HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
I would not got that heavy on batteries. You will really be happier with 3s 2200's than 3000's. I have one gensace 3s 2500 that I fly all the time and I can feel the extra weight. It still flies good but I'd be hesitant to use anything larger. Plus 3s 2200's are so commonly used... I guess that is why they are always hard to find in stock.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I've also tried using 2500's and the weight penalty is absolutely noticeable. It's doesn't kill the experience to fly them but once you've flown with the lighter 2200 setup you'll notice the difference.

Personally I think the lighter you get this plane the better it is... But at some point you run into such short flight times that it's not worth it. That's where the 2200's come unit play. They are the best mix of weight and flight time.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Going with 2200s in mine. Tracking shows parts should start arriving tomorrow with airframe closer to end of the week.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
I have flown mine occasionally with a 2650 3s but like the 2200 better. 5/12 minutes of hucking is more than enough till I need a break.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
So, confession time...... I get everything ready to roll and order and I find out that its a pull-pull rudder!!!!!! RCG, in the 10 plus years of me building/flying, I've never built or flown a pull-pull LOL! Should I be intimidated?? I'm well aware of the advantages in flying a pull-pull system, but still!
MeSE-Rious#6 is offline Find More Posts by MeSE-Rious#6
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,641 Posts
No problems at all....just follow the instructions.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSE-Rious#6 View Post
So, confession time...... I get everything ready to roll and order and I find out that its a pull-pull rudder!!!!!! RCG, in the 10 plus years of me building/flying, I've never built or flown a pull-pull LOL! Should I be intimidated?? I'm well aware of the advantages in flying a pull-pull system, but still!
I was intimidated my first time too but it's not bad if you just follow the instructions. And if you have questions then ask here - that's what we (and I really mean Steve ) are here for.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,012 Posts
I fly mine on 4cell setup and although the weight is more, and noticable, it still flies awesome and fits my more aggressive style of flying. Light setups are great and I have a few but violent setups are much more crowd pleasing from time to time.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
I fly mine on 4cell setup and although the weight is more, and noticable, it still flies awesome and fits my more aggressive style of flying. Light setups are great and I have a few but violent setups are much more crowd pleasing from time to time.
Have you ever tried any of the EF planes? Many of them seem to be designed around a heavier setup and for violent flying. I've owned a few and they are awesome for that.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I was intimidated my first time too but it's not bad if you just follow the instructions. And if you have questions then ask here - that's what we (and I really mean Steve ) are here for.
Yup!! Ask away...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
My first pull/pull on my first edge was tricky but after doing it once I could do them in half the time after that. Even the first time it wasn't rocket science... just sort of a gaining confidence and coordination on how to go about it. The good news is any local hobby store should have spare cables etc. if you really screw it up.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
I like to use vice grip locking pliers for the crimp, you can control the force by adjusting and testing it before you make the crimp.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever tried any of the EF planes? Many of them seem to be designed around a heavier setup and for violent flying. I've owned a few and they are awesome for that.
Slightly off topic for a post but you got my attention. I have an EF 60" Extra on the way. Any recommendations? Planning on the rec Hacker setup (waiting on ESC!) with 3300 6 cell setup. Flew Cody's for a few minutes and liked it. Do you have one? With or without SFGs? Any other noteworthy help? Thanks

To keep on topic- Pull-Pull- no worries. As stated follow instructions, use tape on rudder and don't be too heavy handed on crimp (use some CA too!).
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Slightly off topic for a post but you got my attention. I have an EF 60" Extra on the way. Any recommendations? Planning on the rec Hacker setup (waiting on ESC!) with 3300 6 cell setup. Flew Cody's for a few minutes and liked it. Do you have one? With or without SFGs? Any other noteworthy help? Thanks

To keep on topic- Pull-Pull- no worries. As stated follow instructions, use tape on rudder and don't be too heavy handed on crimp (use some CA too!).
I flew the 60" Edge for a bit (sold it to fund my 70" Slick). It was awesome. I think you'll be happy with that setup. You should also consider a Motrofly 4315-714 with 4s. If you want to go 6s then just drop down to the 4315-480.

Both the 60" Extra and 60" Edge are great planes. You will be happy.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
I flew the 60" Edge for a bit (sold it to fund my 70" Slick). It was awesome. I think you'll be happy with that setup. You should also consider a Motrofly 4315-714 with 4s. If you want to go 6s then just drop down to the 4315-480.

Both the 60" Extra and 60" Edge are great planes. You will be happy.
Thanks. Have the 3DHS 48" edge so I went w the extra for a change. Doing some IMAC now and it looks like the extra airframe is better suited to that plus 3D. The 48" edge is a bit too floaty for nice lines but makes up for it with ballistic 3D! Hoping to get it all set to fly before snow here in NH. Esc is back ordered. Thanks. Did you use the SFGs ? Big difference?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Last edited by dth7; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM.