going to glue the crosses to finish with an elbow on each end. Top sections- 6" (4), lower sections- 1'(4) each. lower cross bars- 2'(2) each (I did not glue these so I could transport if necessary. Adjust the lengths as needed. You see how it fits a 48" plane. I'll attach a pic with a 60" fuse on it. I figure if I get a larger plane (ha, "if" that's funny). I can cut longer cross bars to lengthen. That's it, easy peesy lemon squeezey. Enjoy.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
plans for the tand? i want plans for the SFG'S!!!! thats an awesome build by the way!
Thanks, let's hope it flies better (not that it has to).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,943 Posts
Those SFG's look sweet!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Thanks, let's hope it flies better (not that it has to).
you have a scanner to upload it to RCG with?
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Hey guys,
Just finished the SFG mod today. Hope to test fly tomorrow. Will report back when I do. For now here are the stats and pics.

All 3/16" balsa- one 3 foot sheet, pieces glued at seams with thin CA. One CF spar placed vertically in center.

Spacer is 3/16 balsa with blind nuts (2- 4-40 per wing) on back. covered with trim monocote and epoxied to wing tips.

Screws- 2- 4-40 x 1/2" with washers each wing.

See photos for the rest. design and assembly about 3 hours. Cost- approx $10
Dude... those look awesome!!! Great job. Can't wait to hear how you like them. I put the EF SFG's on mine and I loved it.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
you have a scanner to upload it to RCG with?
let me try. Standby.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
OK, here you go. Good Luck.

You might want to wait for my flight report to see if it was worth the time! I have a feeling it will be.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Dude... those look awesome!!! Great job. Can't wait to hear how you like them. I put the EF SFG's on mine and I loved it.

Thanks!

Was that the orange one I saw a video of? If so between that and Cody's urging I decided to try it. I have an EF 60" Extra on the bench- Can't wait. Don't think I'll beat the cold and or snow for that one.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:21 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Great job on the SFG's, like that pvc stand too. Something I have been meaning to try too. Made a set for my PZ Extra 300 that worked just fine but didn't look nearly as nice. I might put a set on my Franken Edge.

Newest Edge arrived safely yesterday afternoon. Didn't get started yet due to wife and I getting some devastating news at work the night before. Made the very last house payment on Thursday. Went to work that night only to find out without any warning that our jobs and 26 others had been eliminated effective 12/01/12 due to the poor economy. Both of us are still kind of in shock. We were given a semi-decent severance package, better than I expected but not as good as it might have been. Sorry to air my personal problems here. Not really the place for it at all. Wife has her support group of friends, family and farcebook people. No pity or sympathy required just wanted to vent a bit. Guess my point is you never really know what is going to happen so make the most out each and every day. Please forgive me for bumming anyone out.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON