HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Either you have not re-trimmed your plane after each time you reset the CG, or your CG is not far enough forward...end of story!! No plane that is properly trimmed and has the CG correct will climb while inverted, again....end of story!!!

People take off, and the plane is tail heavy, they put in a bunch of down trim to compensate for it, they then roll the plane inverted, and of course it climbs while inverted. They then move weight forward to adjust the CG, but don't change the trim, and so when they roll it inverted it still climbs, and will continue to do so, until it has been re-trimmed...

As to the wire gear on both the 41" and 48"...Taking the wheel pants of only exacerbates the problem of landing on grass and bending the gear. If you leave the wheel pants on, they act as skis to help slide over the grass, a bit wider/ larger diameter wheels/tires, will help, but you don't need 3" diameter ones. I don't fly off of grass, so, no I don't have that problem, but I have flown off of both dirt and asphalt and the "only" time I have bent my gear was on a bad landing at Rancho San Antonio park in San Jose, CA, when I was caught by a wind "rotor" at the end of the landing area and slammed into the ground.

That said, for those people that must land on really rough areas or do not know how to land, then I highly recommend doing the gear mod so that in the event that the gear does need replacing, it can be.....simple as that...

SteveT
Right on SteveT!!

I've busted up at least 5 sets of CF gear on a couple planes over the past 2 years. We have TERRIBLE soil here with holes and cracks that could swallow some planes. I worked and worked and read Ben's landing instructions over and over for months.

The few times I could fly here this year I concentrated on mostly landing and it finally clicked for me this summer. Ever since I got my fingers to do the right things I have greased every landing since. These are with repaired, glued, wrapped and glued again legs and have had NO issues, even on my lousy pasture!!!

A properly set up 3DHS plane can be brought down with basically no stress on the gear, wheels or fuse. It took ME way too long to learn this but man, all that practice was worth it!! As it turns out, though the ground presents a real problem, the real issue was me slamming the plane into the ground and not flying it TO the ground.

Float like a butterfly, land like a tank will tear up the gear on ANY plane! I'm glad I know this now.

Jeff

Can't wait for the wind to relax so I can maiden the Edge with some confidence!
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
Last edited by jcfab; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
807 Posts
Here's the link because it will be asked for again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post18469604

Ben, I need some rewards points for this.

The advice is spot on. Thanks and thanks for a great product.

Jeff
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,104 Posts
practice dead stick landing all day with the edge, never bent the gear, if you fly it to the ground (nose down attitude) and flair at the last second this will land itself, if you insist on continuously holding up elevator and bobbing in for a landing you will plop like a pancake and bend the gear everytime
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:57 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Great landing advice guys! Takes some discipline and practice to let it come in nose down like that and know when to flair. Going out in while for some flights and promise to give this method a try.

OK I'm back and did 4 landings out of 5 per the above recommended advice. Not bad at all no bent gear. Getting the timing of the flair just right was not as bad as I expected. It does carry a bit more momentum and thus more of a ground roll than I am used to. Last flight I did a parachute into a harrier I plopped down right where I intended and only rolled about 2 feet but did slightly bend the gear.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Update
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
Rodrigo Navarro
Mexico, NL, Monterrey
Joined Aug 2011
56 Posts
Hello there. I have a question. Is there any motor/ESC alternative for the EDGE? it seems that the Omega 130g is out of stock. May be from headsuprc? Thanks in advance.
ronaca88 is offline Find More Posts by ronaca88
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
The Motrolfly 2815-950 would be a great choice for this plane. I've had great luck with the Ice and Ice lite esc's
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Addicted to 3DHS.
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
3,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaca88 View Post
Hello there. I have a question. Is there any motor/ESC alternative for the EDGE? it seems that the Omega 130g is out of stock. May be from headsuprc? Thanks in advance.
As far as a speed control goes get yourself a castle creations ice lite 50. hands down the best one out there for this plane. As far as motors I am running a Hacker A30-14L swinging a 14x7 prop on 3-cell 2200 mah batteries.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:33 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,810 Posts
Quote:
Im running the Motolfly 2820-950 on 4 cell and 12x6 apc prop. Also using the Motrolfly 70a esc. It is ballistic on the 4cell or you can run a 3cell on a 13x6 prop and have a bit lighter setup. Ive tried both and I dont believe the extra weight of the 4cell hurts the flight characteristics much at all but I do fly fast and violent maneuvers with it. Great plane on this setup
Click HERE for motor info and HERE for esc info
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,947 Posts
Personally, I absolutely hat "stick programming" on ESCs.....the Castle ICE lite 50 amp is really the way to go...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
877 Posts
Quote:
They should be able to set you up but that Omega combo is nice. Is anyone running 4 S on the omega. 130?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
499 Posts
Quote:
The Motrolfly and Hacker would be excellent choices.

If you are looking for something more economical take a look at one of the Exceed RC Rocket motors.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb92-3020-950kv.html

Put it with a 50 - 60 amp Hobbywing, ZTW, or Proton ESC. I've used several of the Rocket motors with the above ESC's; the performance has been very good at an economical price point.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
They should be able to set you up but that Omega combo is nice. Is anyone running 4 S on the omega. 130?
I tried 4S with a 12x6 on my Velox and I kind of liked the way the 14 x 7 slows the plane on downlines with the throttle chopped better than the 12 x 6.

Jeff
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:20 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Omega 130 is perpetually out of stock for a good reason, it is a great motor for the price. Mine has been bulletproof for over 400 flights including 4 bad crashes and countless prop strikes. Another decent alternative might be http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188

If you don't intend on trying 4s then the Castle Thunderbird 54 has served me well.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Exceed RC Rocket 3020-990kv Brushless Motor for RC Plane this is what I put in mine with a 2200 3 cell and a 14x7 prop work very well for me
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
Exceed RC Rocket 3020-990kv Brushless Motor for RC Plane this is what I put in mine with a 2200 3 cell and a 14x7 prop work very well for me
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb26-rocket-3020-990kv.html
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member